cherry tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all I have a cherry tree that has a crack in it. Is it bugs or what. I know this is very little info to work with but. I just moved here so I know very little about the trees here. So any help that you my have will be great. Thanks Randy:rolleyes:

whell my neightbor had a apple tree till it blew down in a storm and the thing had a split trunk and where it started cracking it put a cable around it and once a year in the spring he whent and tightened the cable to keep it from leaning more than it was. it worked pretty good untill the labor day storm. and during that storm anyting that wasn't down secure blew over. i think we spent close to a month clearing out the wind falls fromt eh woods. that storm was when i got my first saw.

Thanks for the info Homelite360. The tree is not that bad off. It's about 1" deep 1" wide & 3 feet long. Thanks for the info I my need to do that in time. :confused:

Howdy,

To seal a wound the poor man's way, just liberally paint it with tar. The more professional way is to use a wound heal that the professional arborists or orchardists use. You can get info from your local county extension agent, if all else fails.

The object is to seal the wound to keep out bugs. If the wound is not deep, weaking of the tree is not a factor. If the crack occured because the center of the tree has become a bug farm, you have a much deeper problem (pardon the pun). The only solution then is the professional, drilling and treating, if it is determined that the tree is not an irrevolcable hazard. (And these days, they generally seem to prefer to take out the tree).

Nature's way is to make the tree grow faster in areas where the wood grain has been strained. The wood then becomes even stronger and harder, called timber bind. This assumes a young vigorous tree, and assumes that the bugs have not gotten to it. I have seen these things get so hard, that the mill-saw will be going along, come to it, and then turn and go right out the side of the log! The roots react much the same way. In areas where the root wad has started to work loose, the roots then grow faster and into a larger area to strengthen the tree in the direction against the prevailing winds. If you build a house and leave only a few remaining trees out of a stand, guess what? Next wind they fall on the house, and everyone cusses the trees. It takes years for things to adapt.

Walt Galer

Thanks ;) Walt for the info. I need some tar. I can't see bugs but maybe I should wait for warmer weather. Thanks for your time, Randy

Howdy,

I would paint at least some crankcase drainage in there now. You will likely find hibranating critters in there for the winter already! You don't want to let them get started for next spring. When the weather warms enough to do it, then use the tar.

Remember, the outside little bit of the log is the only live wood. The heartwood is long dead, and makes a perfect haven for the bugs to escape preditors and build their nest, once they have access through the live wood. Once they get boring around inside there, the tree becomes seriously weakened against storms.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Cherries blow over around her about every wind storm. My suggestion is to cut it, use it for cook wood and plant an oak... sorry. It's been a long week.:(

Cherries blow over around her about every wind storm. My suggestion is to cut it, use it for cook wood and plant an oak... sorry. It's been a long week.:(

Back