cheep mostiure meter are thay any good for checking mosture in firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
does any body know if the cheep firewood mosture meters that thay sell on ebay are acrate or just junk
could any one recomend a good one

I have a cheap one doesn't even have a name on it. Seems to work ok, wish I could be more help.

i bought a stihl meter. cost about $30. Haven’t been too happy with it. Doesn’t seem very consistent so I very rarely use it anymore. I guess I would try a $10 one next time and see if it’s any better

I bought a cheapy from the web for about £8 iirc, the 4* lr44 batteries I just had to replace cost more! It's a Knightsbridge, and it's shape is identical to the stihl meter, just different colours.... Doesn't mean the innards are the same but....

https://www.steelcitylighting.co.uk...BydXouZEd20WjpZUf3ethVcuQQ4QOPRwaAlRrEALw_wcB

Anyway, it seems to give consistent and very believable readings...18% on a dozen Oak splits seasoned 2 years, 19-20% on a dozen summer long seasoned pine splits, 25% on some ash left in the round for 6 months and high 30s on some stuff that was only a week or 3 down and bucked. It may be just making up numbers, but it has passed every test I've given it.

does any body know if the cheep firewood mosture meters that thay sell on ebay are acrate or just junk
could any one recomend a good one
Bought a Chinese unit ebay and works fine . $12, I think. it adds moisture pct numbers to what you already know from handling the wood and observing it burn. Experience tells you if a load is fit to burn, but a meter number moisture pct might settle an argument someday.

I bought a Stihl meter a couple of years ago. I use it and assume it works but how can someone calibrate the units? Is there a way to use it on something standard to actually see if it works correctly? I assume it works because nobody has complained about their firewood being too wet or green.

If you measure your palm with it you should get a certain reading. I forget exactly what that is - maybe 30%.

Don't make blood though - that messes the reading all up.

If you want to check it's accuracy properly, measure some splits with it, weigh the splits, dry them in the oven and re weigh, keep drying and reweighing until no weight change, it's then dry. Calculate the actual original moisture from the weights and compare to the meter reading

Latest posts

Back