chainsaw won't start and I'm running out of ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other thing to try...like Rupedoggy said, it could be severely flooded, crankcase full of gas. Flip it upside down with the plug out, and pull it over like crazy and see if fuel spatters out. If so, keep pulling until you see nothing more than a slight mist. I have had things do what you described, and I had to do that to clear them out, even after sitting.

I'll do that. Thank you!

You checked the flywheel key I guess right? Could be the coil or the flywheel maybe. Pull the muffler and look at the piston while you are at it.
I'm going to check the flywheel key in the morning. If I'm getting 150 psi compression would there still be a reason to look at the piston? I thought scoring on the piston would lead to bad compression.
The coil is about all that's left to consider. I'd like to find the resistance specs so I could check it.

Thanks again!

You are probably being led astray by ignition issues but if you follow the above advice on making SURE that it isn't just badly flooded, you should suspect timing and then maybe coil and yes a good ignition will fire a 1/4" gap in free air. A basic check on a slipped flywheel is to rotate the engine in it's normal direction and when the magnets in the FW are aligned with the ends of the laminated pole pieces in the coil, the piston should just be coming up to TDC. Is that a points ignition? Are there any wires that come from under the FW?

BOOM! It started. Making progress. After sitting out all night, upside down, plug out, with a fan blowing over, it started like a scalded cat on the first pull with the throttle wide open. So it was definitely experiencing a flooded condition. I think there may have been another issue that was corrected with the replacements. That failure led to it getting flooded. I had no idea it still be flooded after so many hours with the plug out. Thanks everyone for steering me that direction.

Now the issue is it won't stay running. After it starts at full throttle it will run balls out for about 5 seconds then die. If I keep trying to start it will only sputter a bit. If I give it a squirt from the primer bulb it appears to go back to the flooded condition where I have to give 5-6 good pulls then it runs balls out and quits. As mentioned earlier in the thread this is a new, aftermarket carb so it may be out of adjustment.

OK let's address this. When it dies does it burble like the choke is on, then die, or just suddenly die like it runs out of fuel? Set the needles to 1 and 1/4 each and try. If that does not at least make it kinda sorta run then you have other issues.

OK let's address this. When it dies does it burble like the choke is on, then die, or just suddenly die like it runs out of fuel? Set the needles to 1 and 1/4 each and try. If that does not at least make it kinda sorta run then you have other issues.
sounds like running out of fuel to me. So, open each one 1.25 turns from closed, correct?

I had a trimmer that gave me fits trying to figure out. Good fuel, good air, good spark. But it wouldn’t run. Turned out to be mud daubers had plugged up the exhaust.

Okay, at both needles open 1.25 turns I can keep it running at part/full throttle. (The right needle was only open about half a turn from the factory). Even after keeping it running for a few minutes at part throttle, it won't idle. It just dies. Getting there!!

There is another screw for higher idle setting (it is like holding the throttle part open). Try turning that screw in until it idles. If this does not work them I would suspect the carb is bad or there is a leak of air getting into the saw somewhere.

BTW check to make sure your fuel tank is full. If the filter is out of the liquid even a little, it will not run correctly.
Actually that could be it. The tank is pretty low. I'll go pick up more fuel tonight or in the morning then report back. Thanks again!

If you have not monkied with the OEM carb settings check them and set your new carb to the same.
You might consider re-installing your OEM carb for a test. If it's worse consider installing a kit in the OEM carb if the kit can be had at reasonable cost.
Was the new carb a $10 with free shipping China clone type??? (just curious here)
Chaina is getting better at cloning carbs but I still don't completely trust them YET.

yeah I'm also curious on the carb. What part did you use, and was it an exact OEM clone, or slightly different, etc?

when I fixed this P4018WT, the replacement carb had decent reviews on amazon and was cheap, was in a kit with other little goodies that got this saw up and running. everyone said you had to trim the top cover for the throttle linkage. totally true, and it fired right up, tuned easily. the throttle linkage isn't as smooth as the OEM Zama carb, though. I rebuilt the OEM carb later on and may slap it back on, but I gave the saw to my BIL who knows nothing - he hasn't used it much but did just say he "adjusted the screws" so who knows..... maybe he'll destroy it.

Back