Chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razrburns

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum and need advice.

A friend has several felled trees on his property, free for the taking. Of most interest are a 40" diameter red oak 31' long; and a 29" diameter poplar 42' long. These are limbed, and there are several smaller logs on the lot.

What size saw, power head / bar length should I get for bucking these logs?

Depends on how often youll be doing this.

Sounds like a 70cc saw with a 28" bar would serve you well.

Cut from both sides.

If its gonna be a contiuous thing, a 90+ cc saw.
I agree with this. If you cut a lot of big trees a big saw is nice. However I find myself using the big 70cc class saws with a 28" bar more. Either way there are several saws on here for sale that would fit your bill. I have the dolmar 7910s and have a 394xp husky. @ELECT6845 has several that would work awesome for you including most of the upper husky line up. 385,390,395.

If not continuous, I'd still want 60cc. A 40" oak is a lot of oak lol.
60cc???!!!!. I want that saw then. ;). Lmao. Just razzen ya. But yes. If he has a lot of trees a good 394xp,395xp,660,661 would be his best bet. But if just has a couple to do then normal cutting the 7910,ms460,576xp would serve him well with a 28" bar.

OK, maybe I'm reading into this a little too much, but...

I'm just wondering if the OP has much if any saw experience to be jumping into 70-90cc saws. I would think someone who knows his way around saws fairly well would have a pretty good idea of what size equipment is needed for the task at hand. No offense or sarcasm intended to the OP here. If you don't have much experience with saws, or larger and more powerful saws, please be very careful and wear your PPE.

If I am wrong I apologize and agree with the advice previously given.

60cc???!!!!. I want that saw then. ;). Lmao. Just razzen ya. But yes. If he has a lot of trees a good 394xp,395xp,660,661 would be his best bet. But if just has a couple to do then normal cutting the 7910,ms460,576xp would serve him well with a 28" bar.
Oh I agree with you. But most noobs (for lack of a better term only) are a bit frightened by a 70cc saw. If I only had 1 40" oak 30' long, and a 28" poplar, and a bunch of smaller stuff, and could only have 1 saw? I'd work my way through the oak with the 036 and a sharp chain, rather than cut pecker poles with a 395. But it's better to go big and not need it than go small and wish you did

No offense taken Ride-Red.

Just gathering info from those with more experience. It's been more then a decade since I've done any work with chainsaws over 40cc.

Before I invest in a bigger saw I want to make sure my research was correct. All the feedback lines up with what I was expecting, and is greatly appreciated.

Good call on PPE, those that don't use it end up crippled or dead.

OK, maybe I'm reading into this a little too much, but...

I'm just wondering if the OP has much if any saw experience to be jumping into 70-90cc saws. I would think someone who knows his way around saws fairly well would have a pretty good idea of what size equipment is needed for the task at hand. No offense or sarcasm intended to the OP here. If you don't have much experience with saws, or larger and more powerful saws, please be very careful and wear your PPE.

If I am wrong I apologize and agree with the advice previously given.

If I were closer I'd come put some gas through my big saws and buck them up for you. If these are a couple rare big trees you are tackling, I'd go with a 60cc saw as well. They are a nice do it all size. You'll have to be patient with a light hand in big oak though. There might be a member in your area that would enjoy letting it rip in a big oak also.

My ported 036 pulls a 28" no problem. Same as a stock 044. But, its out of balance, and the OP is looking for a stock saw (I assume).
Really? If its stock, I'd like to see that. How does it oil a 28" bar. I am thinking not so good.

ms880 thats been masterminded

Well now thats just cheating a man out of an
all day job and turning it into a half an hour
job. I know because I helped two fellows with 70cc saws that were in that predicament. My ported 880 with 36" bar saved those two guys a ton of work. THEY saw the value of just such a saw. My MM 395has taken over those duties at almost 5 lbs less weight.

Latest posts

Back