chainsaws leaking oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Graff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, I have 2 saws leaking bar oil. Stihl ms200T and MS241C. How would one go about checking to see where they're leaking from? The cap seals look good at this point. Saws are sitting level.

I haven't checked those. I have a look from the outside of the saw, but don't want to take something apart that is complicated to get back together when there's an easier way.

So, I have 2 saws leaking bar oil. Stihl ms200T and MS241C. How would one go about checking to see where they're leaking from? The cap seals look good at this point. Saws are sitting level.
leaking from the cap or the oiler hole/bar area? the o rings can go bad but i think i may have only ever repalaced 1 or 2. i did have 1 cap that had a hairline crack in it and my dealer gave me another one. just curious but what weight bar oil do you use?

Store them on their side...........I have had hundreds of saws and all of them have external lub seeping out while setting. It is either coming from the vent, pump, rubber line , crack case, oil cap. It is usually an easy fix, but a new pump on some is the only way to go and they will leak, but usually not as bad as one worn.

leaking from the cap or the oiler hole/bar area? the o rings can go bad but i think i may have only ever repalaced 1 or 2. i did have 1 cap that had a hairline crack in it and my dealer gave me another one. just curious but what weight bar oil do you use?
At this point, all I know is that the oil is appearing under the saws. It doesn't look like the oil is coming from the caps.

Wash the saw then put the saw in a vise( bar) put newspaper under it. And check it often. If it’s a seal or o ring leaking make sure a shaft isn’t nicked. Or it will cut the new seal or o ring again. The second test after the vise is to remove the bar and chain place the saw on newspaper and watch it. When is the last time you cleaned the groove in the bar? Clean the surface were the bar is clamped too. Saw dust does get in there and it can leak too.

I notice saws with longer bars do drip some oil. At the Jeep dealer my boss called it running seepage, the bottom of the cj5 was soaked with oil. That’s unacceptable but I kept my mouth shut.

my sons dirtbike was leaking oil out the shifter shaft. The shaft had a nick in it and it cut the new seal. I sanded the nick flush and put newspaper under the bike. I get up first in the morning and seen the leak has stopped. I poured oil on the newspaper and left for work. He was mighty upset I just laughed.

If the case seam is leaking we’re the bar oil is there’s a silicone called pro seal on eBay. I used it outside on a dirtbike tranny case to stop a gear oil leak. I drained the tranny, washed it with simple green, then with alcohol, then applied the silicone on the seam. Then a put a spot light bulb overnight to cure the silicone. It never leaked again. It was an older bike we couldn’t get parts for.

Its the nature of the beast. Its a chainsaw, its going to leak oil. Ive lost count of how many saws Ive had in my lifetime and when used, every single one of them will leak to some degree. Ive got 2 saws right now that have never leaked a drop of oil in the year or so that Ive owned them: one is a 390xp and the other is a 372/375xp. The reason they have never leaked is because they have NEVER had a single drop of oil or gas put in them! :D

Yep, they leak. My 346xp spewed oil when I got it, replaced the o-ring and that fixed it. I use thick cardboard to set my saws on, soaks up the oil.

ok, so, rather than looking at the easy part first, I took the side of the ms200 off to have a look at the oiler. The oiler and the connection into the tank were dry. Oh well, it could use a blowing out anyways.

Note to self, release the chain break when taking the side cover off that saw.

Took off the recoil cover, and the whole of that side was soaked in oil. Looked at the caps I was sure weren't the problem. Looks like the o-ring had debris on it.

Same with the MS241. I have to get them cleaned up now. I"ll report back if that worked.

Check the tank vents.
I've been trying to find a tank vent. Any idea where it's at? Right now, I'd think that the caps may be more at fault. I took the caps out, cleaned them up really good, took the o-rings off, and wiped them good, and wiped down the mating surfaces for the tanks. I added some bar oil to the tanks. Still seem to be leaking. Bad o-rings or bad caps??

I didn't fire the saws up after filling. I used med weight stihl oil.

Back