Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of Stihl about 10 years old and a pair of Efco (new old stock got a great price) neither are leg wrap below the knee like the newer chaps a friend has Husquvarna chaps and my dealer has a pair of Oregon chaps on display that very definitely worked while on a customers leg.

any major brand that have videos or shows test of them working , find what fits you the best so that you will wear them

I'd buy Labonville if I was buying new chaps. Currently I'm wearing Husqvarna Classic pants instead of chaps. They're really comfortable. I like that I can put them on in the morning and not have to think about it all day long.

Have a pair of the husky chaps. They drive me nuts, always slowly pulling my pants down, and hot. I don't use them 100% of the time, and I should. But I can't stand them if its not cold outside.

That said, I'm not sure any other chaps would be any different.

They were pretty cheap, so that's what I've got.

I have Stihl Woodcutters. I've had them 5 years, and they have held up really well. Thankfully, I haven't needed them to stop a saw, but they have proven to be pretty tear resistant against branches and such.

I'm using these:
https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Cha...qid=1549463461&sr=8-3&keywords=chainsaw+chaps

They're like child car seats... they all meet the same minimum safety and performance standards You're paying extra for better construction and material quality, features, and sometimes the name.

For how hard you "play", will the expensive ones outlast the cheap ones? Maybe. That is something that should be considered.

Will the cheap ones protect you any less than the expensive ones? Maybe. They will ALL protect you to the same MINIMUM level. The more expensive ones may go above and beyond the minimum requirements. If the question is "will all of them offer the same minimum protection", then the answer is yes.

I'm using these:
https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Cha...qid=1549463461&sr=8-3&keywords=chainsaw+chaps

They're like child car seats... they all meet the same minimum safety and performance standards You're paying extra for better construction and material quality, features, and sometimes the name.

For how hard you "play", will the expensive ones outlast the cheap ones? Maybe. That is something that should be considered.

Will the cheap ones protect you any less than the expensive ones? Maybe. They will ALL protect you to the same MINIMUM level. The more expensive ones may go above and beyond the minimum requirements. If the question is "will all of them offer the same minimum protection", then the answer is yes.

comparison same saw , cheap amazon chap vs the Stihl promark 9 layer , the gouge in the log suggests minimum is that minimum it stops a saw not running full and dropped on the leg. but only reduces the injury vs the more layers.

I'd buy Labonville if I was buying new chaps. Currently I'm wearing Husqvarna Classic pants instead of chaps. They're really comfortable. I like that I can put them on in the morning and not have to think about it all day long.

I've got some Husqvarna pants also. Very comfortable with suspenders although mighty warm in the summer. When I wear chaps, clip on suspenders help keep them in place if you abdominally, challenged.

I have issues with clip suspenders , they keep sliding off , working and pow a clips lets go, I wish they would put grommets in the belt and I could just clip them into my load bearing suspenders .

I think I might have a grommet kit around here and could do just that

do you wear pants under chainsaw pants or just pull them on over the long underwear ?

I have issues with clip suspenders , they keep sliding off , working and pow a clips lets go, I wish they would put grommets in the belt and I could just clip them into my load bearing suspenders .

I think I might have a grommet kit around here and could do just that

do you wear pants under chainsaw pants or just pull them on over the long underwear ?

Generally wear chainsaw pants over long underwear in the Winter, warm and comfy. No Long underwear in the summer. I really don't like chaps.

Get the pants and suspenders , Stihl or Husqvarna both sell a couple of different versions .
I gave my chaps to a friend years ago , I never wore them , I've worn out 4 pair of pants .

Most all of my cutting is just noodling logs so I never use them. You just have to make sure when the bar clears the cut you short stop and don't let the saw drop down. I treat the bar the same as a loaded gun and never let myself get anywhere near the business end.

There is a problem with protective gear. Not a problem in the cooler months, but when it gets warm what do you do. Me I put on a T shirt some shorts my hiking shoes and fire up my saws to cut wood. Also I use eye protection and hear protection, but nothing else. I would not recommend this to any one though. I have made a commitment to change this summer. I have a new kid to look out for and to show him what safety is. To wear chaps in the sun is not safe either. When you can cut in a little shade that helps. Many healthy guys have had heat stroke issues and have passed out. At my timber sale we are going to try to rise at 3 AM start work at 5 AM work until noon have some watermelon then take the kevlar stuff off. It would not be hard to bleed to death from a small cut. The full wrap around pants look like awesome. Regular chaps look good too. What about the upper body. Thanks

Back