Chainsaw Smoke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 168049

Hi, I'm sure a few of you have seen my dreaded MS211 project on here over the past few weeks. I've managed to get the saw running finally, if not a little lumpy. There's a definite issue with the choke which I'm fairly sure cannot be fixed at this point due to damage of the chainsaw's frame. My last major hurdle is the amount of white smoke that is billowing out of this thing. I've changed all filters and I've put a fresh mix of fuel in it as to rule out oil and stale fuel issues. This seems quite significant considering the sheer volume of smoke coming out, also seems like there's oil dripping from the exhaust now and then? I've put videos taken earlier as examples

Thanks

I usually will get the same result after I restore an old saw but it will quickly dissipate after the old oil and carbon start to burn off. Your 2nd video shows what appers to be an exhaust leak of sorts, try a new gasket or make one to seal it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I usually will get the same result after I restore an old saw but it will quickly dissipate after the old oil and carbon start to burn off. Your 2nd video shows what appers to be an exhaust leak of sorts, try a new gasket or make one to seal it.

So you think it might be a case of letting it burn off all the crap?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Possibly, you have no idea how the mix was prepared (rich) so if this is its first fews runs I'd give it a bit of time. Check the exhaust port for buildup and a leak.

Possibly, you have no idea how the mix was prepared (rich) so if this is its first fews runs I'd give it a bit of time. Check the exhaust port for buildup and a leak.

Exhaust is completely clear, I mixed the fuel to 50:1. This saw is used, I bought it as a non runner. Been letting it sit for a while now and its pi****g oil out of the exhaust [emoji848]

For reference 20200323_151712.jpg20200323_151710.jpg

Is the carb adjusted properly? What model carb is it?

I'm struggling to find a carb adjustment guide that covers this saw, I've adjusted it within the parameters set out in the manual to run as smoothly as I can. I've been told the carb is a C1Q-S119D

If the fuel mix is between 50:1 and 32:1 and tuning is close, all you need to do in run the saw under load and the residual oil will burn off.[emoji111]
Thats what I assumed would happen, I've just ran it for 15m under idle/load 50/50 and honestly the smoking just seems to be getting worse. Might be worth taking to someone to see about getting the carb done properly

Hopefully this will get you in the ballpark.
ffaa90d0fd6a4e611634e352acf85be3.jpg

Hopefully this will get you in the ballpark.
ffaa90d0fd6a4e611634e352acf85be3.jpg

Yeah this is what I had set it to previously, yet still having the oil issue. I dont know, I think it's going to end up on ebay

Also did you set the metering lever properly? If its running rich it could be set too high according to the diagram it should be just barely above the base of the carb.

Did you clean out / degrease the muffler?

I did, the exhaust was completely dry, oil and fuel free and I'm not going to say clean, but clean enough for a a very used saw

Also did you set the metering lever properly? If its running rich it could be set too high according to the diagram it should be just barely above the base of the carb.

Umm yeah that could be an issue. I replaced the metering lever spring, but the oil issue got worse, then replaced it with the old spring. I didnt know it could be set. If you havent guessed I'm very inexperienced sadly

Umm yeah that could be an issue. I replaced the metering lever spring, but the oil issue got worse, then replaced it with the old spring. I didnt know it could be set. If you havent guessed I'm very inexperienced sadly

All the carb manufacturers have manuals on line to assist so no worries, it's all trial and error at first and even when you know what's going on a picky carb can suck[emoji3064]
e4aecc2acb1186fa4fbb0641c3db346f.jpg

Back