Cherry Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been getting $1.50 to $5.00 per board foot for grade logs,have cut about 20 out of my woods this winter to finish paying for my sons' college.:D Dan

Are those prices your are referring to 'the tree guy' for logs delivered at the mill?

By the way, what are prices out there like for hard maple and red oak.

Frank

fgangie,those are delivered to the mill cut to length and out of a woods that I own.Largest log was just under 38" and was probibly the best cherry in the woods,I will check on prices.I work for the local mill on small woods that they don't want to send a crew to.They usually give me good prices on my own logs.(but not always).Like John Paul said you will 20 to 30 trees for them to come get the trees,or if you cut them yourself you can make more money as long as youcan deliver them to a honest mill.John Lambert (gypo logger)cuts and sells alot of logS,hey John what kind of prices maple and red oak,white oak,and walnut bringing up north.:D Dan

Hi there, highgrade Maple brings me the best dollar for the most part, then Cherry, since the Cherry here has some pitch pockets.
I sell about ten different grades and average approx. 3.50/ft.U.S.
Before we all start to drool, it's important to realize that all trees are not created equal, however 10% of the trees from any given woodlot can represent 90% of the gross value.
John

Thanks for the info gyro logger. I have trouble with cherry down here too. I'm real lucky if it gets to 24'' BHD before something goes wrong, like the bark dies back at the ground line. I had one that was just as strait and true as it could be, about 18" BHD. I took out a poplar next to it to give a bit more light, start to grow real nice and then it three years it was dead.

Maple does good but I have to go across some tough slopes on my wood lot to get to it so I can't do it with the farm tractor. I'm looking for a good guy to work with that has a skidder.

Frank

Hi Frank. The State of New York probably has most and largest hardwood stands in North America, with a large amount that is privately owned. The highest quality trees in your area are between 18"- 21" DBH. Defects at ground level does not always indicate a lower grade, since this area is lost anyway during the manufacturing process. It is nice when we find that 30" cherry that is prime for the taking. If I had a green card I would come down and help you. Rough terrain with steep slopes often yeild tall, highgrade timber.
John

TreeDr. I was just on the phone with some big shot forrester guy. He told me that Cherry logs now are going for at least $4 per board foot. They will take trees down to 10" DBH. Apparently though Maple is a hot seller right now. Save whatever Maple you can, because I heard that it will fetch a higher price than some Cherry at this time.

Soft maple (usually red, very rarely silver) will sell for less than hard maple (sugar or black). When hard maple is selling high, soft maple will be selling high also.

Soft maple is used as a substitute (cheaper) than hard maple.

Right now maple, cherry, and walnut are high, everything is on the low side.

Yeah, JPS- I think the guy just said that Maple in general was selling for high. I think that he was particularly interested in Sugar Maple, but am not 100% certain of that. I should hopefully know a lot more by the end of the weekend.

Back