Chainsaw heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryland

Reaction score
I just bought a husky 565. I got the 20” and 28” bar. I haven’t put either in wood yet but of course I’ve played around with it. My question is how hot should the bar and chain be getting from just running the saw without cutting? I ran my 28” for maybe 30 seconds just to make sure everything was good to go and when I went to recheck tension and take it off the bar and chain we’re pretty hot. Hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch. Seems like a decent amount of oils getting to the bar. I tightened the chain so when I pull down there’s a 1/8 gap between the chain and bar. Is this normal or should I be looking further into this?
Thanks

Sounds like the chain is a little tight but even if the chain is too tight, the bar shouldn't get too hot to touch. Are you sure the chain and bar gauges are the same?
I’ll be honest I’m not sure. I’m new to chainsaws. How can I find out what the chain is. My bar is a 3/8 93DL - 1.5mm. The only marking on the chain are an 85 and a “c”. I counted the drive links and there’s 93 of them

If it’s a Stihl chain there is a little number on the driver (the part that goes into the bar). 3 for example is .050. I think 6 is .063.
The box the chain came in should have the gauge marked on it. The bar should have it marked as well.

Latest posts

Back