• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Chainsaw File Size

carlc87

carlc87

I purchased a New Stihl MS 271 with a 26 RM3 81 chain. Everything I read says I should be using a 3/16 (4.8mm) file. BUT the dealer sold me a 13/64 file should I return it or is the smaller file OK?

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
I purchased a New Stihl MS 271 with a 26 RM3 81 chain. Everything I read says I should be using a 3/16 (4.8mm) file. BUT the dealer sold me a 13/64 file should I return it or is the smaller file OK?
Your dealer sold you the wrong file. You should also seriously consider the $25 "orange wrap" kit specifically for your .325 chain. It is the ful sharpening kit.

NIP Group

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AND sharpening with the wrong size file is depressing and quite common.
You should get yourself one of the little plastic Oregon chain ID thingie.
You can then find a pitch to file chart. If you have any low profile or sometimes called pico chains use the file pitch chart. You can find the chart by searching online or maybe someone will post it for you. search for chainsaw file saw vs chainsaw pitch chart print it out and hang it up in your shop with the Oregon pitch ID card.
Like this:

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
The file you got is generally used on 3/8 chain which is the next size up. But...on new .325 it will work OK. I say use it until you visit the store again and just buy some 3/16 files. No big issue.

SAWMIKAZE

SAWMIKAZE

Addicted to ArboristSite
I always use 13/64 on .325 chain, makes a better cutter for me and helps clear chips better.