Chainsaw/Spare Chain Storage Ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckingBear

Reaction score
Two part question:
How does everyone secure your chainsaws when traveling? I have a small net in my truck that holds it in place, but it still clatters around more than I'd like.

How does everyone store extra chains when you're traveling in the woods? Mine get thrown into the saw bag with files and wedges and such, but always get tangled up.

Thoughts much appreciated!

Little sandwich meat Tupperware is good for storing chains. For saws I put a piece of plywood in the bed. You can even make saw holding slots to keep them in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my spare rims, chains, files, spark plugs, etc. fit in a mil-surplus .50 cal ammo can. Keep the chains in their original packaging and they do well.

chain storage... Free Gladware???

Eat more sandwiches and save the containers.
-Uniform
-stack-able
-holds all size chains
-keeps dirty chains contained
-holds in a shot of wd40 if needed
- keeps truck and car cleaner
-allows for more snackies :dancing:

large_7d7f637a-277c-44b0-b19d-ce259cc10451.jpg

Chain in ziplock bag with a piece of paper indicating DL count and if it's sharp or dull.

There's enough bark in the back of my wood hauler truck that the saws will sit right where I put them if I lay them on the clutch side.

In the SUV I use cardboard and carpet pieces. A garbage bag laid down for ones that like to drip bar oil or leak gas.

When I have the cap on my Dakota, I hang spent chains on the clamps holding the cap in place.

I use some heavy duty parts bags that are about the size of sammich bags. A shot of wd40 in them and they pack nicely into this type of box
10083LC3%20Green%20Comp.jpg

it also holds tools and spare saw parts. They come in all sorts of sizes as well.
The bottoms are " spiky " and will grip nicely on carpet in ones trunk area. Milk crates work very well as well as a carry all.

Too funny Rockjock, when I moved from Cali to WI, I stopped at 5 or 6 different stores and picked up over 150 of these containers, they fill and stack nicely. I use them in my shop, and basement to store spare parts and they stack really nicely when they're empty. I think I've got 40-50 empties in the garage attic, just waiting for a few uses. They are great for so many things.

Too funny Rockjock, when I moved from Cali to WI, I stopped at 5 or 6 different stores and picked up over 150 of these containers, they fill and stack nicely. I use them in my shop, and basement to store spare parts and they stack really nicely when they're empty. I think I've got 40-50 empties in the garage attic, just waiting for a few uses. They are great for so many things.

I know right they are great and they come in so many different sizes as well! Very handy indeed! Stihl used to sell the chains in a plastic box, I kept quite of those as well.

STIHL%20PLASTIC%20CHAIN%20BOX-SMALL.jpg

In Germany they actually sell a chain box

3bf96f5d9fb44e2aaf212e13a49ca01f.jpg

I will have to pick some of those up next time I am there. The options are endless really. Garage sale plastic tool boxes also work very well.

I use the original Stihl boxes, remove the card stock label, and put an old business card in the box with the chain description written on it.

Am told clear plastic VCR tape boxes work well too.

Chain in ziplock bag with a piece of paper indicating DL count and if it's sharp or dull.

There's enough bark in the back of my wood hauler truck that the saws will sit right where I put them if I lay them on the clutch side.

In the SUV I use cardboard and carpet pieces. A garbage bag laid down for ones that like to drip bar oil or leak gas.
I was previously using plastic baggies but the sharp chain would cut them apart pretty quick. The gladware takes ducktape labels pretty easy and don't cut up and drip oil.

Two part question:
How does everyone secure your chainsaws when traveling? I have a small net in my truck that holds it in place, but it still clatters around more than I'd like.

How does everyone store extra chains when you're traveling in the woods? Mine get thrown into the saw bag with files and wedges and such, but always get tangled up.

Thoughts much appreciated!
Hello, I have developed a container that keeps you chain from getting tangled up! I'm working with the engineering department at Boise State and they have 3D printed me a prototype. I have a patent pending and am still in the market research stage to see if I can make a go of it. The name of my container will be " Baker's Straight Jacket " Because you can go insane, untangling your saw chain! Let me know what you think.IMG_0176[1].JPG

Hello, I have developed a container that keeps you chain from getting tangled up! I'm working with the engineering department at Boise State and they have 3D printed me a prototype. I have a patent pending and am still in the market research stage to see if I can make a go of it. The name of my container will be " Baker's Straight Jacket " Because you can go insane, untangling your saw chain! Let me know what you think.View attachment 908887
This is just me, but I don't see "chains getting tangled" as the insanity-causing, day-ending nightmare that you describe. It's just one of those things that happens, and that you get used to, like rainy days or a tangled fishing leader. 30 seconds or let's say a minute on a "bad morning" and it's untangled again. I'm not sure the presumably increased cost of a patent-pending "solution" -- definitely more expensive than free lunchmeat boxes -- and the increased size would be worth it to many people, but maybe...good luck anyhow.

Hello, I have developed a container that keeps you chain from getting tangled up! I'm working with the engineering department at Boise State and they have 3D printed me a prototype. I have a patent pending and am still in the market research stage to see if I can make a go of it. The name of my container will be " Baker's Straight Jacket " Because you can go insane, untangling your saw chain! Let me know what you think.View attachment 908887
I like it. Keeping chains in a compact container is great.

Back