chainsaw backpack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andym

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do trail maintenance that requires carrying a chainsaw into the woods. Sometimes we'll have to hike in a few miles so a backpack to carry in the saw, fuel, oil, and other supplies would be nice. Any tips on making one or where to buy an affordable one?

Trail saw

I carry my saw (036) on my shoulder when clearing trails, with a Pack Shack cover over the Stihl blade guard. My gas goes into MSR bottles and my oil into an old Nalgene bottle. I put all the other stuff -- wedges, scrench, extra bar and chain, etc. into a rucksack and run an axe through the pack's loops. Prior to the Pack Shack cover, I just wrapped a square of foam around the blade guard and duct-taped it in place. Saw rides nicely on your shoulder for miles and miles. Just make sure you your gas cap is tight (how would I know that?)

Having just graduated to a 362, I'm not sure how my home-made bucking spikes will carry on my neck. The little ones that came on the 036 never got in the way (or worked very well either).

Be very careful when carrying a chainsaw on your shoulder. Make sure the guard can NOT come off the bar by accident. There has been more than one person cut their jugular by tripping with a saw on their shoulder. I used to carry my saw that way till I happened across a safety article about it on the net.
I note that you use a cover over the bar guard. Is it for keeping the guard in place ? If so, I think it would be a good idea to stress the danger of having the saw on the shoulder when suggesting it to others. Just a heads up to help keep our heads on.
VA

That's one of the reasons I wrap the Pack Shack scabbard around the blade guard. The scabbard has Velcro strips that cinch up real tight to the guard, as well as having a compartment for a scrench and other small tools. Just because I've never had a scabbard slide off while carrying a saw on my shoulder doesn't mean it couldn't happen, so point taken. The hot muffler used to remind my neck when I had it too close, and all my fleece jackets have a little melt spot from my 036. The Pack Shack scabbard has a strip of leather that covers the muffler.

Assuming that like me, andym has a lot of ground to cover when sawing, I was giving him an option to a backpack. I have seen guys use freighter-frame backpacks for their saws and they fumble around a lot between cuts. If I'm clearing storm damage or over-winter deadfalls, I'll be bucking a tree every fifty feet-- too short a distance for the mount/remount on a freighter pack. I would consider a freighter if I was after some distant blowdown and knew I would be carrying the saw for miles before I used it.

Check out the Dakine Builders Pack, I do trail work as well and I have been thinking of getting one. Lugging a saw in hand is no fun.

What kind of trails are you working on?

Matt.

Check out the Dakine Builders Pack, I do trail work as well and I have been thinking of getting one. Lugging a saw in hand is no fun.

What kind of trails are you working on?

Matt.

Mountain bike and hiking. I've looked at the Dakine pack but the bike shops that would really give me the hook up on them can't get them. I was hoping to find some inspiration here for a DIY backpack or something cheaper than the Dakine.

We'll be hiking in to do our trail work but there is one stretch where it could potentially be 8 miles of hiking with saws. It's funny, one bad winter and a forest service manager that previously refused to give us sawyer class is now asking us when we want it.

If you're hiking that far before cutting, a backpack is a good idea, though some of those soft side packs could get a little hard on the shoulders going that distance. My trail club (PATC) has used Cabelas freighter frame packs for hauling gear, and I would suggest you consider one of those. The shelf can hold your saw and the hip belt and padded shoulder straps balance the load. Plenty of room to cinch on other stuff.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_516484&id=0015826515437a

If you're hiking that far before cutting, a backpack is a good idea, though some of those soft side packs could get a little hard on the shoulders going that distance. My trail club (PATC) has used Cabelas freighter frame packs for hauling gear, and I would suggest you consider one of those. The shelf can hold your saw and the hip belt and padded shoulder straps balance the load. Plenty of room to cinch on other stuff.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_516484&id=0015826515437a

Looking at all these packs is giving me ideas. I'm thinking something like an external frame hiking backpack with a "basket" similar the the True North pack with pouches and loops for extra fuel, oil, tools, lopers, a pulaski, etc. The wheels in my head are turning. :dizzy:

Id go to an army surplus store and start with a ruk-sack. The new army/marine corps issue pack bags are very comfortable and can accomodate anything you would need to attach to it but they are not too cheap.

Did I hear cheap, easy to fab saw carry rig for the backcountry? Doesn't get any easier......
attachment.php

attachment.php

Military pack board, a few pieces of scrap 1x3, a bit of 4" PVC, some webbing, a few screws and about twenty minutes.......... Done. I doubt I've got more than $7 bucks into it. You could probably do the same thing with an old external frame pack, I usually see them for less than $10 at garage sales all summer long. I've used a wildfire saw pack too, but they are pricey for the casual user and I don't care for the bar up position if I can help it. I do the shoulder carry with a carefully padded saw for short duration but if you gotta hump it far in difficult terrain where both hands may be needed.............

That bike pack looked interesting, but have yet to find one on a rack somewhere......or even a shop that could get their hands on it. Somethings I'll buy over the web, backpacks, boots and technical stuff that I can't put my hands on aren't on that list.

Great ideas, I normally just lug my saw and/or machette in hand for trail work but they're getting longer and longer...
Will have to check the local surplus places for one of those alice packs.

Be very careful when carrying a chainsaw on your shoulder. Make sure the guard can NOT come off the bar by accident. There has been more than one person cut their jugular by tripping with a saw on their shoulder. I used to carry my saw that way till I happened across a safety article about it on the net.
I note that you use a cover over the bar guard. Is it for keeping the guard in place ? If so, I think it would be a good idea to stress the danger of having the saw on the shoulder when suggesting it to others. Just a heads up to help keep our heads on.
VA

Awesome advise, I never thought about that happening. It would be too late if it did happen in all likelihood.

Yea, I used to carry the saw on my shoulder from the house to the woods. No bar guard, just the thickness of a winter jacket for shoulder padding. Never thought about it being so deadly. Just happened to come across that internet article ( wished I could find it again ) about the danger. It pointed out how the teeth were set up in a perfect position to slice your neck if the saw should slip due to a stumble or trip. It also referenced some accident reports. That was about 5 years ago, and I haven't had a bar on my shoulder since then. Don't get me wrong, I would be willing to shoulder carry if I had a bar cover that could be properly secured in place, but I don't have one.
I used to think the danger started when the engine did.
VA

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back