Check out my old Homelite XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXJEREMY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My uncle gave this saw to me a couple of years back, he bought it back in '81 to cut up some limbs after a storm. Said he fired it up once and then put it away, sat in his storage shed for over 25 yrs. He kept everything including the original manuals, he even had the receipt, paid $91 bucks including tax at k-mart.

When I got it, the thing pissed oil after it was shut off, so I replaced the duck bill valve in the oil tank but it still leaks when it's sitting. I've had to tinker with the carb to get it stay idling, so I'm guessing it's probably in need of a rebuild.

Anyway, here are some pics..I've used it a couple of times to cut up downed limbs but now that I have two other saws that work well it's just sitting in my shed..

I'm pretty sure it's a 14 inch bar, here are some #'s off the cover, not sure if they can provide any useful info: UT No 10618, Ser. 7C1211095.

Found a guy on ebay that sells parts, but I'm not sure I really want to put a whole lot of $$ into it. Is it worth keeping and trying to fix leaking oil and carb problem or should I get rid of it? Thanks.

img_1751.jpg

img_1752.jpg

img_1756.jpg

img_1757.jpg

img_1758.jpg

img_1759.jpg

img_1760.jpg

I have 2 of these saws and other than the fact they are hard to work on for me because I have such big hands, they are a nice trimming saw. One unique thing is the entire motor slides out of the case after you take the screws out.

If that saw was purchased new in 1981 then the air filter is gone. For $25 you can put a new air filter, carb kit, lines (oil and fuel), and fuel filter. They are great little trim saws and are very durable.

I've got a guy that has told me he wants every one I get my hands on. He's got several hands that work for him and it's the only saw they can't tear up (his words, not mine).

If that saw was purchased new in 1981 then the air filter is gone. For $25 you can put a new air filter, carb kit, lines (oil and fuel), and fuel filter. They are great little trim saws and are very durable.

I've got a guy that has told me he wants every one I get my hands on. He's got several hands that work for him and it's the only saw they can't tear up (his words, not mine).

Try $ 20.00

Keep it. Its a beauty. Dont see them that nice very often. As was mentioned, those little saws last forever.:greenchainsaw:

I see a lot of people calling these little Homelites trim saws and they do fit that category's real well but I have a local fella that brings in one almost every fall to have it tuned up. No one else wants to work on them he tells me so I always give it a good going over and it runs remarkably well. Now he uses that little saw to cut up 3-4 cords of firewood each year and has done so with this very saw since around 1980, its a tough one all right.
Pioneerguy600

There was the XL, the XL-2, and the Super-2. The XL and XL-2 had a smaller engine than the Super-2. The XL used oil tank pressure alone to push oil to the bar, while the XL-2 pushed the oil to a diaphragm-driven oil pump which pushed oil to the bar. The duckbill in the oil tank is attached to the pressurizing line with a porous sleeve that allows oil tank pressure to bleed back into the crankcase. If the duckbill valve is butted tightly against the end of the oil line, then the oil tank pressure will continue to push oil to the bar even after the engine is stopped. There should be at leadt 1/16" of an inch of exposed porous sleeve. The oil flow is regulated by exposing more or less of this sleeve.

Guess it can't hurt to keep it, not like it's taking up a lot of space.

You know, I don't think I replaced the air filter, good call.

Where can I order this kit for $20 bucks?

Try $ 20.00

This is great information, I guess I need to check to see how far I pushed the duck bill on there..I'm willing to bet I pushed it the whole way down. Thanks for all of the help guys.

There was the XL, the XL-2, and the Super-2. The XL and XL-2 had a smaller engine than the Super-2. The XL used oil tank pressure alone to push oil to the bar, while the XL-2 pushed the oil to a diaphragm-driven oil pump which pushed oil to the bar. The duckbill in the oil tank is attached to the pressurizing line with a porous sleeve that allows oil tank pressure to bleed back into the crankcase. If the duckbill valve is butted tightly against the end of the oil line, then the oil tank pressure will continue to push oil to the bar even after the engine is stopped. There should be at leadt 1/16" of an inch of exposed porous sleeve. The oil flow is regulated by exposing more or less of this sleeve.

i had a super2 a few years ago,,,i cut bunches of wood with it,,,they are tough little saw for sure

Barney have that guy give me a call i may make him a deal for some super 2 s i have out back

jermil01 i will give you the part # for the package deal it will be a package i put together in one bundle do me a favor tell me if it has the zama carb or the walbro one ?

Last edited:
I'm 99% sure it's a Walbro, I check this week.

Barney have that guy give me a call i may make him a deal for some super 2 s i have out back

jermil01 i will give you the part # for the package deal it will be a package i put together in one bundle do me a favor tell me if it has the zama carb or the walbro one ?

Jermil, if i'm not mistaken i saw your vid on youtube when you first fired it up? that saw is cherry! i would definately keep it! that's about the size of my little poulan 2000. i love that saw! now rather than getting the big ol 6400 out of little stuff i get my 2000 and use for stuff up to 8 inches or so.

Great little saw. I think my pa in law has about a dozen or so of those little vibrators. After limbing for about an hour, you'll be ready to put in down and have a cup of coffee. He's also got one of the VI Super 2's, I really could not tell the difference. He still has the first one, an all metal XL, came with a 10 inch bar.

:cheers:

Not yet, I plan on opening up this weekend.

just wondering have you got around to this yet ?

Must have been someone else, I haven't posted any vids of it on youtube.

Jermil, if i'm not mistaken i saw your vid on youtube when you first fired it up? that saw is cherry! i would definately keep it! that's about the size of my little poulan 2000. i love that saw! now rather than getting the big ol 6400 out of little stuff i get my 2000 and use for stuff up to 8 inches or so.

You're right about the vibration, my hands stay numb for about an hour after using it.

Great little saw. I think my pa in law has about a dozen or so of those little vibrators. After limbing for about an hour, you'll be ready to put in down and have a cup of coffee. He's also got one of the VI Super 2's, I really could not tell the difference. He still has the first one, an all metal XL, came with a 10 inch bar.

:cheers:

Back