Chainsaw idiots.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True but 90% of homeowners don’t run a saw all day long. they might run literally one or two minutes four times a year.

i’m not a personal advocate for true fuel or similar, because at eight dollars a quart that’s $32 a gallon, but I’ve recommended it to several people who truly will not use up that quart can in a year or two and the storage ability seems to be worth it.

Even worse. Then they have to replace a $75 battery (whoops, just looked it up - $159!!!) every couple of years when they don't maintain it. And, it locks them into a manufacturer. Gas is universal across manufacturers, and $5 worth will run a saw all day with minimal interruption.

Nah, Joe Sixpack homeowner will have a DeWalt/Ryobi/Harbor Freight/whatever cordless drill or something that they'll use regularly and keep the battery maintained for, and they all make saws too. Just get the saw that uses the same battery.

Better yet for light duty occasional use, most power tool companies make something like this.
View attachment 831102
I have a best friend that is trying to become more proficient and home maintenance, fixing things, etc. He has a smaller place in the suburbs with a few trees on his property. I encouraged him to just get a battery powered saw. They have more than enough run time for anything he'd ever do, and if he had a gas saw it would just end up with deteriorated fuel lines and a gummed up carb.

Nah, Joe Sixpack homeowner will have a DeWalt/Ryobi/Harbor Freight/whatever cordless drill or something that they'll use regularly and keep the battery maintained for, and they all make saws too. Just get the saw that uses the same battery.
Only if you buy everything at the same time. Otherwise, you're likely to go back and find that they've changed to a new, incompatible battery on the newer tools, so your previous investment in their batteries is pretty much worthless. (DeWalt, I'm looking at you!)

Oh, and where's the Ryobi cordless drill which takes the 80 V battery?

Since you mention ryobi specifically. They have used the one + platform for years. Like I mentioned in a previous post, there are plenty of other attachments out for the battery systems. Weedwackers, blowers. Heck I even seen a battery powered push mower. And the battery taking a crap in the usable life span of a home owners equipment is more or less moot. By the time the batteries are shot, the equipment is normally close to shot too.

Only if you buy everything at the same time. Otherwise, you're likely to go back and find that they've changed to a new, incompatible battery on the newer tools, so your previous investment in their batteries is pretty much worthless. (DeWalt, I'm looking at you!)

Oh, and where's the Ryobi cordless drill which takes the 80 V battery?

Chill bro, you're looking for nits to pick.

1. The odds of a power tool company changing batteries are way less than the odds of pump gas going bad in a saw.

2. Ryobi doesn't make an 80v anything, that's not what I said. Given your comment about other batteries, you know that's not what I said, too.

Chill bro, you're looking for nits to pick.
Don't presume to tell others what to do.
1. The odds of a power tool company changing batteries are way less than the odds of pump gas going bad in a saw.
100% is not way less than anything. DeWalt has already discontinued 14.4 and 40 V products (well, there's still a 40 V lawnmower on their site, just looking for a sucker to buy). Ryobi discontinued their 24 V line.
2. Ryobi doesn't make an 80v anything, that's not what I said. Given your comment about other batteries, you know that's not what I said, too.
Sorry, I should have said Kobalt, which was the one originally brought up. Strange that you didn't include that among the brands of cordless drills people were likely to have.

Don't presume to tell others what to do.
100% is not way less than anything. DeWalt has already discontinued 14.4 and 40 V products (well, there's still a 40 V lawnmower on their site, just looking for a sucker to buy). Ryobi discontinued their 24 V line.
Sorry, I should have said Kobalt, which was the one originally brought up. Strange that you didn't include that among the brands of cordless drills people were likely to have.

The idea was "go buy a saw that you already have batteries for." Everyone understood that, including you.

Go look for a pissing match somewhere else, I'm done with you.

I've often wondered about what you can do with battery powered tools if the batteries became obsolete / NLA. I wonder if all those "proprietary" batteries all use similar 1.5 volt cells soldered into a battery pack? It could be possible to buy these individual cells and "rebuild" a battery pack.

The idea was "go buy a saw that you already have batteries for." Everyone understood that, including you.
Absolutely. You apparently don't understand how well you've supported my point. If someone had invested in the DeWalt 40V system, it's gone away and one can no longer "go buy a saw that you already have batteries for."

I've often wondered about what you can do with battery powered tools if the batteries became obsolete / NLA. I wonder if all those "proprietary" batteries all use similar 1.5 volt cells soldered into a battery pack? It could be possible to buy these individual cells and "rebuild" a battery pack.
Generally, they can be taken apart and rebuilt. Most have aftermarket replacements available, too. Manufacturers tend to continue selling the batteries for a while, even if you can't get new tools for the system you chose to invest in.

The lithium ion batteries seem to be 3.6 volts nominal and 4.0 volts peak so the 18 volt and the 20 volt batteries have 5 in series (often a second set in parallell for a total of 10) just how marketing chooses to call things. 18mm diameter and 65mm long is 18650 which most use now. I see gadgets to convert from one brand to another and there are videos on youtube comparing the generic copies to the origionals. Choose the brand wisely, can still get the 9 volt Makita ones from like 25 years ago.

Li po is 3.7 volts per cell nominal. With a low voltage cut off of 3.2 volts per cell. It has a very linear discharge rate. As far as aftermarket support it shouldn't be an issue as long as it was popular. When I got my first snap-on impact it was rated for nimh or lipo batteries. The lipo battery never became popular with this model. It's close to 10 years old and has a strong aftermarket support for batteries. Dewalt, makita, and many more are the same way.

How could I not include this picture of my SP40 when I bought it? Look at the chain:
Besides being on backwards, That's a barracuda chain, meant to be on a saw that has the grindstone attachment for sharpening it. Could well be the dumbest thing McCulloch ever produced, probably cut just as well on backwards.

Besides being on backwards, That's a barracuda chain, meant to be on a saw that has the grindstone attachment for sharpening it. Could well be the dumbest thing McCulloch ever produced, probably cut just as well on backwards.
How can you tell it's a Barracuda chain? Those funny looking rakers?

Also...it's a 1/4" pitch chain!

Back