Chap Demonstration, Using Stihl 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 minutes to do a simple cut test on chaps! I bailed out after 5 mins and all I saw was cookies getting cut tractors picking up logs and the 036 is a great saw that's lasted 25years. Sorry but good editing will show what your intentions are and give viewers what they are expecting.

15 minutes to do a simple cut test on chaps! I bailed out after 5 mins and all I saw was cookies getting cut tractors picking up logs and the 036 is a great saw that's lasted 25years. Sorry but good editing will show what your intentions are and give viewers what they are expecting.
I stuck it out. There was the typical brand cheerleading but the actual test was good.

If I were to make a two minute video there would be hundreds of questions like what saw was that? How many layer chaps are they? Why did you strap it to a log? and on and on. So I try in my videos to provide as much information as I can because many people like details. Others like yourself with short attention span and don't care about details can simply scroll through to the part where the saw hits the chaps and move on. Thats the beauty of youtube

The neighbors had two professional logger come in six weeks ago. One cut, and his dad ran a skidder. I sometimes stopped and talked to them during their lunch break. The younger guy was wearing chaps one day, which he had not been previously. He spent some time at the hospital the day before getting fourteen stitches in his shin. He was going to show me pictures but I said no thanks...

I've got a few videos I pull up to show new guys in training that chaps work.

Won't be adding this one as it is way too long and has little to do with chaps, feels more like a vlog I guess.

Here is a video I did a few weeks back testing how effective chaps really are.
Nice video - finally got a chance to watch it on my desktop computer (had limited service on a cell phone for a few days).

There are a number of similar demos on YouTube - some will appeal more to certain folks, but they are pretty consistent in their message.

Philbert

P.S. - because I am 'frugal', I usually use old chaps, or those retired for other reasons. Get 2 demos out of each pair!
Then I save all the buckles (ones on the legs sometimes fall off) and lately, save the fabric for repairs: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chaps-repair.324300/
But even the 'destroyed' leg can be a useful visual aid in a chainsaw safety class.

If I were to make a two minute video there would be hundreds of questions like what saw was that? How many layer chaps are they? Why did you strap it to a log? and on and on. So I try in my videos to provide as much information as I can because many people like details. Others like yourself with short attention span and don't care about details can simply scroll through to the part where the saw hits the chaps and move on. Thats the beauty of youtube

The Video has a LOT of Value, agree that if even one person uses them because of the video, and avoids an injury(or worse) it was worth it, BUT we really don't need to watch tractors moving logs around, at least you sped up the strapping process, as mentioned Fluff/Filling doesn't add to the video, and is only likely to lose viewers. It's NOT a short attention span issue, it's a Is there really anything worth watching here? thing, Getting to the point in a TIMELY manner is PRICELESS.

Thank You for the video, but it would have been more effective, in Half the time.

Doug :cheers:

I’m shocked they work that good. I’ve had a pair for years and hardly ever worn them, always wear them when it’s cold. I always figured they would only help some if you cut yourself.

I’m shocked they work that good. I’ve had a pair for years and hardly ever worn them, always wear them when it’s cold. I always figured they would only help some if you cut yourself.

If the bar has a lot of momentum, you can stihl get a Nasty Bruise, but it is Incredible how much they prevent a cutting accident, I can Live with the Bruise;)

Doug :cheers:

I generally wear mine I have seen several videos all seem to be about the same stops the saw before the cut goes through or very little damage to the "leg"

I know my hard hat has saved me serious injury , I would rather not test the chaps , but still wear them.

I wear safety toe boots , saw chaps , hard hat with ear protection and face screen and safety glasses.
not sure how people cut without safety glasses , I end up with chips blowing every where I still get particles in my eye with safety glasses on at least they are not direct hits

I wear RX safety glasses so they are just on all the time.

Latest posts

Back