Cheap Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy everybody,

How can I buy a Stihl cheaper than what my dealers wants?
Thanks for your help

Harley

try ebay - or drive to another stihl dealer. stihl does not allow internet, phone or mail order. im pretty darn certain that you will find the prices on stihls pretty similar everywhere, since stihl keeps their dealers in a stranglehold.

Thats the reason why I posted.

There are numerous dealers around here, however they all get their prices out of a Stihl guide for the area. Most are not that knowledgeable, and even the ones that are good, don't know everything. I don't feel like paying them too much money.

I check E-bay now every couple of days. I'm just learning about how to check sellers out on there. Its pretty interesting.

Harley

Email Gypo Logger. He is always selling new Stihls at reasonable prices. I think he ambushes the trucks as they go through his part of Oh Canada and hijacks them with his Greffardized Jonsered 2171. He has to use it for that because it sure hasnt cut any wood yet.

You probably can't because margins are pretty slim. Dealers will throw in hats and extra chains but substantial discounts are pretty rare.

Since you're in PA, you might want to check with some Canadian dealers. There's a rumor that chain saws in Canada are 20% cheaper due to some weird Canadian law having to do with government mandated northern climate discounts.

Anyone know the details?

Originally posted by Harley
Howdy everybody,

How can I buy a Stihl cheaper than what my dealers wants?
Thanks for your help

Harley

Harley,

You may not be able to get the saw cheaper, but a good dealer will throw in enough freebies to offset the list price. 2,3, or 4 chains @ $20/loop adds up, and some files or some t-shirts, etc. sweeten the pot. Of course, you may not need any of the extras, and therefore they have little value in making it up.

But I think you weren't asking for some practical advice, but trying to make the point. Good for you. If the Stihl dealers were allowed to compete against each other, we'd all have better service, since the ones that don't make the grade with their likely repeat customers, won't be in business for long, or they will change their ways (I would hope).

Margins

I`m probably going to get shot for this, but last I knew, the margin on Stihl was around 21%, Husky and Jonsered, slightly higher. What model Stihl are you looking for? Russ

Lowest I have ever seen my boss sell an 066Mag for is $800+tax. Normal is $819+tax.
Lowest I have ever seen an 046 go for is $700+tax. Normal price is $729+tax.

Harley..what are you looking for? and what kind of magic do you want put into it? Across the board, most dealers are looking at 20 points..plus or minus a few depending on how much they buy..knowledge varies....goodies vary...but yes, here in Canada, you have the benefit of exchange..and the fact that everyone here has a saw either for cutting ice blocks for the igloo or chasing polar bears...

Dennis, If i was looking to buy a new stihl. I would defantly price one in canada. I have reltive that is a stihl dealer and the last saw i bought i got from walkers and with walkerizing i got it for $15.00 less than i could hear in the states

Stihl Margin

Hi Sonny, I was speaking out of school, if you know what I mean. I`m talking retail prices and that doesn`t mean that a dealer truly makes that margin on a sale does it. That`s mark up in the truest, simplest sense, without accounting for shop overhead and other costs of doing business. The money in chainsaws is in repair work, and accessories to a more limited extent, especially when you can buy bars and chains off the internet delivered to your door for what the small shop pays at "wholesale". I advocate finding a reputable shop and sticking with them as much as possible, that`s in the consumers best interest long term. As much as I like cheap chain and bars, I still go to my favorite dealers and buy from them also. They`ve got to eat too. Russ

I agree 100%..20 points is at full retail and it is quite rare that one gets full retail on a unit. The one advantage I have with Huskies is the fact that they are a pay as sold item...which doesn't put me out alot of cash right off...but my Stihls and Jonsereds, I do have to buy up front.

Sonny, Wow, in California dealers must cut each others necks. When I was a dealer it was like 15% when we had to buy through a non stihl owned distributor and like 20% when they cancelled them and went to a stihl owned distributor. One thing I like about Stihl is their distributors. They know stihl and stihl only. Dont have a bunch of other crap to worry about. Like one Husky distributor has everything including gokarts. They get way to busy and a lot less efficient.

Howdy,

I have been watching this Stihl North American distribution thing with no small interest. The Stihl company suffered mightily to set this up, taking some massive lawsuits, especially in the NW. but once they make a decission, they see it through no matter what.

My marketing manager once told me to tend to the technical buisness, and keep my ???? nose out of the marketing, but I just can't help but watch the jerking around that goes on in the world of chainsaws from a marketing view. (I was trained to think this way by a fine professor of marketing in college). I operate from what is called the "marketing mix" and that kind of outlook gets you in trouble with about everybody.

It has been my observation, that distributors operate on the thinnest margins in the industry, typically 15% on sales, never over 17% to my knowledge. Factories on the other hand, seem to be unable to operate on less than a 20% cost of sales in distribution, in addition to the normal cost of sales at the factory. Now if you stop to think about it, this is acutally very obvious. The factory man shows up in a new rig, wearing a tie and pressed shirt, and is expected to take you out to lunch at the very least, right? He then has to "give" on the rediculous warranty claim that your mechanic has concocted with writting ability surpassing Mark Twain. Furthermore you can sure bet that the factory representative is not apt to be on hamburger budgets and staying in back country motels.

Now as a rule, considering recieveables, factories are a sunk monk before they begin in this buisness, as the normal dealer will pay the factory usually slow and late. A distributor, as a rule, is paid more promptly. This effect has historically sunk factory distribution in the past. It's kind of like the logger paying his dealer his saw bill. First paid is always the bar bill, then the grocery store and mabe bank, and then if there is anything left the dealer may get a token payment. Buy the time this kind of thing trickles down to the factory, it is all curtains and darkness!

Ok, there I go again, meddling where not invited.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks guys.

I agree about the dealers not being what they should be. Why does Stihl have so many? One dealer near me is a joke, another is just a private home depot.

I try and buy all of my stuff from one dealer( the one that I think is the best). When I bought my last saw there (November), I think I saw the price of a 044 was close to 800$. A 066 was 900 something. I'll have to get out Monday and check the prices( Its snowing right now).

I'm looking for an 046 soon. I feel the need for more power. I don't even remember seeing one in the dealers around here. I don't really feel like paying much more than 650 for one. Especially since I can buy a 372 from CCD for 550.

Harley

Latest posts

Back