Chainsaw File Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlc87

Reaction score
I purchased a New Stihl MS 271 with a 26 RM3 81 chain. Everything I read says I should be using a 3/16 (4.8mm) file. BUT the dealer sold me a 13/64 file should I return it or is the smaller file OK?

I purchased a New Stihl MS 271 with a 26 RM3 81 chain. Everything I read says I should be using a 3/16 (4.8mm) file. BUT the dealer sold me a 13/64 file should I return it or is the smaller file OK?
Your dealer sold you the wrong file. You should also seriously consider the $25 "orange wrap" kit specifically for your .325 chain. It is the ful sharpening kit.

AND sharpening with the wrong size file is depressing and quite common.
You should get yourself one of the little plastic Oregon chain ID thingie.
You can then find a pitch to file chart. If you have any low profile or sometimes called pico chains use the file pitch chart. You can find the chart by searching online or maybe someone will post it for you. search for chainsaw file saw vs chainsaw pitch chart print it out and hang it up in your shop with the Oregon pitch ID card.
Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OREGON-Cha...=33361161483331f9001020b44208be4332e452fb1422

The file you got is generally used on 3/8 chain which is the next size up. But...on new .325 it will work OK. I say use it until you visit the store again and just buy some 3/16 files. No big issue.

I always use 13/64 on .325 chain, makes a better cutter for me and helps clear chips better.

He’s a Stihl dealer what do you expect? Should of purchased a Husqvarna lol

Back