Chainsaw idiots.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has those funny looking teeth so that the grinding stone held against the chain as it revolves around the drive sprocket will be able to actually make contact with the cutting edge. These chains were more like scraper chains then cutting chains and never cut worth a damn, most saws were fitted with a standard chain real early and the sharpening mechanism either removed or just ignored.

It has those funny looking teeth so that the grinding stone held against the chain as it revolves around the drive sprocket will be able to actually make contact with the cutting edge. These chains were more like scraper chains then cutting chains and never cut worth a damn, most saws were fitted with a standard chain real early and the sharpening mechanism either removed or just ignored.
Huh interesting.... that's weird because as far as I know the SP40 didn't come with an Autosharp. Can I sharpen that chain with a regular file?

NO disrespect to Stihls or Huskys, but one of my pet-peeves is when a Stihl or Husky "Bro" (usually Stihl) tells a homeowner that cuts a few broken limbs in a year to not "waste their money" on a Poulan Pro but instead should drop $500+ on a pro grade saw.
Better if they just advised them to put some fuel stabilizer in every mix, and empty the tank when storing. Else, most wouldn't be able to clean a carb or install a kit and would be buying new every couple of years. Perhaps those advising buying an expensive saw are hoping to get it cheap when it gums up and is going to cost more than buying a new cheap one to fix.
late to the party.... not even sure how I got here

as that Stihl loyal "bro"...

Modern Poulans/mac's/homelights/tanaka/shindawa/and thier parent company electrolux/husqvarna are garbage, and you will get exactly what you pay for. Annnnd they where garbage before ethanol fuel was an issue

Or you could spend just a little bit more and have a tool that will run for the rest of your lifetime, Use Stihl mix oil and nonethanol fuel and never worry about it. (why exactly do you think folks get all twitterpated over 031av's or the venerable 045's? or flat top 044's, cause they are skookum runners and always will be, same will be said for the newer generations too)

But sure save yourself $100 upfront on the pressed plastic abortion, the dealer if any, will make it back from you next year when your fall sale special is junk and you need yet another saw.

Also what I advise is to either run the saw empty, or drain the fuel and run it empty, never store a saw with gas in it.

Huh interesting.... that's weird because as far as I know the SP40 didn't come with an Autosharp. Can I sharpen that chain with a regular file?
You might be able to but even when sharp, those chains really don't cut well. Probably the chain came out of a junk box and was put on that saw just to sell. You should check the bar sprocket and drive sprocket, that saw should have a 3/8" Lo-profile chain, not a 1/4".

Modern Poulans/mac's/homelights/tanaka/shindawa/and thier parent company electrolux/husqvarna are garbage, and you will get exactly what you pay for. Annnnd they where garbage before ethanol fuel was an issue

Or you could spend just a little bit more and have a tool that will run for the rest of your lifetime, Use Stihl mix oil and nonethanol fuel and never worry about it. (why exactly do you think folks get all twitterpated over 031av's or the venerable 045's? or flat top 044's, cause they are skookum runners and always will be, same will be said for the newer generations too)

But sure save yourself $100 upfront on the pressed plastic abortion, the dealer if any, will make it back from you next year when your fall sale special is junk and you need yet another saw.

Also what I advise is to either run the saw empty, or drain the fuel and run it empty, never store a saw with gas in it.
Wow, wonder why my company is moving away from stihl then? To echo and husqvarna? I learned a long time ago brand loyalty has no place in this world. Buy what works toss the trash. Stihl isnt any better then the next company, and they make plenty of plastic trash too. Going from a fleet that exclusively used stihl power products to include other brands, was a herculean task. Anything 4 mix is just junk. Even in stihl premix fuel. They only stihl saws we have left are old 044, a 2 year old 440, and a rather old ms660. Weve transitioned to husqvarna for mid range saws now and have never been happier. Echo now get the nod for weedwackers, blowers and the like. We ran stihl pre mix fuel exclusively from constantly being told our issues were from fuel. Just turned out to be a bad dealer

You might be able to but even when sharp, those chains really don't cut well. Probably the chain came out of a junk box and was put on that saw just to sell. You should check the bar sprocket and drive sprocket, that saw should have a 3/8" Lo-profile chain, not a 1/4".

I will check again but I'm 99% sure it's a 1/4 sprocket.

If you're looking at the Mike Acres site, I thinks inaccurate about the SP40 chain, I think they did actually come with 1/4 chain.

Wow, wonder why my company is moving away from stihl then? To echo and husqvarna? I learned a long time ago brand loyalty has no place in this world. Buy what works toss the trash. Stihl isnt any better then the next company, and they make plenty of plastic trash too. Going from a fleet that exclusively used stihl power products to include other brands, was a herculean task. Anything 4 mix is just junk. Even in stihl premix fuel. They only stihl saws we have left are old 044, a 2 year old 440, and a rather old ms660. Weve transitioned to husqvarna for mid range saws now and have never been happier. Echo now get the nod for weedwackers, blowers and the like. We ran stihl pre mix fuel exclusively from constantly being told our issues were from fuel. Just turned out to be a bad dealer
notice how I didn't mention Echo, or Dolmar/Makita, only problem with both is dealer support is non existent at least around here, Echo's you can get at hardware stores, and sometimes Makita, but rarely any larger models, and never any parts or service.

A crap dealer is worse then a cheap saw btw.

As for Husqvarna, IF you can find a decent dealer, and IF you buy the pro models, and IF you tighten all the screws regularly i.e. daily, they are a great saw... just a shame they cloned their junk into everything else.

I mention the Stihl mix oil, because it is one of the few on the market with stabilizers already in it, I've left non ethanol gas in storage for years with it and never so much as had a wiff of funk, the gasoline will evaporate before it goes bad. Even had saws which the gas had evaporated and left the carb full of mix oil, but all they needed was some fresh fuel and a few extra yanks on the cord

I have a best friend that is trying to become more proficient and home maintenance, fixing things, etc. He has a smaller place in the suburbs with a few trees on his property. I encouraged him to just get a battery powered saw. They have more than enough run time for anything he'd ever do, and if he had a gas saw it would just end up with deteriorated fuel lines and a gummed up carb.
You sound like a good friend most wood go gas and complain when it doesn't run then blame the saw

Let us know when the old stuff is for sale,i would give the old Stihl stuff a good retirement home

I will check again but I'm 99% sure it's a 1/4 sprocket.

If you're looking at the Mike Acres site, I thinks inaccurate about the SP40 chain, I think they did actually come with 1/4 chain.
I have a SP40 with 1/4" setup. Also a PM510 (newer version of SP40) with 1/4" setup. Bought a McCulloch bar labeled for 510 with 1/4" sprocket tip. That said I think I have another 510 with 3/8LP.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

I have a SP40 with 1/4" setup. Also a PM510 (newer version of SP40) with 1/4" setup. Bought a McCulloch bar labeled for 510 with 1/4" sprocket tip. That said I think I have another 510 with 3/8LP.

I think the sprockets were interchangable with a Mini Mac? So changing to 3/8 LP would be pretty easy. I just noticed my 1/4 chain has a chisel busted off, so maybe once the saw os back together and running I'll replace it.

Let us know when the old stuff is for sale,i would give the old Stihl stuff a good retirement home
We just sold a bunch of stuff off on municibid This spring. Most the saws were getting traded in on replacements. I have no idea what the dealer does with them.

I think the sprockets were interchangable with a Mini Mac? So changing to 3/8 LP would be pretty easy. I just noticed my 1/4 chain has a chisel busted off, so maybe once the saw os back together and running I'll replace it.
I think you're right, the Mini Mac uses the same sprockets.
I just happened to look at the SP40 IPL and it lists both a 1/4 and 3/8LP sprocket.

Ok a co worker asks me to cut trees on his bil lot. He had his van parked close to a tree I was felling. I asked him to move then van? I begged him to move the van, he said drop the tree. I told him I’m not responsible for the damage. His double doors on the side of the van was open. When the tree broke off the hinge it went horizontal right into the open double doors, he goes I should of moved the van. We laughed.

Even worse. Then they have to replace a $75 battery (whoops, just looked it up - $159!!!) every couple of years when they don't maintain it. And, it locks them into a manufacturer. Gas is universal across manufacturers, and $5 worth will run a saw all day with minimal interruption.
My dad has an electric chainsaw, and it works just fine for his occasional use. Batteries aren’t cheap! It’s easy enough to run a couple of extension cords. If he has something bigger he needs cut down or runs into a situation That set up won’t work for him, he gives me a call.

One time I lent my chainsaw to a good friends dad Who sounded like he knew how to run a saw and it taught me a lesson. He got the bar stuck in a tree and bent it, as well as messing up the chain. I brought over a different bar and chain and removed the bar and got the tree down, just as the saw ran out of gas. He said he had some gas and oil mixture that’s been in his garage for a while and he still had one more trees to cut down. Yeah, no thanks. I suddenly had some place I had to be...

Shindaiwa and echo are under the same company. Neither has anything to do with electrolux. I'm also pretty sure Tanaka has nothing to do with electrolux either. Also husqvarna makes some fantastic products brand loyalty gets you nothing.

Back