ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Chemicals used in PHC

Discussion in 'Plant Health' started by Greenbrick, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Greenbrick

Greenbrick New Member

Hi,

I was offered a job as a Plant Health Care tec. with Davey Tree in the Chicago region. I have a background in organic agriculture so I am new to the tree care industry. I want to take the position as I love working outdoors and learning about plant care. My main concern is how often I will have to be handling restricted chemicals. I've got my State Pesticide Operators License and understand the use of PPE, but it would help if I knew if handling restricted (dangerous) chemicals is one of the main things that I will be doing or something that I will have to do only a fraction of the time.

Does anyone have any input from working as a PHC Tec. or with Davey Tree as a company?
    Any input would be helpful, thanks!

farmer steve likes this.
  2. ATH

ATH Addicted to ArboristSite

Ask then what products you would be using (and how often) and look them up. I think that is a more than fair question during the interview process.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of chemical handling - especially as a tech instead of sales.

Restricted doesn't always mean "dangerous"... sometimes those restrictions are to protect the environment.

Oldmaple, farmer steve and Greenbrick like this.
  3. Dbodave

Dbodave ArboristSite Member

Always read the product label of what you are handling. Only use the product if it is listed for control of the target pest. Most of the violations/ environmental disasters come from using products inappropriately. Linden trees and imidacloprid come to mind.

farmer steve, Greenbrick and ATH like this.