Chainsaw fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where i get my gas the E85 and Efree pumps are stand alone pumps. Nothing else goes through them.
Dang i wish Mine were like that, I did notice recently the stickers on the 93 were gone that said ethanol free. I asked the tender guy and he said it was the same as always. I’m wondering if some law made them no longer claim that since they are on the same pump.

Where i get my gas the E85 and Efree pumps are stand alone pumps. Nothing else goes through them.

The answer to that is yes and no. It all depends on the vendor and the fuel station.
I have a friend that delivers fuel to gas stations, and whats on the pump label and whats actually in the tank can be different.
If there premium tank is empty and all they have on the truck is regular, some stations will put regular in the premium tank, cause they can charge more for it.
I even saw a report where a driver was dumping toxic wast into his fuel tanker and delivering it to his customers without them knowing about it.
US weights and measures only has a hand full of inspectors and tens of thousands of stations to inspect.

Dang i wish Mine were like that, I did notice recently the stickers on the 93 were gone that said ethanol free. I asked the tender guy and he said it was the same as always. I’m wondering if some law made them no longer claim that since they are on the same pump.

Us weights and measures can only inspect so many stations a day. The average inspection is every 4 to 5 years so they can get away with a lot.

The answer to that is yes and no. It all depends on the vendor and the fuel station.
I have a friend that delivers fuel to gas stations, and whats on the pump label and whats actually in the tank can be different.
If there premium tank is empty and all they have on the truck is regular, some stations will put regular in the premium tank, cause they can charge more for it.
I even saw a report where a driver was dumping toxic wast into his fuel tanker and delivering it to his customers without them knowing about it.
US weights and measures only has a hand full of inspectors and tens of thousands of stations to inspect.

This place is family owned by Americans for many generations (can you believe it?). They sell fuel oil, kerosene, have about 15 diesel pumps for semis, they fleet deliver fuel to big companies and fill their trucks onsite, and are closed on Sunday. I’m not worried about these guys. Sign out front was BP but now its Marathon.

They’re prices are a little higher than others but i like supporting them.

This place is family owned by Americans for many generations (can you believe it?). They sell fuel oil, kerosene, have about 15 diesel pumps for semis, they fleet deliver fuel to big companies and fill their trucks onsite, and are closed on Sunday. I’m not worried about these guys. Sign out front was BP but now its Marathon.

They’re prices are a little higher than others but i like supporting

Nothings 100% but it sounds like a place I would trust for sure since you know them so well and there history.

You can order 5 gallons of 95 octane ethanol free SUNOCO brand just like their 110 stuff. It's about the same price for me local or net

Sunoco optima it's called. 95 octane, 0 alcohols. You can order it online but some sunoco stations carry it in the 5 gal jugs. One local to me has it for 68$. Still more expensive then pump gas but cheaper then any premix.

Here’s some more stuff on avgas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas

Check out “grades”

The 100LL is all I have ever seen from Texas to Kansas, but I realize that doesn’t make me a world traveler! Those specs say half the lead of the old gas from back in the day. Looks like race fuel is twice the lead 100LL.

I can buy av gas right now at the cc pump for only .50 more than super unleaded.

I quit VP C12 for racing when it went over $4, I realize that’s a long time ago! I did buy a tank of Sunoco 110 at the sand dunes about 10 years ago for $12 a gallon! It’s funny to see all the kids on stock ATV’s up there shelling out for “race fuel” When I was a kid we could still buy leaded farm gas dyed red. We always ran it in the 4 wheelers and dune buggy’s, and some old tractors. dad called it race fuel, I believed it was since I saw the hot Roders using dyed fuel too! I thought I was really cool burning it at the river.

Does lead contribute to lubrication in 2 strokes? I’d like some scientific data because I can see it being good or bad. I can’t make any conclusion since about the time lead fuel went away 2 strokes were drastically lowering oil/gas ratios due to unrelated quality of oil.
Race engines are always very clean inside after being run on Avgas, of course this could be due to optimum state of tune.

They put lead in AV gas ‘cause a lot of planes are old. Old school engines didn’t have hardened valve seats and lead cushioned the valves

When I first started pumping gas back in the 70’s, all gas was leaded. I loved when somebody pulled up to the Boron pump...that stuff smelled awesome!

I have a 290 thats 11 years old. It's had avgas since day one and still has the original fuel lines and all. It sits a lot and doesn't get used on a normal basis. I use it because of the storage life and a side benefit is no ethanol. I know of several saws much newer than mine and they've had fuel lines replaced.

Correction, I said av gas but I meant VP. my bad.

I took a trip out to Buc-ee's today and they had ethanol free fuel for $3.19.9 It also had it's own pump and hose that was not connected to the other pumps. I got 25 gallons and filled my truck up.

The 100LL is all I have ever seen from Texas to Kansas, but I realize that doesn’t make me a world traveler! Those specs say half the lead of the old gas from back in the day. Looks like race fuel is twice the lead 100LL.

I can buy av gas right now at the cc pump for only .50 more than super unleaded.

I quit VP C12 for racing when it went over $4, I realize that’s a long time ago! I did buy a tank of Sunoco 110 at the sand dunes about 10 years ago for $12 a gallon! It’s funny to see all the kids on stock ATV’s up there shelling out for “race fuel” When I was a kid we could still buy leaded farm gas dyed red. We always ran it in the 4 wheelers and dune buggy’s, and some old tractors. dad called it race fuel, I believed it was since I saw the hot Roders using dyed fuel too! I thought I was really cool burning it at the river.

Does lead contribute to lubrication in 2 strokes? I’d like some scientific data because I can see it being good or bad. I can’t make any conclusion since about the time lead fuel went away 2 strokes were drastically lowering oil/gas ratios due to unrelated quality of oil.
Race engines are always very clean inside after being run on Avgas, of course this could be due to optimum state of tune.
Negative on the lead content. 1.2 to 2.0 grams per US gallon is a bunch more than car gas ever had. (Not race fuel) .
I’ve spent my 2 cents, thanks to all.

Ok here is the breakdown from race fuel to ethanol free pump gas.
I bought a 5 gallon can of VP U4.4 at Sunny's race shop and it was $88.43 total. 105 octane.
Went to Buc-ee's and there ethanol free fuel was $3,19.9 per gallon.
I filled up 5... 5 gallon cans and the total was $79.99 for 25 gallons. at 92 octane. Less then one 5 gallon can of race fuel.
Regular 89 octane in my area runs $199.9 on average. Supper runs $2,25 average at 91 octane.
I bought the U4.4 for my race bike because I need at least 105 octane in my high compression motor.
But unless your running over 11:1/ 12:1/ 13:1 or higher you dont need a high octane fuel. Your just wasting money and if it's not properly jetted you could do more harm then good.
I tune my bike on the dyno and adjust jetting according to how well the numbers read.
I don't know what the compression rating are on chainsaws but my guess since they mostly run on pump gas there somewhere between 9:1 or 10:1. You could increase that with some mods but then your stuck needing higher octane fuel to keep it from running hot.

I haven't had the chance to try the ethanol free fuel I got at Buc-ee's yet. I wanna use up what I already have mixed.

Negative on the lead content. 1.2 to 2.0 grams per US gallon is a bunch more than car gas ever had. (Not race fuel) .
I’ve spent my 2 cents, thanks to all.
2.2 grams was the max spec for automotive fuel. But I can’t find anything on how much was actually in it. I guess it depends how junky the gas was. Looks like you could basically make low octane crap gas and dump TEL in it until it hit the octane rating desired basically for free.

I’d like to know what kinda power these cars today could have if you could run them at 12:1! No telling what fuel savings we could get if the timing wasn’t retarded all the time.

2.2 grams was the max spec for automotive fuel. But I can’t find anything on how much was actually in it. I guess it depends how junky the gas was. Looks like you could basically make low octane crap gas and dump TEL in it until it hit the octane rating desired basically for free.

I’d like to know what kinda power these cars today could have if you could run them at 12:1! No telling what fuel savings we could get if the timing wasn’t retarded all the time.

Not sure what the compression ratings are on the supper high end performance cars like the Vet, Camaro, Mustang, Viper, or challenger. But they all have PC controlled fuel injection systems and timing adjustments, that are supposed to maximize the fuel you use, because not all fuels are equal. I suspect they are running at least 11:1 but probably not more then 12:1 and with PC mapping aps you can tailor your performance to your liking. Gone are the days of just building motors to your liking or doing any real mods to the parts that we used to get away with in the old days.
Back in 1965 a 350 vet had about 325 HP, now there getting 400/500/almost 600 HP off the same displacement right off the showroom floor. That's crazy HP for most drivers to handle, that why they had to add traction control so people wouldn't be crashing or loosing control. Turn the traction control off and they can be a hand full even with a very experienced driver.
But as they always say, HP sells cars, torque wins races.

Another thing about octane ratings. Octane numbers reflect the flash point of that fuel. The lower the octane the less heat it takes to ignite the fumes, the higher the octane it takes more heat to bring it to the flash point.
The myth is high octane race fuel is less stable under high heat conditions, making it very dangerous. But it's actually the other way around.
Then there are additives that make some fuels vaporize more easily then others, and it's the vapors that burn, not the liquid. So the lower the octane the less heat it to make it burn, the higher octane need much more heat to ignite it.
Because high compression motors running low octane will pre ignite under extreme pressure with no spark to ignite it. Thats is what the knocking comes from. The low octane fuel is flashing before the piston gets to top dead center causing dieseling or knocking. It trying to force the motor to run backwards. Using a high octane fuel need more heat and pressure so ity wont ignite till after the piston has reached top dead center and the spark plug then ignites it when it on the down stroke rather just before the up stroke is complete.
87 octane will ignite and a much lower temp then a high octane fuel will. So high octane fuel is actually safer because it takes more heat to ignite it.
I hope that makes some since.

Latest posts

Back