Chainsaws and trimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We know about the dumb things owners do to their saws, how about trimmers? There are probably more of them in urban centres than chainsaws and the owners never seem to understand how to load the line drum with new line. With the common bent shaft trimmer the line head turn in the same direction as the engine, and with the bump-to-feed system the knob holding the spool in the hub is attached with a normal right hand thread but with the straight shaft trimmer with a gearbox (not the tendon), the bevel gears reverse the direction that the line head turns so the knob is fitted with a left hand thread. So a guy with a bent shaft model decided to buy a better trimmer with a straight shaft and of course, tried to remove the knob the same way as with the bent shaft and turned it hard enough in the wrong direction until the plastic stripped and the knob was free to turn in any direction. Couldn't get the spool off, sold the trimmer for parts.

I have six of them in the basement for sale right now. Four have chicom carbs now. New lines ect. Definitely easy money but they seem to be more temperamental then saws to me. Curved shafts are harder to sell. You really gotta be careful not to go to deep on them.

I have six of them in the basement for sale right now. Four have chicom carbs now. New lines ect. Definitely easy money but they seem to be more temperamental then saws to me. Curved shafts are harder to sell. You really gotta be careful not to go to deep on them.
Had a guy load his trimmer with steel braided cable, echo srm225, tore alot of stuff up.

I run a srm210 and an FS-250

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I just was given a stihl fs45 gas trimmer. What a gutless wonder. Only thing I could figure out wrong with it was they had way too much oil in the mix. It poured out like it was straight oil. Filled it up with fresh fuel. Primed the bulb for what seemed like a million years. Smoked like heck after it fired up. Runs fine otherwise, just a gutless little trimmer. Trimmer head complaints do seem to pop up, even at the township we switched to an echo 3 line style head. Made life easier then showing guys how to properly wind a head all the time. I'm not really a craved shaft trimmer fan, but I guess they do have their place. Biggest thing I've found with the few I get to look at and repair is homeowners not running them dry at the end of the season, and they just toss them back in the shed for winter storage.

I love the Honda gx35 4-stroke Everything Is Easy from the power head to the line drum Blind Freddy could do it

I see people buying and using the cheapest trimmer line they can find on the shelf, thinnest diameter stuff no name brand crap. they load the head up slap full with all 50 foot of the 1.99 pack of line. Then they beat the crap out of it turning the head into a birds nest inside the hub usually pinching the line into itself so it jams and no longer feeds. people also tend to leave them outside in the rain, never change their plugs ,add far too much 2 stroke oil to the fuel and often remove the air filter and never put it back.

I see people buying and using the cheapest trimmer line they can find on the shelf, thinnest diameter stuff no name brand crap. they load the head up slap full with all 50 foot of the 1.99 pack of line. Then they beat the crap out of it turning the head into a birds nest inside the hub usually pinching the line into itself so it jams and no longer feeds. people also tend to leave them outside in the rain, never change their plugs ,add far too much 2 stroke oil to the fuel and often remove the air filter and never put it back.
You just described a few people I know to the T. Lol

We know about the dumb things owners do to their saws, how about trimmers? There are probably more of them in urban centres than chainsaws and the owners never seem to understand how to load the line drum with new line. With the common bent shaft trimmer the line head turn in the same direction as the engine, and with the bump-to-feed system the knob holding the spool in the hub is attached with a normal right hand thread but with the straight shaft trimmer with a gearbox (not the tendon), the bevel gears reverse the direction that the line head turns so the knob is fitted with a left hand thread. So a guy with a bent shaft model decided to buy a better trimmer with a straight shaft and of course, tried to remove the knob the same way as with the bent shaft and turned it hard enough in the wrong direction until the plastic stripped and the knob was free to turn in any direction. Couldn't get the spool off, sold the trimmer for parts.
Holy crap! most of that stuff had never occurred to me.

I've taken to perusing my owner's paperwork on anything new these days...I used to be wayyyy too smart for that. ; )

Back