Chainsaw chaps: How many use 'em?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasatch Stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how many forum members use chainsaw chaps, and what they think of them?

I have a very healthy respect for my saw(s) and their potential for serious injury. I saw a few youtube videos of testing chainsaw chaps and they were very enlightening. I've never owned a set, but I'm about to order some.

I don't see the downside of using them, but wanted the opinions of those more experienced.

Thanks,

don't cut without chaps

after what I've seen on AS, search 'worst injury' 'safety' etc
I've missed some great cutting weather, but my chaps are arriving Monday from Bailey's.

I doubt I qualify as "more experienced", but I wear them every time I use the saws. Form that habit early, and never regret later.

A boss I had caught the chain in the inner thigh. That is a scar I will never forget...

put my forester pants on soon as i leave home to cut. cheap insurance against losing a leg

I tried to develop a routine.
1. Chaps
2. Helmet with ear protection
3. Dust mask when cutting dirty oak

I think I am most surprised to see people cutting on videos without ear protection. OOUCH. I do not want to lose my hearing either but a leg would be bad enough.

Word of advise. Do not buy cheaper equipment. I got the cheap helmet from baileys and have had problems, it is a POS. I will someday get the quality helmet from baileys.

I wear the chaps.
When i don't forget to put them on.

Lee

+1

I especially do when bucking firewood, As I need to maneuver the saw, wood and my self constantly. It is one of those "only takes one time things"

I've got chaps and pants. I wear the pants most of the time for real cutting, they're just more comfortable to wear and don't snag up in every thing. I like the chaps better for GTG type stuff or the quick little "cut a few things around the house" type jobs. Easy on easy off, but also easy to "forget" to put back on.... especially when it's hot. ;)

I've got chaps and pants. I wear the pants most of the time for real cutting, they're just more comfortable to wear and don't snag up in every thing. I like the chaps better for GTG type stuff or the quick little "cut a few things around the house" type jobs. Easy on easy off, but also easy to "forget" to put back on.... especially when it's hot. ;)

I hear ya on the when its hot part! I finally bought a pair this past winter..Found a pair with the Poulan Pro logo on them..lol, Figured they were just the ticket for me.
Actually wore them for the first time couple days ago, was sunny, 80"s.
These things are Black, let me tell ya, they might be dandy in the cold weather, but got to be quite warm, after a half hour in the heat.:cry:

I got them basically for GTG's and such, I know most hosts prefer you wear them. Maybe I can learn to wear them, and not forget, like I usually do.:dizzy:

:cheers:
Gregg,

I do

I wear chaps, hard hat, chainsaw boots. when i was younger i cut my thigh with a saw (not a bad cut, just a scrape, but was very lucky). So I wear them. I watched my brother bounce the tip of his bar off the toe of his boots (steel toe kevlar chainsaw boots, so no injury). we were about 30 minutes away from the trucks by 4 wheeler and about an hour drive to the hospital from where the trucks where. both of these incidents were very minor but could just as easily been very serious life threatening accidents. so yes i wear them and don't care what anyone says. the only down side to chaps are they are hot in warm weather and they do restrict movement some so they take some getting used to. the safety advantages far outweigh the disadvantages IMO.

Scott

I have not worn mine in quite a while. They were mandatory on a lot of felling jobs. Quite a nuisance to deal with in the brush/rain/heat. I sawed myself 3 or 4 times back in the old pre-chaps days. That may be when I got the sawdust in my blood! Once I opened up my left knee like a book. That was about 30 years ago. Went and dug them out a while back and the rats/varmints had "had at 'em"..................Bob:cheers:

Absolutely. Can't believe I ever used to not wear them. I have the Husky 9 layer ones. After a minute, I forget they're on. They don't bother me at all. Plus, when it's really hot out, I've been known to wear shorts under them (I know, I know...). I always wear steel toe boots, earmuffs and safety glasses, too. I hardly ever do any falling so I forego the helmet, though.

Hey Wasatch, make this a poll if ya can buddy. May bring out those guys who don't where them haha. I will be honest, I don't where them. I always wear my steel toes, gloves, glasses, and depending on what kind of work I am doing- a hardhat. I will grab a pair for the GTG's, and should start wearing them when I work.
I do have a bad habit of not wearing ear protection. I drop trees quite a bit, and like the hear the tree as I am cutting. No excuse for my cutting on the ground, I just feel like ear plugs restrict one of my better senses (I know how stupid that sounds).

I have not worn mine in quite a while. They were mandatory on a lot of felling jobs. Quite a nuisance to deal with in the brush/rain/heat. I sawed myself 3 or 4 times back in the old pre-chaps days. That may be when I got the sawdust in my blood! Once I opened up my left knee like a book. That was about 30 years ago. Went and dug them out a while back and the rats/varmints had "had at 'em"..................Bob:cheers:

Sorry Mirkaba.... nothing personal, but post's like this always amuse me. :laugh:

I don't care if you wear'em or not... some do some don't and I aint the safety police... it don't hurt me one bit. I just always have to chuckle when I see these type answers. :laugh:

How many times do you have to get hit by a car before you realize playing hopscotch in the freeway might not be a good idea?? :laugh: :cheers:

(long time lurker, first time poster)

I wear my camo Stihl chaps and helmet/hearing protection all of the time; boots and gloves most of the time.

A couple of days ago, while bucking some longer pieces into 16" lengths right here in the driveway, I realized that when the saw same out of the last cut the chain (still running fast) came within just a few inches of the back of my knee (I was kinda twisted sideways and using my left leg to hold a piece of wood down). Chaps wouldn't have helped me in this situation as they are open in the back.

So.... I'll be A) taking time to to more safely set up my cut and B) looking for some pants for those times when I'm being lazy & stoopid.

I don't own a pair of chaps, I use chainsaw trousers instead. I wear these 99% of the time, the only times I've used a saw without has been a five minute job, on level ground, cutting wood at sawhorse level. Anything else and it's time to go get changed...

Also wear chainsaw boots, and have a pair of chainsaw gloves. Haven't ever needed any of these, but I'd rather pay for the kit and never use it then cut myself badly!

The one piece of PPE which is absolutley essential to my mind is ear muffs. Everything else is there to protect against something that could happen, ear protection is for something which will happen!

cheers,
Joe

Back