Cheap (but decent) backup saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus 1 on the Homelite xl-12. It's dead reliable and around here at least you can find one for about $100. There are a lot of Homelites to choose from in this size range, they made quite a few variations.
Homelite, Mac, and Pioneer of that era are all good choices.
Just try to find one with light wear as parts for certain models can be hard to find.

The joncutter 5800 is a little over a 100 bucks but is way better than any other new saw that's close to that price.
A used pro saw is the way to go if you can find one but around my place they're hard to find and expensive so I went the Chinese saw route.

Thank you all for the suggestions, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Another thing I might just end up doing is buying another 041AV off ebay and fixing that up. It's a pretty heavy saw compared to a lot of others I've picked up, but maybe having the same thing around would be a good idea too.

What I really want is an 026 pro, and maybe I'll just have to explain to my wife just how absolutely necessary it is. :D

On the Poulan front, it sounds like maybe I've had worse luck than normal with them? Or are there just specific models that are decent saws?
My first saw was a Poulan Pro 50/20. What a POS didn’t even make it through the warranty ! Was in the shop more than I used it. Luckily the box store I bought it from honored the warranty and I got my money back. I’m a form believer that you get what you pay for when buying chainsaws.

My first saw was a Poulan Pro 50/20. What a POS didn’t even make it through the warranty ! Was in the shop more than I used it. Luckily the box store I bought it from honored the warranty and I got my money back. I’m a form believer that you get what you pay for when buying chainsaws.
Those are pretty decent saws if they are tuned properly and have the muffler modded. Out of the box they are usually tuned so lean that they won’t rev up.

My Stihl 026 was $60. Needed a little work but nothing big. Way better than a modern Poulan in longevity and power.

Ive seen a Husqvarna 61 for $125 in good running condition. My complaint with Poulan is the chincy air cleaner. It does not seal well and debris can make it past. Stihl and Husqvarna pro don't leave this to chance.

"Right , get a CS400 Echo, muff modd and tune good. It will most likely be your favorite saw. Around $225 brand new off Ebay, most used runners are $150."

+ 2 or 3

EXCELLENT saws and reasonably priced, as is it's little brother the CS-370.......Cliff

Back