Chainsaw won’t start driving me nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive actually ordered another new carb

It's not such a long shot:

I know fuel is in the bottom of the carb - you can see the bulb pulling it through.
I know air is going into the engine.
I know that there is a spark (but i've ordered a new coil just in case) The existing coil tests at 0.5 ohms so it's bang on spec
I know the timing is OK becuase the keyway is intact

So I only need compression / vacumm under the piston to go along the umpulse pipe and for the carb membrane to do it's job and pump the fuel.

I think it's hugely unlikely that the crank seals have gone (but i will go there if needed)

if the crank seals are intact then there is pressure in the impulse pipe and fuel should pump

so it's back to carb

Let's assume that the original one went wrong / got clogged - it wasn't the best in the work when I reconditioned it. Maybe my clean out didn't work.

Then the new aftermarket one I bought had 4/5 stars on Amazon so lets assume that 10% of the carbs they sell don't work

I really could have 2 duff carbs - it's not 'that' of a long shot

So another new carb coming....

Just in case since it’s driving me crazy I have a video of it. You need to have the sound on or it’s pretty meaningless.

So you can hear that it’s kinda firing while I pull then there is the tiniest blip then nothing.

You can’t see on the video very well but there is smoke / it’s defo burning something.

Anyway here goes in case anybody has a eureka moment.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    7 MB
I was just trying to offer advice to the original poster’s woes. I’ve been in his situation, unable to afford to take it to a shop. And what I did to fix it myself. Just an old farmers trick

@Duce i don’t appreciate you being so quick to dismiss my advice. I’ve been doing this awhile. It’s an old farmers trick. Worked for me and would probably work for this guy too.

Hi All,

I will try (another) new carb and new coil in a day or two - at lerast thats cheap and easy.

After that it is look at the crank case for bearing oil seals gone or crack etc...

Thank you for all your help.

Cheers,

Success

It was the coil (or the HT lead connected to the coil)

Even though the coil was supposed to be good - there was a spark when the plug was grounded and the coil tested to 0.5ohms like Husqvarna say it should and the air gap was set correctly... it was the coil.

I took off all the stop start wires so they could have nothing to do with it.

Put on a new coil and it started.

Put the old coil back on and it didn't.

So either the coil went or more likely I think it was the HT lead on the coil.

So massive lesson learned for me - try the starting fluid early becuase that can really give a big clue and its easy and cheap.

Thank you all for your help and patience - I am defo no expert but I have learned something that I won't forget in a hurry and hopefully people in furture will read this thread and it will help them too.

Latest posts

Back