Chainsaw chaps: How many use 'em?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calf-wrap chaps all the time. Used to pass on the helmet till a top came out and dropped right down my back rolling me pretty good. I always think about something my mom said about accidents (car, mc whatever), "that's why they call them accidents, otherwise they'd be called on purposes". Gear up.

:agree2:

If I can add a pun: "deaf by a thousand cuts"

You will loose your hearing over time if you don't use hearing protection. If you're absolutely convinced you can be careful enough to avoid injury of other types, fine, but you can only avoid hearing loss by wearing hearing protection.

Yep. It's not a matter of opinion, and I don't care how much experience you have. This is a FACT. You ARE damaging your hearing if you are not wearing ear protection. The damage is cumulative, and it's permanent, and you will NOT like getting into your 50s or 60s or whenever it catches up to you, and finding you can't hear your little girl or granddaughter taking to you, and you find you have become one of those annoying old men who is always barking at people to SPEAK UP, WILLYA!

Chaps? I never cut without them.

One time recently I started to pick up the saw before I had my chaps on, and all three of my older boys stopped me. That felt good. :)

I never cut with out; chaps, glasses, forsetry helmate and my chip steeltoes. :cheers:

Last edited:
I've used a chainsaw off and on for the past 35 or so years, and never gave much thought to PPE except for glasses, hearing protection and leather gloves. After joining here because I needed a bigger saw, I did some extra reading. The next day I ordered full wrap labonville chaps from Bailey's and dug the steel toe boots out of the closet. I've got probably 1/2 dozen plastic hats here too, from lightweight bump caps to "build up your neck muscles" hard hats. I still hate wearing 'em (the hats).

may be an older thread but still relevant

old thread I know but came across this thread & this video & you know what, I'm a believer. Although this is an arm could be a leg. I personally have better things to do then cut myself. I'm actually looking at getting a pair of chaps or pants with my new saw purchase today, yup, now I know the extra 15% EXTRA COST is worth it, later

P1 - Deep Forearm LAC due to Chainsaw accident - YouTube

Last edited:
old thread I know but came across this thread & this video & you know what, is a believer. Although this is an arm could be a leg. I personally have better things to do then cut myself. I'm actually looking at getting a pair of chaps or pants with my new saw purchase today, yup, now I know the extra 15% EXTRA COST is worth it, later

P1 - Deep Forearm LAC due to Chainsaw accident - YouTube

arr dang the crew will get that youtube link very sobering seeing the result

Just started wearing them,don't know what the big deal is.Help more in brush than hook on stuff.All the PPE in the world won't fix stupid that doesn't mean you should avoid wearing it.Earplugs since the beginning of time,same with safety glasses/Orr perscriptions,steel toes can't stand 'em,helmet and face guard considering it more for running machine in brush than cutting.My Dad was a Safety Hygenist for industrial insurance company,pounded paying attention and keeping my eyes open into me(sometimes literally).

Ive been running saws for the last twenty years for a living. The first ten never wore anything but sunglasses and ear plugs. Between my previous employeers and my three kids im much better. Im still hit or miss with chaps. Ive watched people ppe head to toe who cant run a saw get hurt. Like anything else we all have the choice so dont pull the blame if something goes wrong

Chaps

I always wear mine I didn't have none for a while..then I got my 044 and I got a pair I aways wear them and highly recommend them...they also save your legs and pants from briars...I look at it this way my 90 dollar chaps are replaceable and I would rather ruin them than go to the hospital and get 100+ stitches. ..stay safe everyone!

Ran a chainsaw off and on for 35 years with out chaps or anything. Bought a pair of chaps this year, put them on, 15 minutes later looked down and saw where the chain had nicked them. Got a forrestry helmet for christmas. 2 months later helping nephew cut firewood. Didn't step back fast enough and he dropped a tree. Upper branches caught me on the head. Thank goodness I had that helmet on. Don't think twice about gearing up now. Good habit to have.

Just started wearing them a few months ago. LOVE them! Wouldn' cut without them.

I look at it this way, I'm a young married guy who doesn't make a lot of money and I have a 1 year old boy. I simply cannot afford a trip to the ER and the bills that come with it. I would be risking my family's standard of living and as the head of the house I'm not willing to do that.

Hellbent :rock:

Just started wearing them a few months ago. LOVE them! Wouldn' cut without them.

I look at it this way, I'm a young married guy who doesn't make a lot of money and I have a 1 year old boy. I simply cannot afford a trip to the ER and the bills that come with it. I would be risking my family's standard of living and as the head of the house I'm not willing to do that.

Hellbent :rock:

You're exactly right. Priorities change when you have a family and a lot of finacial responsibility. I started wearing chaps and PPE when workplace safety required it but I wear them all the time now. Put it this way, if I'm out of work we lose the house etc etc just like you've said. I've spent 1000's of hours on saws and dropped 1000's of trees and the more time you spend on saws the higher the risk of an accident whether it's your fault or not. Experience doesn't necessarily mean you can't get hurt.

Oh heck, I suppose I should by a pair of chaps. I always wear steel toes and gloves, and my helmet for falling or cutting higher stuff. It makes sense to wear chaps too - I also don't want to be a burden to my family by making a stupid mistake and having no protection.

I have a pair of dark blue Husqvarna chaps that I always wear when cutting with the saw or my big brushcutter. I got them BNIB on Ebay for like $40.00

I enjoy having legs.

Back