Chaisaw Size Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently had a tree climber cut down a 100 ft. white pine tree. I am left with some pretty good size 3 to 4 ft. diameter logs that I want to cut up. I have done what I could with my Stihl MS250 18" bar. I am now looking for a bigger saw that I can afford and have narrowed it down to the Husqvarna 365 with a 28 inch bar or the Stihl 391 that can take up to a 25 inch bar. Both saws are 64 cc and a little over 4 h.p. My concern is with the bar lengths. The Stihl can take up to a 25 inch bar although on Stihl's website the recommended length is 16 to 20 inch. The Husky can take up to a 28 inch bar length. I can buy the 28-inch Husky for 569.95 and the Stihl 25-inch for $599.95 Would I do better with a 28 inch bar or would I be sacrificing performance with it. I do like Stihl equipment and have never owned anything made by Husqvarna.
Thank you for all your help.

Are you going to use the saw again? Why don't you rent a 64cc makita from Home Depot? You could run up to a 28" bar and chain on that saw and not have to buy another saw.... unless you want another saw.

Those seen like good prices to me, if the bars are included, especially if that includes tax. There are two sweet jonsered 2166 in the tradin' post, same as the 365. $540 for one, and one at $640 with some great modifications.

I have a dolmar/makita 7910 which would also do the job in that size range.

Definitely the 365 over the 391. The 365/372 are much better saws than the 391. The Stihl comparable saw is the 461. Good luck.

Back