Chainsaw Milling on a Budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHomeliteKid

Reaction score
Hi, I new here so I'm kind of learning how to navigate the site and figure things out. Anyways, I found some really nice logs in the bush near my cottage and I would like to mill them to make some money for college. Currently, my biggest saw is a Stihl MS270 running a 20" bar and at 50cc, I know that it is not nearly powerful enough for the logs that I want to mill. I understand that the minimum is 60cc? I know that in my area a Granberg MkIII 30" mill goes for about $330 which I am willing to pay but it is the saw that is the problem. I am not a mechanical idiot and have worked on many older saws so doing repairs to an older one in need of TLC would not be a problem. My question is, what would be a good saw, that I can acquire for less that $200 that would be capable of milling 28" diameter logs and what else should I know before making the investment in a mill and a saw?

Thanks in advance,
TheHomeliteKid

Currently, my biggest saw is a Stihl MS270 running a 20" bar and at 50cc, I know that it is not nearly powerful enough for the logs that I want to mill. I understand that the minimum is 60cc?

I don't know where you get the idea that 60cc is a minimum. Even a 50cc saw could be used to mill successfully for long periods. It needs to be a decent solid saw and not one of these all plastic $99 pruning saws that you find in a big box hardware store. As long as it is well maintained, tuned a little on the rich side, chain kept sharp, and not asked to pull too large a bar i.e. no longer than a 20" bar or say 14-15" cut.

My question is, what would be a good saw, that I can acquire for less that $200 that would be capable of milling 28" diameter logs and what else should I know before making the investment in a mill and a saw?

In my book, a 28" diameter saw needs a 90cc saw and a 36" bar. Sure you could cut make a couple of cuts that are 28" wide with a 70cc saw but long term I reckon that is asking for trouble.

If you want production to make money, I'd seriously suggest spending a little more on a cheaper bandmill. It's hard to give advice not knowing your budget or how much milling you plan to do but chainsaw milling isn't really cheap or productive. The big odd stuff is where a csm really shines but that requires a much bigger saw. I'm not trying to be negative. Just pointing out facts that I've learned so far. I'd say minimum of 70cc but bigger if possible.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Hey Kid, welcome to the site. I milled with a Homelite Super 1050 my Dad bought new in the early 70's, for several years. Hang out at farm and estate auctions and you never know what you will find cheap. A couple years ago I picked up an old Homelite 7-29 for $60. 129CC's with a 52 inch bar. I also tell friends to keep an eye open for me. A friend asked one of his customers at an agricultural center if they had any old saws to get rid of. They gave him a locked up XL12 and a running XL924. I bought a 30 inch bar for the 924 and it made a nice little milling saw. Good luck with your endeavors, Joe.

It's an audio book. Pay my air fare and I'll come and tell you all about it :D
Bob, how you looking this weekend? I've got a bunch of frequent flyer miles to burn. I can pick you up at Baltimore/Washington International. I've got an old cassette recorder. We can head to my favorite pub, order a couple IPA's, and get that book on tape. Then in my spare time I'll transcribe it to paper, we can split the proceeds, Joe.

Bob, how you looking this weekend? I've got a bunch of frequent flyer miles to burn. I can pick you up at Baltimore/Washington International. I've got an old cassette recorder. We can head to my favorite pub, order a couple IPA's, and get that book on tape. Then in my spare time I'll transcribe it to paper, we can split the proceeds, Joe.

Hey I offered first, no butting in line. LOL

Bob's ours! Stop trying to take him, he's staying here. He is one of our greatest national assets & only knows how to mill Aussie wood species, his setups would be far too fast and strong in American wood it would be dangerous.

That all might be true, but when I was a kid, forty years ago, I drank Fosters because it came in a big can. If I can get Bob hooked on one of our micro brewery specials he may never come back. Plus, we have a game over here. Put a 12 foot log on a 45 degree angle, start your mill and lock the trigger, let go. Run twenty feet to the fire pit, sit in a wooden recliner, and down a 12% IPA, follow it with a Guinness, jump back up and grab your mill before it drops out of the cut. After a few rounds of this, you don't care what country, or hemisphere you are in, Joe.

Hi, I new here so I'm kind of learning how to navigate the site and figure things out. Anyways, I found some really nice logs in the bush near my cottage and I would like to mill them to make some money for college. Currently, my biggest saw is a Stihl MS270 running a 20" bar and at 50cc, I know that it is not nearly powerful enough for the logs that I want to mill. I understand that the minimum is 60cc? I know that in my area a Granberg MkIII 30" mill goes for about $330 which I am willing to pay but it is the saw that is the problem. I am not a mechanical idiot and have worked on many older saws so doing repairs to an older one in need of TLC would not be a problem. My question is, what would be a good saw, that I can acquire for less that $200 that would be capable of milling 28" diameter logs and what else should I know before making the investment in a mill and a saw?

Thanks in advance,
TheHomeliteKid

There are some good deals to be had. Just make it a focus to browse the ads on craiglist or kijiji in the area where you live and surrounding areas that are within driving distance.
I have seen some very good deals like a mint poulan pro 655 for $300, looked like it was used ever so often.
Prices are cheaper for anything that is not husky or stihl.

Thank you for all the kind words gentlemen.

A few years ago I could have been sorely tempted by US micro brews. I visited the US (DC, CO and WA state) 3 times between 2006 and 2010 and tasted many a micro brew in that time, developed a taste for the Dogfish Head Brews plus a few others, and shipped back a few boxes of Stones Brewing and DFH beers, I still have one of the Stones IPA's in my shop fridge. In 2002 I also spent 9 months working in Belgium and managed to taste 500 different beers - many multiple times of course. I put all my ~1250 beer ratings on Ratebeer.com and ran out of enthusiasm and lack of different beers that tasted of something to try back here in OZ, of course many were tested multiple times. A result of all that is I am now diabetic, and have kidney probs so only have a beer on special occasions. I also have something completely unrelated called sarcoidosis. I've had so many blood tests the woman that draws my blood asked me if I had any left the other day. According to the doc the activity of my sarcoidosis means I should be in hospital or at least in a wheelchair but apart from feeling a bit tired I feel OK. I have not done any CSMing in the last year or so but hope to get back into it soon.

That's enough moaning from me. I do about a day a week of mechanical and electrical repairs for the local Men's Shed Community workshop. The most recent thing I did was fitted a VFD and electrical brake to a Radial arm saw. It used to take around 2 minutes to coast to a stop and now it stops in 4 seconds. Oh yeah and about once a month I still sharpen the Bandsaw blades for my Mates BSM.

I have been thinking about getting some of this CSM info down in a less scattered format than this forum. I have all the photos and diagrams on my laptop. I might leave it for if and when I can't do anymore in the shop - I hope that's a long way away and I don't forget it all by them.

Bob you certainly have more than enough knowledge to write a book that would be THE leading authority on all things CSM, from building them, setting them up, selection of saw and mods 4 CSM, chain, csm-ing itself, gee you could write a good 10-20 chapters. For those getting into CSM a book like that could well be ones most valuable piece of kit.

Thanks in advance,
TheHomeliteKid

Just saw this on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holzfforma...862484&hash=item2cbd72a4bf:g:jeEAAOSw4GVYU3PQ

Back