Chainsaw shipping costs on eBay: Effective way to complain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know and understand that sellers on eBay have to cover the actual shipping cost, plus eBay's cut, plus things like boxes, packing materials, travel time & distance (when applicable), etc.

What I've noticed for quite some time now is the shipping costs on eBay are way too high, even considering the above-listed factors. My understanding is the eBay shipping calculator automatically selects the highest rate (???). I've given several listings a miss because the shipping pushed the total cost too high.

My question is: Is there an effective way to complain, other than through each individual listing?

You can have it show the shipping cost in the search results. Then just combine the two - forget about what is shipping and what is item. Only the total matters.

The shipping calculators can be way off, sometimes by a slightly large given dimension, can make the shipping cost go way up. First I would contact the seller. He might adjust the rate for you before you pay. The oversize
penalty, coupled by the difficulty of safely packing in a bar{which is the usual reason it kicks into oversize cost}
are the main reasons that I usually sell the saw without the bar/chain. The down side is, that the item doesn't get bidded as high as would a saw with bar/chain. What saw did you get? What was the weight and dimensions? With bar? from zip to which zip? I can look up my costs and see what mine say.

No, is the answer to your question. IMHO, Ebay started charging final values fees on shipping to eliminate the ridiculous 99 cent items with $100 shipping. You used to be able to file a complaint against an individual auction if the shipping was extreme.

I see you did mention Ebay's cut. Just want to make sure you undestand if someone charges $50 for shipping, Ebay charges the seller $5 for final value fees on shipping and that doesn't include the final value fees on the saw. Final value fees on a saw that sold for $300 would be $30, so total of $35 in fees for them. Then Paypal gets 2.9% + .30 = $10.45 So, all together, $45.45 in fees and they haven't packed the box yet.

Best way is to just call the person selling and do the sale outside of ebay to avoid the dumptruck load of fees!
I've done it with companies that list their name. See it on ebay and instead just order it through their website or by calling them. Kind of messed up I guess, but IMO eBay has gotten way too greedy.
I've been a member of eBay since about 1998 and back then it was maybe .10 to list an item and the fees were maybe 1-2% of the sale. Now it's well into 10%.

What's the best way to ship a saw? I ship usps, but I'd like to find a cheaper route.

I shipped a 262 with bar from Ks to NC, 20 lbs, for $26 retail ground with $200 insurance. I don't like USPS insurance, but it sure helps the package get where its suppose to. Without insurance, it would have been $21. UPS ground would have probably been the same. I don't have Fed X unless I drive 35 miles.

You can have it show the shipping cost in the search results. Then just combine the two - forget about what is shipping and what is item. Only the total matters.

But that doesn't address the issue of doing something about way-too-high shipping costs.

Scenario: A seller lists a PHO with a reasonable BIN price, but then the ridiculously high shipping costs ruins what would be a decent deal if the shipping were more realistic.

Best way is to just call the person selling and do the sale outside of ebay to avoid the dumptruck load of fees!
I've done it with companies that list their name. See it on ebay and instead just order it through their website or by calling them. Kind of messed up I guess, but IMO eBay has gotten way too greedy.
I've been a member of eBay since about 1998 and back then it was maybe .10 to list an item and the fees were maybe 1-2% of the sale. Now it's well into 10%.

That's one way to do it. The downside is if the seller gets caught by eBay, or if the seller decides to report you to eBay for making such an offer.

No, is the answer to your question. IMHO, Ebay started charging final values fees on shipping to eliminate the ridiculous 99 cent items with $100 shipping. You used to be able to file a complaint against an individual auction if the shipping was extreme.

I see you did mention Ebay's cut. Just want to make sure you undestand if someone charges $50 for shipping, Ebay charges the seller $5 for final value fees on shipping and that doesn't include the final value fees on the saw. Final value fees on a saw that sold for $300 would be $30, so total of $35 in fees for them. Then Paypal gets 2.9% + .30 = $10.45 So, all together, $45.45 in fees and they haven't packed the box yet.

EBay definitely benefits from the overpriced shipping, and perhaps the seller if the gap between actual shipping cost is and the amount charged + eBay's cut is large enought.

I used to see the stupid low prices where the sellers compensated with excessive shipping costs. And I used to wonder how long eBay was going to tolerate it. Ebay used to shut down some of the more obvious listings, but some sellers got quite good at not being too obvious.

I think most people bid with shipping in mind. Ive been asked before to give credits back on overcharging for shipping, the problem is, if my shipping calculator is off, then that affects how much people are willing to bid. If I had lower shipping prices, then the bid amount would go higher.

Ebay rates are extremely high for sellers, but it does get the seller a lot more coverage and usually a higher sale price than if they try to sell the item locally. I still don't use them much as they are taking a BIG chunk out of the total at the end of the auction, then another small bite with Pay Pal.

I've noticed that many sellers try to inflate the shipping prices with additional fees to offset what Ebay is going to take from them in percentage of the sale price, been like that for years and not much a buyer can do about it but figure the high shipping into the cost of the purchase as you bid, to make sure you don't overpay for the item you are interested in......Cliff

I'm wondering, based on comments in this thread, how much shipping some of the people have actually done? For instance, regarding priority mail, that is the only option the USPS offers for many shipments in certain zones. Whether one wants to or not, Priority Mail is how it has to ship between many points.
Also, in January, USPS reset their price structure and several factors increased shipping by a large margin. eg, I used to pay $5.25 to ship a small flat rate box. Now that is $6.80. etc.

My best answer is if you don't like the total cost of the item, then don't buy it. It's that simple.

Small flat rate is $6.10 with commercial base pricing (postage meter or use PayPal shipping)

My best answer is if you don't like the total cost of the item, then don't buy it. It's that simple.

My position is why should the buyer have to tolerate excessive charges? Skip items that would be worth buying if the shipping were more accurate and reasonable?

I've messaged sellers asking if they can use a less expensive way to ship. Some have worked with me, some have said they have to go with what the eBay shipping calculator tells them.

I thinks it's ridiculous that items that can ship for say $30.00 (which includes the extra $ to help the seller not lose money on the shipping--see my original post) show $50.00 shipping. Some sellers must realize that this hurts their listings.

Obviously there are listings where the winning bid or BIN prices balances out even with excessive shipping costs. Equally obviously there are listings where the excessive shipping costs keeps bidders & buyers away. If sellers are OK with the latter, let them keep their items.

But that doesn't address the issue of doing something about way-too-high shipping costs.

Scenario: A seller lists a PHO with a reasonable BIN price, but then the ridiculously high shipping costs ruins what would be a decent deal if the shipping were more realistic.
To me it does address the issue - if the costs of something are too high I don't buy it. It doesn't matter what proportion of those costs are shipping. Why does it matter how good the deal would be if it weren't a lousy deal? I'd be really good looking if I were really good looking - but I'm not.

Simple market forces should move prospective buyers away from those who have artificially jacked up shipping costs, thereby discouraging the practice.

I see this all the time on eBay BTW - an enticing buy it now price with a ridiculous shipping charge. I don't know how that works as I don't sell stuff, but have always assumed someone is playing a game to lure in those who don't pay proper attention to the shipping costs. It's 2016 in the US - everything is a potential scam and someone is trying to rip you off 24/7/365.

My younger brother is producing some very high quality parts for various dirt bikes. He called just last night saying that he was going to have to call E-Bay in regards to shipping prices and get some clarification.

His parts are small & light weight. But yet, E-Bay wants over $6.00 in fees charged to him. I haven't sold anything myself on E-Bay in years. It just wasn't worth all the frustration and aggravation, as well as being too expensive.

Latest posts

Back