Chainsaw related pet peeve‘s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have more than a few pet peeves.

1 if I leave my saws at work as my coworker that doesn't give you permission to use them, there's a stihl 034, 170, 200t, 440, 660, an echo 341t, and a husqy 460 you can use/ **** up.

2 I hate seeing people continue running a saw when smoke rolling off the clutch and bar when it has no bar oil.

3 a half inch breaker bar should not be required to loosen bar nuts and spark plugs.

d40ff4b5816a4b51a5e3d392ed45dfce.plist
aa8a06e480005dd5e6be8283c034691a.plist

Here’s another one of mine. People that want a tree removed and want you to pay them to come do it FOR them. This goes along side some previous peeves I believe.

Here’s another one of mine. People that want a tree removed and want you to pay them to come do it FOR them. This goes along side some previous peeves I believe.
well at least its not a "highly valuable black walnut tree"

That is fxxking gold. Thank you for posting that
honestly i came across it while researching the subject after reading some posts here. Reason why is that as a child my grandparents had several 15 or 20 old 70 or 80 yeats 0ld large walnut trees on their property and the "logger" convinced them that they should get it logged as those trees alone would set them up royally. in reality he wanted the Oak and the maples that were growing all over the place on the 100+ acres I roamed as a child. when it came time to pay, he paid a pittance as he claimed the walnuts had spike, nails etc in them, (which was probably true)...but he had made out on the oak and maples that were actually larger and that he had played down in value, claiming to cut them cheap as a service to make the land tillable. this was the 70's and my grandparents had not clue.

honestly i came across it while researching the subject after reading some posts here. Reason why is that as a child my grandparents had several 15 or 20 old 70 or 80 yeats 0ld large walnut trees on their property and the "logger" convinced them that they should get it logged as those trees alone would set them up royally. in reality he wanted the Oak and the maples that were growing all over the place on the 100+ acres I roamed as a child. when it came time to pay, he paid a pittance as he claimed the walnuts had spike, nails etc in them, (which was probably true)...but he had made out on the oak and maples that were actually larger and that he had played down in value, claiming to cut them cheap as a service to make the land tillable. this was the 70's and my grandparents had not clue.

Aww man did he cut the whole lot? There's some wankers out there.

I'm not a tree guy at all I cut farm trees for firewood so just a butcher but can completely get this little conversation. My day job is an agricultural engineer and yeah it costs money to do anything.

We put a "bid" in for a tree once a monster bluegum the old woman was getting it dropped (dismantled) by the power company and wanted to recoup some of the cost by selling the wood. We put in our bid (250) and she was quite grumpy and kinda fobbed us off like we were nowhere near. 2 weeks later she rings up begrudgingly says we got the wood haha. By the time we got it done yeah no money in it sure we had a heap of firewood but if we sold it as firewood we wouldn't of even broken even which was fine we wanted the wood to heat our houses.

I stay away from buying trees now I cut trees and help the farmer get the firewood he needs and hes happy as and I get more wood than I can shake a stick at

I'm no pro, but this is something that has been bugging me in a lot of videos I have been watching lately. Maybe there is a reason, but it goes against everything I have learned.

In several videos of pro tree fellers, they will do the notch cut, and then nearly complete the back cut, stop their saw, walk around the front of the tree, on the side of the notch, to check their cut, and then walk back in front of the tree to get back on their saw. Isn't this the "no-go" area when cutting down a tree? It isn't any farther around if they went around back. Or is there actually a reason to do it this way?

Or possibly, I have just been watching videos from a bunch of hacks?

1. raffles everytime someone sneezes
2. whatever saw the gurus' likes at the time the people go nuts over ! 262s'346s',288s' and the list goes on .
3. one day it is 32:1 the next week it is 40:1 then back to 35:1
4..020 squish
5. bars for sale that by the time you pay shipping you could have bought it locally for $14 cheaper.
6. ported saws so it will cut a "cookie" 1.2 seconds faster than a non-ported
7. listing every saw and tool in your possession you own
The list will be continued do to making a living.

I'm no pro, but this is something that has been bugging me in a lot of videos I have been watching lately. Maybe there is a reason, but it goes against everything I have learned.

In several videos of pro tree fellers, they will do the notch cut, and then nearly complete the back cut, stop their saw, walk around the front of the tree, on the side of the notch, to check their cut, and then walk back in front of the tree to get back on their saw. Isn't this the "no-go" area when cutting down a tree? It isn't any farther around if they went around back. Or is there actually a reason to do it this way?

Or possibly, I have just been watching videos from a bunch of hacks?

The only time I can think of doing something like that are when you are putting the back cut in first.

Just curious are from European countries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I can think of doing something like that are when you are putting the back cut in first.

Just curious are from European countries?

Not necessarily, some are from Europe, some are from the U.S. and Canada.

Not necessarily, some are from Europe, some are from the U.S. and Canada.

They are checking the level of their backcut, probably.

Links?

Sounds like GOL style of cutting, we can check and do a level back cut without walking away from the cut at all.

PS, there's just as much risk at the back of a tree as the front, maybe more. It's risky all-around and up and down. Anyhow.

Without examples of these videos we know nothing whatsoever.

Experienced fallers have reasons for every move. Every one. We don't see in a good, long look what they see in a glance. Then they get over their glance and start to figure it out.

Back