champion splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Champion splitter is fine but sometimes the logs cut are a bit long for my firebox And I have to put them aside and recut them, thats a pain
So yesterday I had one split, and knowing with the knife does not go to the end of the travel, I got a piece of 1\4 plate cut 5 1/2in wide and 7in long,and put the knife as far forward as it would go and cut a couple of lengths of 2x1x 1/4 RHS.
the height of the knife.
The plate had to be notched on each side to sit in the bottom of the knife slide, central and clamped it in place on both sides, I did not do anything to the log "teeth " on the baseplate
In the center of the base plate, in line with the knife center I drilled a hole 5 /16 right through the base and the 1/4 plate This is held by a socket head screw and nut, to the base plate
I then put the 2x1 on each side of the knife with the 2' side out and tacked it in place then removed it and fully welded it.
I tried it this morning and it cut the split log like a charm.
The good thing is that when I need to put the splitter vertical There is one bolt and it is back to original

I thought about making something permanent like that. Never got around to it, I just take a piece of two by 6 and set it in there. It's a must have on Hickory. That stuff can have just a quarter inch holding and you cant' pull it apart.

I have thought about doing something like that for years, would like to see a pic of what you have done.

Latest posts

Back