Chainsaw lanyards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeypuzzle

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had a saw snatched from my right hand few years back topping a large pine.I used to keep my saw regardless of size hanging with the 50inch plain straps,not the 2-N-1 type.Since that day I have been using just the 11inch strap with ring slapped onto a non-locking pear shaped biner. The jerk to the right side of my belt was just hard enough to make me switch over to this set up,but now the saw will do all the falling. Sixty feet up a pole with the top leaning,knowing the pole is going to start rocking,still trying to keep my saw,damn what fun.How bout it guys.

I just have my saw attached with the short webbing and ring when it is attached to my saddle and off. when using my saw it is not attached at all to my saddle.if my saw gets thrown , then its going to hit the ground and not my leg:)

I've seen a few 'yuppie' climbers with all the multi-colored 'beeners and all the multi-colored straps, etc. Most of them use some sort of long lanyard for their saw, so if they drop it it will fall below their feet. Sorry, but I don't need 18 different colored 'beeners or a 4' strap hanging down while I am trying to climb. I have enough trouble not tripping over my own 2 feet without tons of crap hanging off my belt. Lifeline, adjustable lanyard, and my saw with a 3" leash looped through the rear handle and clipped to my belt is more than enough stuff on my belt to climb any tree in this area.
Only dropped my saw once in over 10 years. New saw, only 2 weeks old and dropped it on a parking lot from 25'- cracked the bar oil cap. Those lil Echo 3400's are tougher than they look.

Like Brian, I don`t like loads of crap hanging from my harness, just my lanyard, lifeline and saw on a short lanyard. I think as long as you`re roped in well and in a good position, if you`re saw gets snatched, you`re probably not going anywhere. (in an ideal world, that is)

I got a chainsaw lanyard from Sherril that I like. It is called the 2-N-1 Bungee lanyard. It is made of nylon webbing that stretches. If you drop the saw, it will fall down 50 inches (which is below your feet). When you clip the saw to the saddle, there is hardly any lanyard loose or in the way. Plus, if the saw does get hung up in wood that's headed down, the lanyard will tear away at a 200 pound pull. It works great with my 335XPT.

About 50 inches, I make my own out of excesory cord. Non locking biner behind the left d-ring. I like it cause I don't have to clip it back on every time. I rarely drop it, but will ease it down. If I need to do something big that I may pooch and get pulled I'll take it off the belt. Only hapend once so far, bout 5-4 years ago.

Now my climbing lanyard is around 30ft long.

1)- yuppie climber matt checkin in.

i use the 40" or whatever it is 2" strap for my 020T- its a 500 dollar climbing saw- i am not all that fond of it falling down all that way. one time in the past 4 years have i ever dropped a saw- but it still gives me some security- i dont take it up into the tree until i am all tied in and everything. let the ground guys send it up on the rope. i have tried the bungee cord- and its not bad for the 020- but when i put my 044 on it- i just didnt trust it. i dont carry a lot on my saddle- however once i get up there it does get loaded up pretty fast.

I guess we are diffrent out west. Alls we used was a 3/8 ctr rope.
(Cal. truck rope ) hung from our belts below our feet.

Back