Chainsaw related pet peeve‘s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS, there's just as much risk at the back of a tree as the front, maybe more. It's risky all-around and up and down. Anyhow.

Without examples of these videos we know nothing whatsoever.

Experienced fallers have reasons for every move. Every one. We don't see in a good, long look what they see in a glance. Then they get over their glance and start to figure it out.
Trust me, I'm not saying they are wrong, It just seems extra dangerous to nearly fall a tree and walk around the front to check something.

I will have to look around, but I also saw a video of the same pro getting ready to drop the tree and then squatting down right behind it with a camera to get a good view for his youtube video, while his partner hammered in the wedges.

Maybe the guy is just a hack?

Oh, yup I've seen some of that. I pretty much wonder wtf they are up to... drop the damn tree already!

Valuable techniques when necessary, but an utter and complete waste of time when not

I wouldn’t say valuable it’s more of it lets people check a box for a lawyer or insurance,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My philosophy is anyone that needs to borrow a saw doesn't know how to use one. If they did, they would have their own.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm anti loaning saws other then I do have a junk poulan for that sole purpose. However, I would consider loaning my 372 to one of my friends who does regular cutting. His biggest saw is an MS311 and the 372 will put a hurting on that saw. If he asked I'd gladly loan it. I think he's contemplating buying something bigger to keep around though. Plus I know he's good for it if it were to be in his care and break.

My biggest pet peeve is hearing the snickers when I mention that I have a poulan 3700 (my craftsman 3.7"). I get the usual "oh I would never own a junky poulan like that." I don't bother explaining it...

That's a good thing it keeps the prices down haha

Well it typically followed by some statement like I only use Stihl (no offense to Stihl but there’s the most well known brand). When I ask what they have it’s typically like a MS170 or MS250. I typically say cute toy and leave it at that.

These are the same people that do a lot of the same pet peeves other have mentioned like “well what size is your saw??” Referring to bar size.

My biggest pet peeve is hearing the snickers when I mention that I have a poulan 3700 (my craftsman 3.7"). I get the usual "oh I would never own a junky poulan like that." I don't bother explaining it...
I just went through this with a coworker. He asked if I had any saws for sale, I offered a nice Poulan 3400 with a 20" bar, a spare chain and a case. I told him $150 since he's a friend. He kind of scoffed at it saying he was wanting a "real saw"
I told him, "tell ya what, take it home, cut with it for a weekend, if its crap, I'll take it back"
He showed up to work on monday tripping over himself to pay me lol.

Game of logging or Swedish stump dance style of cutting which is a ton of back boring small faces and honestly a lot of wasted energy on something that doesn’t need to be that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Game of Logging" this just made my day :) Winter is coming.... how many cords have you prepared?

I just went through this with a coworker. He asked if I had any saws for sale, I offered a nice Poulan 3400 with a 20" bar, a spare chain and a case. I told him $150 since he's a friend. He kind of scoffed at it saying he was wanting a "real saw"
I told him, "tell ya what, take it home, cut with it for a weekend, if its crap, I'll take it back"
He showed up to work on monday tripping over himself to pay me lol.
quality is quality, if Poulan had never ever had a descent saw then its name would not be so widly known, nor would it still be available (albeit in a seriously low end model) today. Poulan's demise was the bow bar and that lawsuit, and upper management trying to sell it out as fast as they could to get their bonuses .

"Game of Logging" this just made my day
Unfortunate choice of names. Might be due to a translation issue, or how some words have different connotations in other languages.

Soren Eriksson brought over a number of Swedish logging and chainsaw techniques that have been integrated into modern cutting practices. Like anything else, there are proponents and naysayers. Most people can find some good things in there.

https://www.woodlandtraining.com/GOLhistory.php

Philbert

That’s true of a lot of millennials. For all their lives Poulans, Homelites and McCullochs have been small junk saws made in China. You can’t really blame them for not knowing these products didn’t suck 40 years ago.

When STIHL, Oregon, Husqvarna, or other international vendors refuse to sell some of their regular stuff to folks in other countries, even by special order. Or even acknowledge they exist.

I get that some things can be restricted by EPA type regs (saws, fuel cans, etc.). And some are covered by different safety standards (chaps, PPE, etc.).

In a world of international commerce, where I can get stuff form China via eBay in less than a week, I should be able to order most (non-regulated) stuff from their catalogs, if willing to pay for it.

Philbert

79b8b91c3ae0a488854ead784c671248.jpg

Thought about your post today as I was browsing lol

What gets me is a FS listing where they take a picture with the chain sprocket cover off and the saw is covered in oily wood shavings from the last time it was used. They don';t care enough to clean the saw before listing it, yet they're asking top dollar, and all of the comments are what a great guy the seller is.

Called the local dealer today just to ask out of curiosity if they carry any full skip chain.

his response was “we only carry full chisel”.

I said I’m sure they’re full chisel but I’m wondering if you carry any SKIP chain.

he said “just safety chain and full chisel”

Latest posts

Back