Chainsaw chaps: How many use 'em?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

026 and a knee

attachment.php

Maybe future son in law did this before Thanksgiving. I got him a pair of Stihl wrap chaps for Christmas.

Maybe a few lessons wouldn't go astray either....

That's gonna hurt for a good long while every time he bends his knee. Tough spot to heal up.

What are chaps and brain bucket and earmuffs for but protecting you from the little lady when she throws rocks at you?!?!?!?

Seriously Don't leave the truck without 'em.

Wow! I leave the computer shortly after my original. post come back the next day and there's over 100 responses.

I wish I had been smart enough to make this a poll as procarbine2k1 suggested back on page 2!

I did however review all the responses and tally the results:
Those who wear chaps: 33
Those who wear pants: 6
Those who don't use either: 13

Note: some use both chaps and pants. I gave credit to only one category.

I also found it interesting that so many folks mentioned using hard hats, eye and ear protection, as well as steel toed boots.

I thank all of you for taking the time to respond and share your experiences.

Wow! I leave the computer shortly after my original. post come back the next day and there's over 100 responses.

I wish I had been smart enough to make this a poll as procarbine2k1 suggested back on page 2!

I did however review all the responses and tally the results:
Those who wear chaps: 33
Those who wear pants: 6Those who don't use either: 13
Note: some use both chaps and pants. I gave credit to only one category.

I also found it interesting that so many folks mentioned using hard hats, eye and ear protection, as well as steel toed boots.

I thank all of you for taking the time to respond and share your experiences.
Somewhere out there are thirteen naked woodcutters. An image that will haunt me for a while.

Don't use chaps. Don't know anyone who does. That being said, I do understand that I should. Safety glasses all the time. Helmet while falling but never while climbing.

Don't use em. I have a pair but found out snagging in the brush sometimes is more dangerous with chaps than without them. I always use a helmet when felling, steel toed boots, good grip gloves and eye protection.

As for hearing protection, being around turbine engines, drag racing, sprint cars, OPE all of my adult life, I STRONGLY recommend them. At the last check about 40% loss in the left ear 32% in the right ear. He said I will have hearing aides by the time I'm 60.

However, sometimes with the wife, that's a good thing.

:dizzy:

Ear protection all the time, often plugs and shooter muffs together
Chain saw resistant gloves most of the time - most of my "nicks" come from chains when the saw is off
Steel toed boots most of the time
Chaps - most of the time,
glasses to read so I usually don't go the extra eye protection.
Helmet - not often, usually nothing above me yet.

I'm curious as to how many forum members use chainsaw chaps, and what they think of them?

I have a very healthy respect for my saw(s) and their potential for serious injury. I saw a few youtube videos of testing chainsaw chaps and they were very enlightening. I've never owned a set, but I'm about to order some.

I don't see the downside of using them, but wanted the opinions of those more experienced.

Thanks,

After a near miss a few years ago that ruined a pair of jeans but missed my leg, I don't even pick up my saw with out my chaps on.:chainsaw:

It's a good idea for the less experienced to wear a hard hat all the time when cutting. Not condescending here, I've just seen some hard hat visors with kickback tracks. Luckily in those cases the chain brakes kicked in>

It's a good idea for the less experienced to wear a hard hat all the time when cutting. Not condescending here, I've just seen some hard hat visors with kickback tracks. Luckily in those cases the chain brakes kicked in>

I try always to wear a hard hat with face screen. Many times I cut citrus trees and the danger is above your head with those nasty thorns! Drop a tree and if a branch rubs my bald head, for 2 weeks I will be spiting out profanity in every language that I know each time I look into the mirror!

Last edited:
I try always to wear a hard hat with face screen. Many times I cut citrus trees and the danger is above your head with those nasty thorns! Drop a tree and if a branch rubs my bald head, for 2 weeks I will be spiting out profanity in every language that I know each time I look into the mirror!

That I gotta hear! Cussing in three or four languages is a talent seldom heard round these parts.

:hmm3grin2orange:

:dizzy:

Our company has a policy that's written in stone, no starting a saw that has a chain on it without wearing chaps. Period! No exceptions, ever! Not even for me, (and I own the company).

You just can't go wrong with the full serving of PPE.

Latest posts

Back