Chainsaw recommendation (Stihl, Husqvarna)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to hurt any ones feelings, but I have saws that I still use commercially that are 25 years old. The only saws that have stood the test of time have been my stihls. Over the years I have had 2 husky's, and 2 echos I bought for employees to use, they are long gone. but my 038 lives on. I admit that I am a little out of touch with the new saw market, the last new saw I bought is my 064.. about 12+ years ago. But that's why I'm a stihl fan. my exp. suggests if you want to buy a saw to last the rest of your life, avoid the homeowner quality crap. I would pick something from ms260 up to ms460, depending more on your size and strength, not the wood size. 260 will run a 24 inch bar if you need it to, just takes a few seconds longer to get the job done than 044 (ms440). Like I said, I'm a little out of touch with the latest stihls, but If it says pro, or magnum on it. Its probably a good one.

You made a good choice there Tony.
Eucalypts I guess your cutting. Two foot and larger? She will feel it!
A 20" bar will give this saw good balance.
Modifying is not everybodies cup of tea but as suggested that saw can be increased to 76.5cc by replacing the barrel kit for US $110.
This kit and a muffler mod to my ten year old 371XP (same kit) EATS my 385Xp.

Al.

Great Choice on your new saw!

Congratulations on your new 365. Come back to the site and post some pics of that new Husky in action after you get it!

Al :clap: :clap:

Congrats mate the 365 is a great unit (have used a mates) cant believe the price diff from the 372:dizzy:
Like a few other guys have said, you will grow to use whatever you get - i use an 090 for anything 4" and up, (the 350 needs a new bar and ive got used to the big sucker!)
Good luck with it!:chainsaw:

I wish!

No what I meant was that I thought the 372 cost $300 more than the 365 but it was actually $500 more.

Wish I could get a 372 for $650. Over here a 365 is $1090 retail and a 372 $1590! They really screw us I think.

Still, a decent price at $150 off and with the extras he included I think it's a good buy. Rang around before going back to him and the Husky dealers don't like to discount.

Wow unreal wow!

Where to find a Husqvarna 365

I am looking to replace my Stihl 028. Want something a little bigger, and it doesn't run right now. I have to do compression tests on it, but that's another story/thread. I was following this thread and liked the sound of the Husqvarna 365. I did a web search, and nobody seems to carry it anymore. Any ideas where I could find one.
Gary

I am looking to replace my Stihl 028. Want something a little bigger, and it doesn't run right now. I have to do compression tests on it, but that's another story/thread. I was following this thread and liked the sound of the Husqvarna 365. I did a web search, and nobody seems to carry it anymore. Any ideas where I could find one.
Gary

There is little reason to get a 365 instead of the 372xp, unless the 365 is bargain priced, as it apparently was in this case.

I think that answers your question, at least partly..........;)

Last edited:
Husky 365/372xp

This is a good thread. We own the J'red versions of 3 saws mentioned here. One of my sons has a 2165, and I have a 2153 and a 2172. For some people they may like the 365 better. It is a seems to us to be a little bit "calmer" saw than the 2172. By that I mean the 365 is a little quiter, turns a few less RPM and seems to want to cut at a lower RPM than the 2172. The 2172 is quite a bit faster in the cut, but it is very loud and it likes to be ran in the upper part of the RPM range. You could cut faster with the 2172, but you better be ready for a workout, it really goes through the wood. If you wanted to get all cut in a day that you could then the 2172 would win hands down. For the more casual user the 2165 is more friendly. The 2153 (346xp) is a fantastic little saw and the one I use all the time, until I really need the 2172. Personally I think the 2165 is the perfect answer to what a lot of people need, right size, right price, right power curve. Just my 2 cents.

Back