Chainsaw pants advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey. I hate chaps and usually neglect wearing them. I thought I'd just buy a few pairs of chainsaw pants on treestuff to try them out for me and my guys but man are they expensive!

Questions-

Is there a particular brand that's best?
How many pairs does one guy need? How often do they need to be washed? Do you just throw them in the machine?
How hot are they? It's cold here in the winter so I wear thermals now but it's hot in the summer.

Cloggers are really nice. We each have a couple of pairs. Wash one pair, wear the other for two days is what we usually do. They are warmer than regular pants in the summer but way better than pants plus chaps. We wear them in the hot alabama summer and humidity. I'll be buying some more at some point. So far they are holding up great other than showing some staining. My only real gripe is they don't have back pockets. I normally throw a wedge in my back left pocket when felling.

I bought a pair of Solidur from Bartlett: https://www.bartlettman.com/SOLIDUR-AUTHENTIC-CHAINSAW-PANTS_p_1656.html

They are only $100.

I wore them on a few mornings that were single digit temps. I brought a pair of long underwear to sneak back into the truck and put on if it got too cold, but as long as I kept working they were warm enough without.

These do say to take out of service after 5 washings. I think the fibers become mis-aligned . I brush them off. Hang them in the garage and spray with water/wipe off. Then when they really need washing, I put them on a hand wash/delicate cycle in the machine set to a large load size (lots of water) then air dry. I've only worn them in the winter. I'd hate to think how bad they'd start to stink if I wore them and didn't wash in the heat of the summer! I like the idea of being able to take and break and take the chaps off on hot days. We don't do many removals so not many jobs where I'd need them all day anyhow. I bought them for some woodland work we were doing where we were running saws all day for a while. Well worth it in my opinion. I bought my helper a pair as well and I think he liked them too. I think there are more comfortable and more durable pants out there...but you'll pay 2-3x the price. If I were going for that price point, I would get the ArborWear Ironwood pants.

I have the Husqvarna classic pants. They've been great for a couple years now. They don't seem super durable, but they've held up to tromping through brush surprisingly well. Super comfy.

I have a pair of stihl pants and they are pretty warm but forester shop in Wilkes barre pa had them for 60 a pair. So I grabbed a pair to try instead of chaps. The front pockets are kinda tough to get your hands inside but other then that they are nice

I have the Husqvarna classic pants. They've been great for a couple years now. They don't seem super durable, but they've held up to tromping through brush surprisingly well. Super comfy.
That's what I have.
A pair of insulated and a pair of standard. I don't wear anything on under them so they are for full day jobs or short days when I know I'm not going back out.
I still keep a couple pairs of chaps in the truck, just easier many days.

I use Husqvarna technical hi-viz pants for myself and supply them to my crew. Comfy in +30* with the vents open and -20* with thermal base layer. Lots of flexibility for climbing and not alot of bulk. I'd love to try some of the breatheflex pro pants as well as the cloggers but too much $$$ to drop all in one chunk.

I’ve got a pair of the notch armor flex chainsaw pants and absolutely love them. Drawback is they are hot. I live in the Midwest and can really only wear them from about October to March comfortably. I attempted a day of felling and slashing in 85+ in them and wanted to strip down.

Upside is the added warmth in the winter and the fact my legs stay dryer longer. Downfall is their weight when wet, price and heat when over 65 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloggers are really nice. We each have a couple of pairs. Wash one pair, wear the other for two days is what we usually do. They are warmer than regular pants in the summer but way better than pants plus chaps. We wear them in the hot alabama summer and humidity. I'll be buying some more at some point. So far they are holding up great other than showing some staining. My only real gripe is they don't have back pockets. I normally throw a wedge in my back left pocket when felling.
Hi, I'm from Clogger in NZ. Glad to hear the pants are holding up well!
If you are really missing the back pocket you will be pleased to hear that our recently released pant (the Ascend) has a large back pocket.
Its slightly heavier than the Zero and has zipped vents rather than permanent and is also waterproof to the knee.
They are the same fit/cut as the Zero but do feel a little different to wear due to the Euro style high back.

Cheers
Pete
Clogger

I use Husqvarna technical hi-viz pants for myself and supply them to my crew. Comfy in +30* with the vents open and -20* with thermal base layer. Lots of flexibility for climbing and not alot of bulk. I'd love to try some of the breatheflex pro pants as well as the cloggers but too much $$$ to drop all in one chunk.
Have a look at the new Clogger groundworker pant (the Defender Pro) if you are looking to have a try in some Clogger kit but with a lower investment than the Zeros and Ascends. Still made from a full stretch material, has zipped vents and is actually very slightly lighter than the Zero, making it the new lightest chainsaw pant in the world! It doesn't have the climbing specific features of the other pants but they are a seriously comfy pant for groundwork https://goclogger.com/defenderpro-tough-chainsaw-pants-for-ground-crew-upgrade/. If you are interested I understand Wesspur has just taken a shipment of them, although it would seem they haven't updated their website yet (still got the old model of them featured) http://www.wesspur.com/items/saf452.html.

Cheers
Pete
Clogger

Back