Chainsaw as a gift, looking for thoughts on two models

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, should have been more clear. While I can't say for certain, he'll probably get rid of the MS290 after he gets this saw.

Fair enough. That changes everything.

You shoulda bought the 362...

If you get him the 362 and he runs your 261 a few times, you’ll be going home with the 362

Win win

Don't let him judge a 261 on the first five tanks....they take a while to break in. A long while. I think they are made with good metal in the engine.

Yeah, I read that a lot when I was looking to buy for myself too. I didn't notice any sudden change with mine, but I'm definitely happy with the power I get out of my 261 with an 18" bar. I've had the length of the bar buried in red oak a good bit already with no power issues. Maybe helps that I had nice new chains too I suppose.

Anyway, settled on the 261 at this point, planning on picking it up tomorrow. Appreciate the input everyone. Really just needed some feedback and to bat some ideas around.

My MS260 is my go to saw, and it's fitted with a 16" .325" bar using a RS chain and a 8 pin rim drive.It cuts like a fiend and is easy to handle. If I need more, I just fire up a bigger saw.
If for some reason the 261 comes up short in the power department, a porting job and a muffler mod will move it closer to a stock MS362 at a lighter weight.

I've got a good old 026, but, decided to sort of retire it, so, i picked up a 261 just the other day, really like it, good weight, i was going to go with the 20'' bar/chain, but, decided to get the 18'' set up instead. Dandy saw, good power, i'm impressed with it. Don't think you can go wrong with the 261, i will do the muffler mod though. Oh, i'm 71 lol.

I vote 362, It’s a very fine saw. I think the extra weight is worth the power. I ran a farm boss one time when all I had ever owned was 360 saws and I didn’t think much of it compared to them. But I’ve not run many between 200 and 360 class saws and I’m a rather large man so weight probably has a lot less value to me.

I've got a good old 026, but, decided to sort of retire it, so, i picked up a 261 just the other day, really like it, good weight, i was going to go with the 20'' bar/chain, but, decided to get the 18'' set up instead. Dandy saw, good power, i'm impressed with it. Don't think you can go wrong with the 261, i will do the muffler mod though. Oh, i'm 71 lol.

Wait until you run a dozen tanks through it. Mine woke up noticeably. A muffler mod and timing advance goes a long way too.

MS241

Once you have a good 40cc saw you will always want to have a good 40cc saw.
Today I was working storm damage. Used my Echo cs352 and Echo cs490.
The 34cc saw feels much lighter after a while but cuts so well. It's not 40cc but kinda reminds me of a bigger saw. So much torque. The cs490 is 50cc and is a good cutting saw. My Sthil 024 is (i think) 42cc but it doesn't seem to cut any faster than the echo cs352. No timed cuts, just working the saws and judging how they get it done. Almost 73 but I really enjoy running my saws. I've worked so hard so long I can't imagine not running my equipment. My baby brother isn't even 70 yet and he sold his farm, all his equipment and bought a travel trailer. No thanks. I'm sitting here, almost 3 am warming beside the wood geater feeling great. Tired feels good. Keep your chain sharp, bar clean and chaps on. It's a good life. Smile.

Back