Change 084 to 3/8 from 404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What is necessary (besides a new bar, chain and sprocket) to change an 084 from 404 to 3/8? Can you run 3/8 .050? or should you run 3/8 .063?

This will be my milling saw.

Thanks

Tom

Tom- those are all the parts you need to switch over.

Run the narrowest gauge of chain you can get away with, but keep in mind that .050 gauge bars get clogged with sawdust a lot more easily.

Is the bar mount on the 084 the same as like an 066? So any bar that fits an 066 would fit on an 084?

Also, would the same sprocket from an 066 fit on the 084?

Thanks

Tom

Who makes bars that will fit the 084 with the 3/8 .050? I can find a couple Stihl 3/8 .063 and Oregon didn't seem to have anything for the 084 in 3/8. Anyone know where else to look?

Thanks

Tom

Talk to Jeff Sikkema, he can get ( last I checked ) GB bars in .050ga. 3/8 or .325 pitch 36" and 42"
I have the .325 42" on my 090, does real well for milling.

The 50 thou. big mount bars are hard to find, as the racers like to use them and I don't think Stihl has anymore, but you could try Cannon, however, 58 or 63 is more than fine for milling. Try Z4Lunch, Steve has lots of bars, here's one I got from Steve or Marky Mark.
John

For milling I've kept with 0.63 guage, it works well. I have had bad luck with 0.50 gauge. The back bottom edge of the teeth seem to wear much more and make the tooth lean back and change your original cutting angle, and the wear wasn't from lack of oil.

084 sprockets

I have an 084 that currently has a .404 sprocket. I want to change it to .375. I was just wondering what is the range is sizes available for an 084. I have only seen 7 and 8 tooth sprockets. Are there any made that are larger? I will be using this saw for milling, and I believe I will have more than enough power for the size of trees i will be mostly milling (it's getting dean's stage 3T, So I figured increasing chainspeed with the largest possible sprocket would be best for increasing productivity. Any thoughts or suggestions.

From Stihl an 8 is all you are going to get. There might be an orgeon replacment, in 9.. maybe. For milling bigger wood you are going to be much happier with a 7 or 8 in any case. You need torque more than chain speed.

Be careful milling... you don't want your saw "on the edge" - "the edge" is where the piston melts and you get really mad.. Be very conservative with carb settings and fuel mix. IMO.. It needs to be DETUNED to about 80% (just a guestimate) power, not maxed out. Milling is a full continous power operation often for an entire tank - not what the saw was designed for.

A sharp chain is far more productive than incrementally more HP... My second pass though a hard 12 foot x 24 inch log is nearly half the speed of the first and by the third, I need to sharpen the chain as it's dull. Close to the edge + "dull" chain = dead or stressed saw.

I wouldn't do it on a milling machine.
But if you decide to want to have fun cutting wood with it. 9T and 10T 3/8 readily available go for $21 a piece and can be bought easily. 11T and up, you will have to use a different vendor.

I switched my 404 bars to 3/8 on my 084. I just changed noses. I did stay with 063 because I liked the hole Stihl uses in their 063 chain to carry more oil. I posted changing noses here somewhere. Let me find a link. I bought a 32" bar from Dean for $20 and the 3/8 nose is about $20 as well. PM Aggiewoodbutcher if you want a 42" Stihl bar. Let me find that link.

Has anyone seen a 32" 3/8 050 for a 084? All i can find is 30" and 36" new. I have the 32" 105 DL chains already, so I was trying to keep them all the same.

What is necessary (besides a new bar, chain and sprocket) to change an 084 from 404 to 3/8? Can you run 3/8 .050? or should you run 3/8 .063?

This will be my milling saw.

Thanks

Tom

My 066 was set up for .404 and I converted to 3/8. New rim sprocket and changed the nose on the bar. Easy.

You could talk with these guys. www.chainbars.com I don't know what they'd charge, might be just as much as a Cannon or Woodsman Pro. I believe you can get 3/8 3002 mount bars from Baileys in the Woodsman pro brand. Not sure if they have .050" or only .063"

From Stihl an 8 is all you are going to get. There might be an orgeon replacment, in 9.. maybe. For milling bigger wood you are going to be much happier with a 7 or 8 in any case. You need torque more than chain speed.

Be careful milling... you don't want your saw "on the edge" - "the edge" is where the piston melts and you get really mad.. Be very conservative with carb settings and fuel mix. IMO.. It needs to be DETUNED to about 80% (just a guestimate) power, not maxed out. Milling is a full continous power operation often for an entire tank - not what the saw was designed for.

A sharp chain is far more productive than incrementally more HP... My second pass though a hard 12 foot x 24 inch log is nearly half the speed of the first and by the third, I need to sharpen the chain as it's dull. Close to the edge + "dull" chain = dead or stressed saw.

Very good advice. I tried a 9T 3/8" sprocket on my saw and the results were not favorable to milling. I go with 8T for 3/8" and 7T for .404. Maximizing torque will reduce the tendency of the saw to bog down and stop when you hit an unexpected hard spot or push too hard.

Now, a 9T-3/8" sprocket with a 32" bar on a 084 worked over by Dean sure is fun for cross cutting and showing off.:chainsaw: :)

PS- if you really want a 9T sprocket, ask Dean for one. That's where I got mine.

I wouldn't do it on a milling machine.
But if you decide to want to have fun cutting wood with it. 9T and 10T 3/8 readily available go for $21 a piece and can be bought easily. 11T and up, you will have to use a different vendor.

Who's the vendor?

I haven't found any, but would like to try one. Running an Oregon Power match plus bar from a standard stihl that we milled out to fit (30" .050x.375) the 084. Using an 8 tooth, but I know the saw would handle a 9, maybe a 10. Only problem with going bigger might be that the heel of the bar might not be big enough for the bigger sprocket. Back to the milling machine????

Last edited:
Back