Chainsaws and Koi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Kind of learned something today. I was removing a really dead and crispy pine in a back yard. The yard had no access and was full of tropical landscaping, and had a impressive pond running throu it, full of these big colorful Koi fish, and turtles. Every piece had to be lowered down and carried out through the garage. The man and his "partner",(this is so ca.) were really worried about their fish, and turtles to say the lest.
Never gave much thought to how much bar oil a 066 spits out before. I made sure we covered the pond with a cover(mesh)to protect the fish from chips. but when we pulled off the mesh cover it looked like the Gulf. Major oil slick.
Boy were they upset.(rightfully so I guess) I messed up big time on that one. Their threaten to sue the company if the fish die. The Company is sending out a Koi expert tomorrow, that can't be cheap. I'm not 100% sure one of the groundys didn't maybe spill saw gas in there.
I just thought I'd share this experence in hopes it might keep someone else from making a similar mistake. Beast.

That doesn't sound good man.Your saw must of been pumping a serious amount of oil to create a slick!

Sounds like a spill is more probable but I wouldn't want a groundie working with me who would be so daft as to be fueling near a pond and then not to own up up to such a thing.........

Did you take photos?

I did one at a historical residence in our midtown district last Summer that had a Koi pond with fish in it. The HO did the same thing. I was doing a very large dead Oak and the HO said the Oak wood chips were poisonous to the fish. I kept that in mind and held up on my cuts when the wind would blow in that direction. He kept the pond covered with a plastic tarp and skimmed any saw dust out that found it's way into the pond.

Oh yeah, I also use vegetable oil for bar oil throughout most of the year. I am only using regular bar oil in the cold months here as the vegi oil will gel in freezing temps. Wouldn't be a problem in SoCal tho.

Use a contained spill kit to soak up the oil.

It doesn't take much oil to make a slick. The oil will disperse to a few microns thick on the water, so a single drop will cover over a foot square with that pretty irridescent sheen.

Canola is better than petrol based oil but will still kill fish. We occasionally have canola oil spills at the port here and there is always talk of fish kill by the fishery folks.

I've worked at a few places with koi before, they are very touchy about how work is carried out... cover the pond with a tarp, barriers, and don't prune too much foliage out from above them.

I know I'm gonna get this wrong but I'll try.
Wisdom beats being stupid. Wisdom is gained by being stupid first.
Wish I didn't have to learn the hard way first so much of the time.
Steve W.

Wow- Better hope the fish survive, depending on the color and size of the koi, they can be worth some serious $$$$$.:cry:

Man, that sounds like a nightmare. I hope the job was worth more than the clean up will cost you. Good heads up though, I will definitely tarp any pond I come across from now on. Like said before, it only take a couple of drops. I guess you should also calculate the risk into your estimate accordingly for the job if there are exotic fish or anything like that involved that can be messed up by you or your guys. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Adam

All your posts, and not one helpful solution given

I found this thread searching Chainsaw oil spill in Koi pond. Lots of cute remarks, but no one offers any solution for removing chainsaw chain oil from a pond.

Pond owner here and after tree guys left after cutting back a large tree near my pond, I found the pond surface covered in a thin sheen of oil, like a miniature BP oil spill.

I'm sure these guys were not using any kind of edible food oil to lube the chains so what do I do? It's late November, pond plants are frost bit and dying back, probably coated with the oil too.

I'm a boater, and found a few sheets of oil-absorbant pads in the basement that I put under boat engines in the bilge. I have them floating on the pond, hoping they soak up some oil. Also removing as much of the dead/dying pond vegetation, mostly pickerel rush.

I'm assuming the oil should stay on the surface so I'm leaving the pond pump running to continue normal pond filtration to the gravel & pebble pond filter. I sure don't want that getting gunked up with oil.

I thought I'd thought of everything, but why I didn't think of the oil their chainsaws would be slinging, I don't know. My bet is that it's probably a shot glass or less of oil, but the sheen covers the entire pond.

My fish come to the surface around dark (6 hours from now) begging to be fed and that's when I'm concerned that they'll ingest the oil as they suck at anything new they see on the surface hoping its Koi pond sticks (food).

Maybe I should call BP HQ and ask what to do. I'm sure they'd give a crap about my pond and fish and bullfrogs.

Dangit.

Based on what I've said, anyone know if I can expect a large fish kill? Any suggestions on removing the oil? I may look up the number and call the local fire department's HazMat department for advise.

Thanks.

Dangit again.

Last edited:
Actually a good idea to call the FD Hazmat guys. They have oil containment booms and pads that they may be willing to sell you or at least give you some advice. Not sure I would leave that pump running. Better to soak it up off standing water. Is there any way you can remove the fish until this is taken care of?

I tell people right off the bat I am not responsible for your fish , you cover it , and schedule me when your satisfied that you've done all that can be done . I have seen fish eat the saw dust and I heard they die , but that is just here say

I tell people right off the bat I am not responsible for your fish , you cover it , and schedule me when your satisfied that you've done all that can be done . I have seen fish eat the saw dust and I heard they die , but that is just here say

That's pretty much it. You can't be responsible for everything. Something like this the owner needs to do whatever is necessary, we are not fish guys. But you have to get that straight and in writing up front.

Back