Chainsaw taking 100 pulls to start.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitram745

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, my chainsaw takes me forever to start, like I'm out of breath and done in. But when it's been shut off and still is warm, it only takes one pull. I have an older Craftsman Pro 20", "358.59820.1" model. I can't find anything on web whatsoever about it. Would it be my carbeurator?

Attachments

• 20200629_214730.jpg
    20200629_214730.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Hello, my chainsaw takes me forever to start, like I'm out of breath and done in. But when it's been shut off and still is warm, it only takes one pull. I have an older Craftsman Pro 20", "358.59820.1" model. I can't find anything on web whatsoever about it. Would it be my carbeurator?
Sounds like the choke isnt closing 100 percent look at it.

Fresh fuel, new spark plug, fuel lines are in good shape and carbeurator looks clean. Still taking 100 pulls. The choke is closed all the way. I don't know...
Does this saw have a "part throttle" starting position? Does it work and are you using it? 2-strokes don't like to start cold with the throttle closed.

Is the plug wet or dry after all that pulling?
If dry it could be a pumping issue where the little flappers that are integrated into the pump side carb gasket are stiff and/or warped and don't seal properly.
This can create weak pumping of fuel to the carb and is compounded because it can also cause the fuel sitting in the stored saw to more easily leak back into the tank during storage.
Once the carb isn't primed/wet anymore the flappers seal even less efficiently. Often the pump diaphragm, that's part of the same gasket, will also be stiff and then also impedes pumping. Add a small leak in the impulse line/circuit and you can pull forever before fuel gets to the carb.

As has been mentioned, squirting some fuel into the carb or cylinder can help, starting the saw jumpstarts the pumping action and once wet will work for successive starts in the short term.

Is the plug wet or dry after all that pulling?
If dry it could be a pumping issue where the little flappers that are integrated into the pump side carb gasket are stiff and/or warped and don't seal properly.
This can create weak pumping of fuel to the carb and is compounded because it can also cause the fuel sitting in the stored saw to more easily leak back into the tank during storage.
Once the carb isn't primed/wet anymore the flappers seal even less efficiently. Often the pump diaphragm, that's part of the same gasket, will also be stiff and then also impedes pumping. Add a small leak in the impulse line/circuit and you can pull forever before fuel gets to the carb.

As has been mentioned, squirting some fuel into the carb or cylinder can help, starting the saw jumpstarts the pumping action and once wet will work for successive starts in the short term.
Thank you for your help. I'll look into this and see if it is dry.

At cranking speeds, it is the function of the choke that brings fuel into the carb not the fuel pump action. As mentioned above, make sure the choke is closing properly and the throttle is being held partly open. Various saws have different methods of latching the throttle partly open for cold starting and for hard hot starting. Some small saws don't have this and you have to hold the throttle open while cranking, however it is achieved, the throttle must be partly open for cold starting or you are in for a lot of pulling.

At cranking speeds, it is the function of the choke that brings fuel into the carb not the fuel pump action. As mentioned above, make sure the choke is closing properly and the throttle is being held partly open. Various saws have different methods of latching the throttle partly open for cold starting and for hard hot starting. Some small saws don't have this and you have to hold the throttle open while cranking, however it is achieved, the throttle must be partly open for cold starting or you are in for a lot of pulling.
Gee... I hear an echo! (See post #10 above). The OP doesn't seem interested. Must like to pull that rope!

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back