Chainsaws In Wilderness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
284619d1363320965-kraus-ridge-20120001-jpg

Looks like a Brown Cubical Rot failure. Just a rind of sapwood still intact, buckled in a wind like a drinking straw.

That trail goes through some of the lower elevation old growth. A few years ago, I hiked in with a few people and we cut it open--with chainsaws but we didn't have big enough saws or skill needed to get some of the big giants out. Our local insurance agent, who is on call and contracts out came in and cleared the 6 and 8 footers out.

I think the tree in the photo is the one that injured The Used Dog.

That's actually a really good point, and one I hadn't considered before. I tend to see things through Forestry-colored glasses, so those other uses are secondary to me if I notice them at all.

You need a week in the Zumwalt for floral balancing of the ol' grey matter :D

Hmmm. All this discussion about wilderness and trails makes me think I might venture out on one today.
The Banjo Player is in walking wounded mode but I'll call and see if he wants to go. If not, The Used Dog and I can head out. The Banjo Player will not be able to scrabble over any downed woody material.

We can report on whether the skunk cabbage has buds yet, and if the ticks are horrid elsewhere.

Screw tranquility...that's for after work. When there's serious wood to be cut I want a power saw. God invented those things for a reason.

My preference is for crosscuts, even when I'm on a front country trail where chainsaws are allowed. Something about the way they sing and being able to hear every fiber snap as you work your way through the log.

My preference is for crosscuts, even when I'm on a front country trail where chainsaws are allowed. Something about the way they sing and being able to hear every fiber snap as you work your way through the log.

Bring your big crosscut, there's tons of big blow downs out here you can whittle up!

Love to, just for a change of scenery. A bit far to drive from Virginia though. Homeland Security's only just now allowing 1" knives on planes. Probably wouldn't let me board with a 7-foot saw.

As an avid hiker in areas designated as Wilderness by the Wilderness Act, I also advocate for a "National Chainsaw Week" in Wilderness Areas. Sections 4d(2) clearly allows the use of powered equipment stating: "(2) Nothing in this Act shall prevent within national forest wilderness areas any activity....if such activity is carried on in a manner compatible with the preservation of the wilderness environment". The USFS can, and has, made exceptions for chain saw use in Wilderness and it is perhaps time more consideration be given this issue due to the backlog of trail maintenance as noted in the National Forest System Trail Stewardship Act. Chain Saws are clearly more efficient than hand tools (and arguably more environmentally friendly). If the period is designated nationally, users adverse to hearing a chain saw can be forewarned and avoid the area. If "noise" is a hurdle that prevents the use of chain saws, then battery operated saws could be used.

I like the idea of a "quiet" chainsaw, but I too doubt the battery operated saws are developed to the degree to be practical in backcountry use.

I am in search of examples of chainsaws used in wilderness areas by either BLM, USFS, NPS, or USF and Wildlife Service. You help is appreciated.

I had never seen this thread before. I can't even read the first page of it because I know the idiocy of the USES and other Ecology agencies I would find within would drive me too crazy to type anything. I have been around far too many gov't employees who think the answer to all problems is to just give them more money to solve their special problem.

Here is another classic USFS Wilderness story - they asked me for help obtaining seed from a certain tree species. But only from within a specified small local area. The best example of the species that can be found are inside a Wilderness area - and actually, all through a constructed campground (must have been in there before the Wilderness designation, I don't get that part). These were also the only trees I could find with seed that year, after basically volunteering a day of time away from a paying job looking for them (rain/rest day for me). I told them the seed could be easily obtained by just cutting some 6" twigs off the ends of the branches. Can't - Wilderness. Can't touch the live native natural trees even inside a man constructed campground, it would be disturbing the "Wilderness".

They also suggested I needed a permit, to collect seed - for them to use. There was only 3 days left before the seed would ripen and blow away in the wind, but it would take them 3 weeks to make a decision on the permit. I also basically knew that if I was a "non" profit group of some kind, with a nice salary and benefits, they would gladly hand over a thousand dollars for the seed. But if I wanted to make a casual $200 for a short work day and 4 hours of travel time, I would be robbing the poor Government with my "profit".

So, they would just have to suffer with the 'Good Enough' rather than the 'Perfect' and use seed from outside the local area. Because, Wilderness.

Whole area was shot through with invasive Asian Honeysuckle and they were completely helpless in making a decision on what to do about that. I told them to wrap a chain around the big ones, next to the road (not a roadless "Wilderness", somehow), and pull them out with a vehicle, to wipe out the main on-site seed source, pronto. Can't - Wilderness - no use of vehicles. Herbicide - nope, special Herbicide policy still under construction after 5 years of study. I am fairly sure all those non-native Honeysuckle are still there (four years on, now), spreading steadily through the Wilderness, while the USFS employees whine and moan that they don't have enough money to hire a bunch of people to spend 3 hours pulling little Honeysuckle bushes out of the ground by hand and f-off and drive around for the other 5 hours of the day, all on a nice salary/benefits package. (And Honeysuckle really is a bad invasive plant problem - best to start eradicating it as soon as you discover it.)

Back