Chainsaw Milling Bar & Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Will get that done this week.

Just made contact with a local in my area who has acreage of Claro/black Walnut that's not being farmed anymore. Any tips on milling Claro?

Just got it done... Good spot?
bb13f0bf61479b8f33ca7aafc0fc4118.jpg
1993a77ecf248c5197af3aeb3d869933.jpg

Oh man...I didn't even pay attention to that when I put it back together. I was more focused on the oiler placement. Thanks for the guidance, I will definitely pay attention to that! If all goes as planned I'll be milling tomorrow!

First cuts went a lot better than I was expecting! Went a lot faster and smoother. The finished slabs were pretty smooth, could barely see and feel the saw marks on it! Ended up using Carlton semi chisel full skip chain, cutters filed at approx 25 degree rakers filed at about 7 degree. Took just 10 min to mill through an 18' log and 22" at it's widest. Also after that first cut realized I definitely needed to zip tie the throttle, worked flawlessly! Now going to rig up one of those log lifters that @BobL has made. Looking at the 42" and 48" Hi lift jack, does that 6" difference really matter? What's a good degree of slope to set the log at? Thanks for all the advice and input, appreciate it all!
4d15a72a1abd9e352f740db9710fcdbf.jpg
ca8c200392b86fc0ae1fe6b24a8df4c5.jpg
c0dd60c3094f277fc57649fbfc8d4ca0.jpg

Looking at the 42" and 48" Hi lift jack, does that 6" difference really matter? What's a good degree of slope to set the log at? Thanks for all the advice and input, appreciate it all!

It depends on how aggressively set the cutters and rakers are and the length and diameter of the log.
In general the greater the slope the less you have to push, up to a slope where the weight of the mill and saw are too great and the saw bogs down depending on chain aggressivity, or the start of the sloped log is too high to lift the mill up to. Logs above about 4ft in diameter become more difficult to lift and if sloped will then be too high above the ground to lift the mill up to.

In practice any slope is better than no slope so I just usually lift the log up to where the top of the start end of the log is about 3-4ft above the ground, if the log is short I often lit the other end as well - I think lifting both ends up of the ground is as important for ergonomics as the slope. Sometimes I even raise the log up a bit more after milling way about half the log.

Back