Chainsaws for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some of the basic parameters for what saw would be required for different diameter trees and types of wood? Friend was looking at getting an Alaskan mil and was asking me, but I have no experience with one. Obviously bigger is better, but being realistic, what are some minimum requirements?

What are some of the basic parameters for what saw would be required for different diameter trees and types of wood? Friend was looking at getting an Alaskan mil and was asking me, but I have no experience with one. Obviously bigger is better, but being realistic, what are some minimum requirements?

90cc or better is a good place to start, unless all you'll be milling is pecker poles.

Up to 20" you can do with a 60-70cc, up to 24" you can do with a 70-80cc. Stihl 661 is the standard Logosol unit for those who consider it more than just a casual hobby - usually used with a 20-24" bar at my side of the pond.

Cheap old popular saw with good motor, parts availability (spares, sprocket sizes, bars for milling), adjustable carburetor and as close as possible to or over 100 cc for logs 20" and over.
I use three Stihl 076 and a couple 050/051...
Personally, I would never buy a brand new saw for hobby milling.

Ok seriously is a 385/390on the lite side? Because basically I just got the ok to go bigger. Bigger than 372XPXT. She wants a big bench and table. I was thinking 390 maybe........... but 395XP/3120xp would be awesome. Not a fan boy of any brand obviously but those saws in the big classes intrigue me the most. **** I want a MS462RCM so bad every time I get caught lookin at one I get the what you’re gonna do to that thing look lol.

Definitely go 90cc+. Otherwise you'll be very disappointed.
I milled a 20" loblolly with my 462. It did not like it. Very slow going and highly stressful on the saw.
I've found that for milling you want the largest engine and shortest bar.
I've used a milling chain, but did not notice much of a difference compared to a regular full chisel.
To each their own.

I use a Stihl 090. Plenty of power but also very porky. Definitely a workout to handle but I found it self feeding on a large beech tree on a steep hillside. I am waiting on a ms660 clone kit and big bore p/c to arrive. It was cheap and I am curious to see how it will work in the mill.

I use a Stihl 090. Plenty of power but also very porky. Definitely a workout to handle but I found it self feeding on a large beech tree on a steep hillside. I am waiting on a ms660 clone kit and big bore p/c to arrive. It was cheap and I am curious to see how it will work in the mill.

Back