chainsaw clutch cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panama13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I purchased a Husqvarna 55 Rancher.
I'm trying to assemble it.
How on earth do I get the clutch cover back on?
It's getting the brake band around the clutch drum that's the problem.
Thank you!

Thank you, I think I did. I followed the instructions in the book but it is my first chainsaw.

Okay did I stump the panel?
Many have read yet few have replied?????

Please state what you may perceive as the obivious - I'm simple and my not have realized the obvious.

Thank thee my friends.

Alot of Husky models (not all) have a couple of tabs on the edge of the side cover that have to be inserted into the female side where the cover sort of attaches to the rest of the saw.
Either that or they gave you a part from another saw.

The obvious was suggested already...

Lets' assume that the saw came with the side cover on the saw. Was it easy to take off or hard to take off? If it was difficult to remove the chainbrake is on and the brake band was grabbing the clutch drum. You may have inadvertantly engaged the chainbrake after removal while fumbling around to put the cover back on. Hold the side cover firmly and push the chainbrake forward. You should hear a loud click as the brake band snaps tighter. If you hear no click, your chainbrake has already been engaged and can be disengaged by pulling back toward you. The next step would be to make sure that the pin for tensioning the chain is properly lined up with the bar if it is mounted in the side cover.

Your dealer should have shown you how to do all of this in any event. Maybe a trip back to see him is in order.

Make sure you read all of the first 18-20 pages of the manual that discusses safety and proper use and maintainence.

Hopefully you find this helpful.

thank you

Thank you all for the help!
It must be the chainbrake is on and I will continue the battle.

Your chain brake is on. Put the cover partially on the saw with the bar studs protruding through the matching holes on the clutch cover. Then pull back on the gray brake handle until the brake "pops" and the chain brake will be off, allowing you enough room to put the cover back on. This will take some force, as a new Husky saw always has a stiff chain brake.

saw cover

Like others have said firmly hold the cover inplace and pull back on the break handle, after you get it together watch that your chain break band stays in place, it tends to pop into your chain when activated.

Latest posts

Back