Chainsaw photography

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know most people are here for conversation and information. That being said, a picture is worth a 1000 words and video can be even better (if done well).
I myself enjoy the reading and love the pics. Some pics that have been posted are less than desirable picture quality. Would like to hear what you guys are using and recommend for photo/video equipment. Most people do not have big budgets for this kind of thing so lets hear it for all price ranges.

Not really a chainsaw subject but I believe a thread like this could contribute to the overall quality of posts. I shoot with a Kadak easy share Z1012 IS. Good camera for the money, with the exception of shutter lag. Here is a couple pics for the forum.
attachment.php

attachment.php

My pictures are taken with an old digital Olympus. I took it when I got my wife a much nicer camera. This way I don't feel bad taking it with me on one of my "chainsaw missions" in the woods. Here is a recent snapshot of my little Poulan Micro sitting on a round of walnut. My dad bought this back in the 70's and was our family's first saw. Its a keeper.

attachment.php

I just use my wife's Kodak 743 right now. It does alright. I want to get a new 10 or 12 mega pixel camera that will do HD video.

002-2.jpg

My kodak does HD video and it is beatiful but the focus is kinda slow. This camera is in the 200 range. I have been looking at the nikon d3000 for slr, mainly because of the price at 499. I know a couple members have some high dollar cameras. Would like some input on those also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBgwv6WvRs

I don't want to spend a whole lot as I take them out and get them dirty and everything else. $200 is doable.

I use an old $40 off brand camera I bought on sale at Office Max. I tried to post a pic today but couldn't because it was too big. Now I have to go out and take pic again with smaller pic. Ebay wants 'em big, AS wants 'em small.
I've since replaced the camera with a $60 Kodak digital. Seems to work fine and is easier to use.

My pictures are taken with an old digital Olympus. I took it when I got my wife a much nicer camera. This way I don't feel bad taking it with me on one of my "chainsaw missions" in the woods. Here is a recent snapshot of my little Poulan Micro sitting on a round of walnut. My dad bought this back in the 70's and was our family's first saw. Its a keeper.

Yup sentimental value trumps all. Have a c-51 I will never part with. Olympus takes a good pic. I also have a older camera for equipment scouting just in case it rains or something.
attachment.php

I use the wife's Nikon D60 for pics and her Flip Mino HD for vid.

The short lens for the nikon was dropped hard so it has trouble focusing. The flip mino hd is awesome. She got them both when she was in art school. The Nikon was like $1300 i think.....and the flip mino was $300. Glad she went to school and got them. They come in handy.

I am a fan of Canon products when it comes to digital cameras. I have 3 different models and while the image quality isn't in line with some of the other brands, the overall features make up for that.

I use the free Picasa 3 Google program for image manipulation, it really works excellent for a free program. Just type in Picasa 3 at Google and downlod it.

Canon S3IS took these;

Husqvarna268204.jpg

Husqvarna268206.jpg

Last edited:
I use an old $40 off brand camera I bought on sale at Office Max. I tried to post a pic today but couldn't because it was too big. Now I have to go out and take pic again with smaller pic. Ebay wants 'em big, AS wants 'em small.

XNview program is easy to use for resizing.
I have seen some samsung cameras at wallymart for 130. Does anyone have experience with these?
attachment.php

That Nikon took a vivid pic.

Moss, that cannon does a great job also. Very clear pics and I have watched all your vids. They turn out well also. What is the price range on that cannon?

Yup sentimental value trumps all. Have a c-51 I will never part with. Olympus takes a good pic. I also have a older camera for equipment scouting just in case it rains or something.
attachment.php

That muffler is top notch Mitch, very nice.

That Nikon took a vivid pic.

Moss, that cannon does a great job also. Very clear pics and I have watched all your vids. They turn out well also. What is the price range on that cannon?

The S3 IS is a bit outdated, I have had it for over 3 years now. I believe they are up to S5's now or maybe higher. They are just below DSLR's and run around $300.-$350. I think? You might be able to find an S3 or an S4 somewhere online, they have up to a 12x zoom which can be real handy and 3 minute video capability.

Here is a link for an S5;
http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...rshot-s5-is/canon-powershot-s5-is-review.html

http://www.bizrate.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-s5/

Last edited:
That muffler is top notch Mitch, very nice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moss, I made a shelf in the garage just for your 372 and that 394 quad. My two saw plan.

Another random pic.

attachment.php

Good point Aussie. I take my cable for granted. What size is that 500? Do you use that 371?! Nice clear pics by the way.

Moss, I will have to check into cannon. Looks like a quality piece. My Kodak will take two hour vids but a eight minute cut takes four hours to upload to youtube.

Good point Aussie. I take my cable for granted. What size is that 500? Do you use that 371?! Nice clear pics by the way.

Moss, I will have to check into cannon. Looks like a quality piece. My Kodak will take two hour vids but a eight minute cut takes four hours to upload to youtube.

This photo is 800x600
181SE with 288 barrel kit.

002-1.jpg

This one is 640x480

001-1.jpg

So yeah, I'd say they were about 500.
The photo's are taken with a crappy old Fuji finepix SLR.
Mid year I'll aim for 15MP approx and HD video with a couple of lens's.

That 371XP has cut all our firewood, camp wood, cleaned off firetrails for ten years and along side the others for the last three.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back