Chainsaw Carb Upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna or stihl?

• Total voters

BigTeddy

Reaction score
So I have 3 chainsaws - 1 poulan, 1 homelite, and 1 husqvarna. All are residential saws, all I dislike to a varried extent.

It seems to me, the big problem with these saws are the carb/air filter assembly. Their pretty ******. So I was wondering if you could upgrade to a pro carb and filter. I understand that it would need (probably) an adapter to fit the engine, rework the metal pins that connect the throttle and choke, possibly a custom fitted top cover. What im not sure about is weather it would function properly. For example, the homelite is a 42 cc engine. If I take the carb from a pro husk or stihl that is for a 60 cc, will it still work? if so, will it need different settings on the jets and throttle stop? or will i need to use a carb from a similarly sized engine? can I use a carb from a smaller engine?

Just a disclaimer - I fully intend to buy a pro saw, Ive used them and serviced them, and they are SO much easier to work with than my residential saws. I only think of this because I have the saws, and if I can get them running like a pro saw just by reffiting the carb, then it seems like a better option to me.

So I was wondering if you could upgrade to a pro carb and filter.
It would be a lot of work and it wouldn't be an upgrade. Bigger saws have bigger carbs, but they're not really any better. Sure, there are many differences between carbs (how the LO, HI and transfer circuits are fed, how the chokes work, if they have accelerator pumps, how the check valves and main nozzles are made, etc.), and some are better than others - but it's a difference in detail, not in kind. They all pretty much work the same, they're really rather cheap, and have the same kinds of vulnerabilities and problems.

Sometimes you can find a larger carb of the same series form different variations of the saw you have, which saves having to adapt shafts and such. Likely the carb that is on it will easily handle the extra flow from basic mods like a muffler mod. A filter mod might make more sense if it works poorly as-is.

Back