chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old 394xp (has a 395xp top end conversion) did quite well on my mill. I would buy a new 395xp based on how long the 394 served me. The 661 is a great saw as well. Both tops for milling imo. I'd lean toward another husqy myself. I have a good dealer... stihl not so much. Ymmv

My old 394xp (has a 395xp top end conversion) did quite well on my mill. I would buy a new 395xp based on how long the 394 served me. The 661 is a great saw as well. Both tops for milling imo. I'd lean toward another husqy myself. I have a good dealer... stihl not so much. Ymmv
That’s a new approach, get the mill, then the saw, am off to buy a tree, guess what I will need then.

Either saw is good, I would take the Husky, but if if the dealer was a pain to work with
when issues arise, I would buy off the Stihl dealer. But others with experience will chime in,
a good oiler is a must, that would swing me a bit too.

What price are you looking at for either the 661, or 395?

You may be getting very close to what you can get a 3120XP for, from Dave, “The Chainsawguy” here on AS

Dave sells the 3120XP, NIB, PHO for $1399.00 SHIPPED, through the AS forum, he also sells through ebay, but charges $99 shipping through ebay

Dave is a Reliable Seller, I bought my 3120XP from him, as have several other AS members

Yep, the 3120XP is a BEAST, but it is Hard to beat, when milling

Doug :cheers:

What price are you looking at for either the 661, or 395?

You may be getting very close to what you can get a 3120XP for, from Dave, “The Chainsawguy” here on AS

Dave sells the 3120XP, NIB, PHO for $1399.00 SHIPPED, through the AS forum, he also sells through ebay, but charges $99 shipping through ebay

Dave is a Reliable Seller, I bought my 3120XP from him, as have several other AS members

Yep, the 3120XP is a BEAST, but it is Hard to beat, when milling

Thank you. I will look into the 3120XP

That’s a new approach, get the mill, then the saw, am off to buy a tree, guess what I will need then.

Either saw is good, I would take the Husky, but if if the dealer was a pain to work with
when issues arise, I would buy off the Stihl dealer. But others with experience will chime in,
Good advice , Thank you.

You will want to run an external oiler. The one grandburg sells is alright but the square tubing it uses to mount on the mill likes to vibrate apart. Lots of pics here of home made ones. Can you adjust the chain on a 395 and 3120 while they are clamped in the mill? Not that it would make a difference to me but just something to note. I use a cobbled together ms660 and it works fine. If I could do it all over again I would have gone with the larger Husqvarna.

Thank you. I will look into the 3120XP

Dave has a listing in the AS “Tradin Post”, you can PM him through that to order a 3120XP

If you get a 3120XP, IGNORE the starting instructions in the Owners Manual.

It will tell you to use Choke AND Throttle Lock, that will usually Flood the saw. My 266XP “Ol Reliable” Likes Choke and Throttle Lock, my 3120 Not So Much

When starting, try Choke, NO Throttle Lock, after 2-3 pulls she should “Snort”, then shut off the Choke, and 2-3 more pulls she should wake up the neighborhood

The 3120 is a Beast, Especially if you Flood her, a little experimenting and you should quickly find what your saw likes, that is how I Tickle mine to make her Giggle and Grin. Once I figured out what she likes, it isn’t a bad saw to start, but Dayum near gave me a Coronary figuring it out

THX for the info.

We use a pair of 390xp on the granberg with a double ended bar, before that my 385xp and a johnsered super 930 before that just the 930, the 390’s are a good set for that, I'm would think a 395 would be a good single saw. I try to run fuel mix heavy as it’s really a tough workout for a saw, make sure to keep the bar and chain and brake cover extra clean and i try to run a fairly light B+C for extra sling. Be aware you are taking life away from your saw , IMO, i buy them to use them, but for some that is a painful thought process.

Latest posts

Back