Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I join the discussion about chain types, etc. , it seems that one part of the answer to "why so many chain types, sizes and styles?" is "Just because they can."

On the other hand, when I tried an experiment with .325 pitch, .063 gauge chain, filed for ripping, I got a disappointment. While this small chain can be used for ripping on a chainsaw mill with a Husky 375 or a Stihl 066, it failed on a Stihl 090. On a fine sunny day I broke two of these chains, twice each, as I proceeded to cut up just two 20" by 12 ft. hickory logs into slabs. The sheer torque of the 090 just stretched the small links of this narrow kerf design to the point of failure. ( Not to mention that a Hickory felled for two weeks can probably only be exceeded in toughness by Pecan. )

Was it the chain's fault? No. It would have been fine, if I had not exceeded its strength by combining Hickory doing battle with a Stihl 090's 137cc. engine!

Phil L.

Looks like 9/16" pitch chain to me. Very oddball stuff. There is a market for it. Collectors want it for old saws. There was also .354 pitch.
Here's what I know exists

.250 1/4" almost all .050 guage
.325 .050,058.063 guage
.354 .050 that I know of
.370 3/8" low profile .043, .050
.375 3/8" .050,.058,.063
.500 1/2" .080 that I know of
.5625 9/16" don't know the guage
.750 3/4" Harverster chain

Chain size:

Hi Mange. As Sedanman has said the 30mm chain looks like 9/16" pitch chain and the 2.3mm thickness looks like it close to .063 gauge. Hope this helps. Lewis.

Mange

I am with you 100%. I have trouble understanding why so many different chains. You were on the money as the old saying goes when you came to this site for help and correct informaction on chains

They will test you sometimes to see how thick your skin is as you know by now. your post with the red face.

All these guys have a Big Heart and will help any time they can. I have not seen any one that asked a question that the members did not do all they could to help.

I have never posted for help on any problem on this site that the members did not come up with the correct answer.

In my opinion this site is second to none

Doug. (NC)

Looks like 9/16" pitch chain to me. Very oddball stuff. There is a market for it. Collectors want it for old saws. There was also .354 pitch.
Here's what I know exists

.250 1/4" almost all .050 guage
.325 .050,058.063 guage
.354 .050 that I know of
.370 3/8" low profile .043, .050
.375 3/8" .050,.058,.063
.500 1/2" .080 that I know of
.5625 9/16" don't know the guage
.750 3/4" Harverster chain
I also had 7/16 on my Mobilco Big 10 131cc

Basically, it has to do with the size of the chain and cutters.
The progression goes like this (from small to large):

3/8" Narrow kerf, low profile (LP)
.325 Narrow kerf LP
3/8" LP
3/8"
1/2"
3/4"

The size of the cutters get progressively bigger, the weight goes up, the height goes up, the width of the cut gets bigger, the guage of the metal gets thicker, and the drive link spacing gets longer.
You want to match the size of the saw's motor with the chain. Small motor, small chain. Big motor, big chain.
Some saws work about the same with two different size chains, but by changing the the sprocket size and cutting presure you might get a faster cutting speed with one chain over another.
The guys that soup up their saws will often have to go to a larger size chain to get them to cut the best. Filing a racer's edge on a larger chain is much easier too, but if you don't have the power, a larger chain will slow you down.

You missed out 1/4 pitch chain, I also always understood that.325 NK chain was standard size but just cut a narrower slot

You missed out 1/4 pitch chain, I also always understood that.325 NK chain was standard size but just cut a narrower slot
.325 chain is the pitch, how far apart the rivets are, so .325 is .325, but each manufacturer can have different metal thickness, chain link thickness, cutter width and stagger (which controls the kerf width), and even though the drive link is a specified thickness, some manufacturers carry the thickness of the drive link all the way up, and others are thicker on the part of the drive link that is about the rails, which make the chain a little wider. Not all chain of one size is the same.

.325 chain is the pitch, how far apart the rivets are, so .325 is .325, but each manufacturer can have different metal thickness, chain link thickness, cutter width and stagger (which controls the kerf width), and even though the drive link is a specified thickness, some manufacturers carry the thickness of the drive link all the way up, and others are thicker on the part of the drive link that is about the rails, which make the chain a little wider. Not all chain of one size is the same.
It must be the Christmas Spirit what I meant to say was I understood .325 NK was std size not Lo Pro

Latest posts

Back