Chainsaw in the baggage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I thought this was worth starting a new thread - does anyone know if I can take a drained chainsaw on an international flight. In the hold luggage obviously, from the UK to Australia. See my not-another-firewood-saw for an explanation, but people have been saying the new regs might stop me.

The BA flight info doesn't mention it, but the Qantas one - http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/dangerousGoods lists miscellaneous including engines. But it doesn't say anything more, and I can't believe how a dry bunch of metal could be any danger to anything in the hold. Does anyone know better?

It's not new regulation, been in place here in US for some time now in regards to "fuel" containers, which would include the tank on a chainsaw. Either brand new, never filled and tagged as such or an emptied, purged and tagged tank. The purging part is a PITA for a used item as it's entire fuel system, not just the fuel tank itself must free from combustables. After TWA 800, and several other cases, pilots are loath to carry "bombs" in their aircraft's bellies. A mostly empty tank would contain too much vapor and a full one obviously isn't good either as it would be constantly belching fumes from the vent tube as the atomopheric pressure changed.

We have explored this for transporting fire crews complete with saws for years but it is too prohibitive time/money wise. New saws are not as bad to transport, but still have to be certified empty/clean. If following the rules that is. In the past before everyone screened everything going into a plane a new saw might have escaped scrutiny in checked baggage, these days I don't know but "I" wouldn't wanna be the one holding a plane on the runway while getting interogated by airport security.......

Don't know what it's like for UK-Aus though.

Can't say for UK -> Australia, but I took an MS 660 to Spain last year, no problems at all. I split the bar from the powerhead, drained it and cleaned out the tank. On that route I've often taken an old Alpina 0-70 (coming back home for repairs) with no trouble.

As an aside, I've also taken an 880 on the train from London to Leicester. The bar was taped up with newspaper, but it was fully fuelled and ready to run. No problem getting a seat on that train....

Last edited:
So I thought this was worth starting a new thread - does anyone know if I can take a drained chainsaw on an international flight. In the hold luggage obviously, from the UK to Australia. See my not-another-firewood-saw for an explanation, but people have been saying the new regs might stop me.

The BA flight info doesn't mention it, but the Qantas one - http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/dangerousGoods lists miscellaneous including engines. But it doesn't say anything more, and I can't believe how a dry bunch of metal could be any danger to anything in the hold. Does anyone know better?

G'day,
Will ring Qantas International . Would think as long as it's empty and well aired / no fuel smell an boxed it would be cool.I've had used saws air freighted before.
Will get back to U in hr or so.

Can't say for UK -> Australia, but I took an MS 660 to Spain last year, no problems at all. I split the bar from the powerhead, drained it and cleaned out the tank. On that route I've often taken an old Alpina 0-70 (coming back home for repairs) with no trouble.

As an aside, I've also taken an 880 on the train from London to Leicester. The bar was taped up with newspaper, but it was fully fuelled and ready to run. No problem getting a seat on that train....

where did you fly from rxe? I'll be going from Heathrow...

G'day,
Will ring Qantas International . Would think as long as it's empty and well aired / no fuel smell an boxed it would be cool.I've had used saws air freighted before.
Will get back to U in hr or so.

Thanks a lot Gumnut, I'm flying with them so hopefully they'll be the limiting factor.

Do you think if I didn't declare it they'd pick it up on a scan and pull it out?

If you are going to make a habit out of flying saws you might want to check this out:

http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=60.3700

Looks pretty nifty.

I have only ever had expierience with people who have flown Axes and Crosscuts and as long as they were packaged properly they were viewed as just big dumb pieces of metal. I don't know what the big concern is, I would not be afraid of the minimal amount of fuel vapor in a carb, if it is packaged properly even if it did catch fire there is such a small quantity I dont know what it would hurt.

Do you think if I didn't declare it they'd pick it up on a scan and pull it out?

I would not chance it. Declare it and state your case that it's empty of all combustables. Otherwise some baggage handler might end up with your saw.:cheers:

They seem to be checking pretty close these days. My Girlfriend recently sent me a Valentine card with a CD and some cash in it. Never got it:angry2: So some postal dude, :censored: whatever, is spending my money and listening to Miles.

All scanned - yr side and our side. Big NO to internal combustion engines ( even if thoroughly cleaned and flushed out ) personal luggage.Considered contraband.
.They suggest you freight it.They did jump a bit to
get clarity though .They connected me to some manager in Singapore whose in charge of the UK- Au service .

Tried all the angles ! / totally cleaned
2/ disassembled
So if you do still wish to get it here.Personal luggage bar an chain ,covers,
fan housing,chain sprocket cover.Freight the rest.
OR take the risk - good luck.

What saw is it Harry ?

I don't know what the big concern is, I would not be afraid of the minimal amount of fuel vapor in a carb, if it is packaged properly even if it did catch fire there is such a small quantity I dont know what it would hurt.

A "little" bit of fuel vapor can yield quite a healthy "little" blaze or worse if contained yield an nice little bomb. Even the smallest of fires at 35K feet w/in a pressurized airframe in a high O2 environment is a major concern regardless of BTU output of the initial fire. It's awefully hard to escape from a fire at 35K feet.

Are the regs overkill? Maybe, maybe not, but it sure would suck to be in an airliner ablaze in flight. I myself don't mind them airing on the side of caution and not trusting people to properly package whatever they feel like throwing in their baggage.

All scanned - yr side and our side. Big NO to internal combustion engines ( even if thoroughly cleaned and flushed out ) personal luggage.Considered contraband.
.They suggest you freight it.They did jump a bit to
get clarity though .They connected me to some manager in Singapore whose in charge of the UK- Au service .

Tried all the angles ! / totally cleaned
2/ disassembled
So if you do still wish to get it here.Personal luggage bar an chain ,covers,
fan housing,chain sprocket cover.Freight the rest.
OR take the risk - good luck.

What saw is it Harry ?

DAMNIT.
Was planning on leaving the B&C anyway. So what if I took it all except the P&C, and sent them via air mail...? I guess there's still the crankcase, what if I vaccuum sealed it. It's not technically an internal combustion if there's no P&C.

Thanks a lot for asking though

It's an 056, unless I find a suitable candidate on ebay. But now I've got an 076 the 056 is semi-redundant, but would get good use on our property in the southern highlands.

Last edited:
My flight was Heathrow -> Malaga, British Airways. I don't know if baggage scanning is an airport function, or it is done per airline?

Being practical if you stripped it down and cleaned it, it would be perfectly safe and no one would spot it. Bar and chain off, dogs off, handles off, remove carb, remove tank, maybe even take the jug and piston off. Strip and clean the carb (you'll be doing this anyway with a second hand saw), put a carb kit in the luggage as well. Wash out the tank properly. If you are getting a second hand saw that needs a bit of a rebuild, then take the parts and build it there.

My flight was Heathrow -> Malaga, British Airways. I don't know if baggage scanning is an airport function, or it is done per airline?

Being practical if you stripped it down and cleaned it, it would be perfectly safe and no one would spot it. Bar and chain off, dogs off, handles off, remove carb, remove tank, maybe even take the jug and piston off. Strip and clean the carb (you'll be doing this anyway with a second hand saw), put a carb kit in the luggage as well. Wash out the tank properly. If you are getting a second hand saw that needs a bit of a rebuild, then take the parts and build it there.

Yeah I've been thinking about this, surely it depends on the airport, not the airline/destination. I agree stripping and cleaning would make it safe. And I would have thought once it's fully stripped down and separated it'd be very hard to spot as an engine.

Although, what would you wash the tank/case with? I'd normally use petrol, but that's not much good when you're trying to remove all traces... meths maybe?

Water and strong washing up liquid - it will clean out the mix and as long as you dry it (if it is metal), then there will be no damage at all. Or stick it in the dishwasher.

ive bought saws back from canada with BA, i think as long as the tank and system are throughly cleaned and dried i cant see there being a problem, i have just boxed mine up well wrapped them in parcel paper and scribbled fragile all over them, then take them to the special desk at check in and they will go through a bit more carefully at no extra cost, especially as BA have a huge baggage allowance.

Charlie

Although, what would you wash the tank/case with? I'd normally use petrol, but that's not much good when you're trying to remove all traces... meths maybe?

Heard somehere that they use salt water. This was from a buddy in the army who deals specifically with fuel installations.

You might get it through baggage on boarding but you'll still have to clear customs on the other side after you retreve your luggage. They are gonna ask you questions and might check luggage, might not. I think I would try to get clarification before hand. Call and ask, Is it ok, is it not. I would not count on it not being spotted.

Its not quite the same but..

I have brought four saws back with me from the US to Bermuda. Granted they were all brand new. One was from Green Bay- Boston- Bermuda
I am always asked by the Airlines/TSA if they have been used, I was able to assure them they were brand new, in the box, never tasted a drop of gas. It is the gas/oil thing that has them twitchy to start with.
The last one I brought back was in November, a 200t, I had packed it in the suitcase because it was so small, and I forgot to tell the airlines it was in my bag, off it went in my checked bag, and came through no problem at all, again, it was brand new in box, taped up and all...

Latest posts

Back