Chainsaw Size for Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newyankee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting into chainsaw milling. Is a farm boss going to be too small for the job?

Generally, think of three levels of saw (1) homeowner (2) ranch and farm (3) pro saws. That is low to high dependability, toughness and longevity. You want a tough saw to mill with. Get a pro level

Next, Power requirements. Everything depends on the size of your eyes. Got big eyes for big logs? You need a big saw. Smaller eyes for small logs? You need a medium plus saw. I personally wouldn't think of milling anything with less than 60 ccs. 70ccs is where I started with a Huqvarna 372xp. Okay, maybe small softwoods (but my eyes are bigger than that) Granberg has a chart that shows how many ccs you need for certain cut widths. I think they are being overly generous but maybe that works for softwoods

https://www.granberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BAR-CHART-GRAPH.pdf

There are a couple threads on here where people have talked about the smaller saws they have milled with; some saws have survived better than others. Mostly it is advised that you can start with a smallish saw (whatever you already have, or fits a small budget) to try milling a smallish log to see if it (milling) is something you want to pursue further. Smallish log, sharp chain and take your time; don't push the saw hard. And tune the saw's air:fuel mix a little rich; lean will kill it soon.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/smallest-cc-saws-anyone-has-used-for-milling.297865/
I believe Farm Boss has been used on various saws, various sizes.

When I started working in the bush ( pruning/brushing....) it was full time 8-9 hours a day and everyone was running 266. I beat the crap out of that saw, did everything imaginable and more(threw it , kicked it, hot fueled it...) and that saw just kept on ticking. I think that if I had that saw again I would not hesitate to mill small stuff with it. To me small stuff would be 10" and not more than 4-5'..Like others have said , sharp chain and let the saw cool some between cuts.

I'm interested in getting into chainsaw milling. Is a farm boss going to be too small for the job?
What they said ^^^

Big cubes, Big oiler, big tanks..... Milling is demanding on saws. You'll want plenty of "Headroom" with your powerhead.
I started with 90cc and then quickly went to 120cc..
That said, if you have small diameter logs and just want to give a try....you might get through it.
If you need to rely on that saw for other purposes (Your farm Boss).... you should probably reconsider and seek another more capable.
Milling can be fun and productive but it also kinda sucks!
Might be best to give a try and see if it's your thing.

Thanks guys! I'm thinking of milling no more than 6' at a time. Maybe I will upgrade the saw when I get some extra cash. Or possibly get the big bore kit?
"

90cc or bigger , external clutch is ideal, keeps heat away from crank seal etc....
Crank your oiler up all the way...stihls dont oil as well not in factory form..
And get it ported for milling!!!
Opens up and keeps the heat out, more rpms and or power for sure, just have the builder port it for whatever size bar your gonna use...

Hmm. I took a quick look at that 'sawing experts"site. It reads like a translation from another language (not that there's anything wrong with that). Awkward wording and phrasing.

If you haven't yet, look over the CS Milling 101 stickie at the top of this forum.

I did a partial trade on a 660 I had.

The guy milled a whole house of lumber with a 360 and 30 something inch bar.

I've watched a few chainsaw mills and even ones with high powered saws are like watching paint dry compared to even a small bandsaw mill.
Couldn't imagine making a whole house of lumber. Probably cheaper to buy lumber when factoring time and fuel.

I did a partial trade on a 660 I had.

The guy milled a whole house of lumber with a 360 and 30 something inch bar.

I've watched a few chainsaw mills and even ones with high powered saws are like watching paint dry compared to even a small bandsaw mill.
Couldn't imagine making a whole house of lumber. Probably cheaper to buy lumber when factoring time and fuel.

Milling lumber with a CSM isn’t really practical, where there is road access and a lumber yard within 100 miles

Out in the wilds of Alaska, or for niche markets like table tops and such is where CSM’s really shine

Low Volume, Specialty work is the province of the CSM.

for a couple thousand you can mill slabs 40”+ in width, that a band mill capable of that would be Tens of Thousands of dollars. Many can justify the expense of a CSM, where they couldn’t for a Band or Circle Mill, especially if they have other uses like Firewood for their chainsaw.

Something like a 395XP, or 660, is still manageable for large firewood, and can still mill some respectable logs

Doug :cheers:

Back