Chainsaw chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark wins.

I have a few of these Plano-style tackle boxes, for regularly used presets (these are Oregon). And a large shoe box of *labeled* Zip-Lock bags for odds and ends.

Presets Box.jpgPresets ZipLock.jpg

*I can't emphasize labeling enough* No fun to sort through a pile of identical looking, tiny parts, trying to decide about a millimeter or two of difference (like Narrow Kerf and Standard chain of the same gauge).

Philbert

Mark wins.

I have a few of these Plano-style tackle boxes, for regularly used presets (these are Oregon). And a large shoe box of *labeled* Zip-Lock bags for odds and ends.

View attachment 882795View attachment 882796

*I can't emphasize labeling enough* No fun to sort through a pile of identical looking, tiny parts, trying to decide about a millimeter or two of difference (like Narrow Kerf and Standard chain of the same gauge).

Philbert
Agree on the labelling... Although those labels mean nothing to an inquisitive child who for some reason has to tip out the contents of every bag to "look at them"

I have several used spur drives and a few used bars that I can run the older chains on.
I save my old bars/ sprockets and chains in case I have to cut down close to the dirt where I don't want to risk wasting a new bar and chain.
Thanks for the input.
I have a complete go to saw just for stumps and fence rows. I use my chains that teeth are almost worn out,
BUT I do not keep nor run a stretched chain.
A stretched chain will ruin a roller tipped bar and sprocket because the pitch on the chain is not the same as when new.
If you have a used chain that is suppose to be correct for the saws pitch/gauge and drive links count and you put it on a good bar and it's too long, you need to give it a toss.

Agree on the labelling... Although those labels mean nothing to an inquisitive child who for some reason has to tip out the contents of every bag to "look at them"

You need to take a time out for that child.
That is what my mom and dad did, they took a time out for me and the seat of my britches. (and it was just what I needed)
Some of my school teachers also took a time out on me with a oak paddle with holes drilled in it and them holes in the paddle cut down on their wind resistance during their swing.
Also these time outs reduced the onset of ADD in them days.

I got the same treatments I desereved every one I got from my parents except one.At our resort we had 1941 Kohler light plant 115 volt DC.The only time it was used was on Sat for my mother to do laundry.The water was hauled up from a hole in the lake by our horse Queenie.It was stored in tubs in the basement .My mother heated a big copper boiler on a propane burner and used a Maytag square tub wringer washer.Mom was out side hanging clothes I was 5 years old I was sailing a wooden boat my older brother had cut from a 2x6 well the boat jammed the machine the magic smoke was coming from the motor.I ran out side to get my mother she loved to talk and was talking to the neighbor tried to tell her but by the time she came in it was to late.My dad gave me a light licking but my dear mother explained that it really wasn't my fault.
I think my dad was trying to think were he was going to come up with the money for a motor.
6 kids and you have zero income from OCT till mid May and it was April really lean times.

Wow Kash:
You guys were uptown.
We had no electric, outdoor privy with Sears and Roebuck catalog, deep water well and had to draw water, bathed in pond in summer or galvanized tub when ponds and creek got cold or sponge bath every once in awhile, went to town on Saturday in a wagon, mom washed cloths outside in a big old wash kettle with wood fire, dad and mom done the doctoring, no going to the Dr. unless it looked next to death and was usually what it was if headed towards a Doc.
Good ole days. (and did not know it then)
Us kids made our own toys, went barefoot most of time, tried to watch out for where the chickens had pooped, that black type chicken gooey mess between the toes sure was stinky when trying to remove it with a stick. I seen lots of animals and some of our dogs with rabies.
Watching kids now days with their high dollar cell phones, well you know.

You can take the kids out of the country but You cannot take the country out of the kids.

Back